Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Decisions, decisions! Rome and/or Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/decisions-decisions-rome-and-or-venice-58789/)

Cheryl Dec 30th, 1999 09:13 AM

Decisions, decisions! Rome and/or Venice

I have a wonderful problem...I cannot make a decision. I am buying a www.go-today.com package and can choose from the following packages: <BR>5 nights in Rome, or <BR>2 nights each in Rome, Venice and Florence. Any thoughts from some seasoned travelers? <BR>Thanks Cheryl

Ed Dec 30th, 1999 09:21 AM

Two nights anywhere means only one day there. <BR> <BR>I'd spend never any less than three nights in Rome, preferably at least four-five. <BR> <BR>Though it's way too short a time, you can see (skim) Florence on a day trip from Rome. <BR> <BR>Personally I'd opt for the five nights in Rome and consider a day trip to Florence. <BR> <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria

richard j vicek Dec 30th, 1999 10:02 AM

Good afternoon, Cheryl <BR>Agree totally with Ed, take the 5 nites <BR>in Rome and if possible make Florence <BR>a day trip, by rail it is only about <BR>2 1/2 hours by IC, or less. <BR>Rome has much to be seen, so does <BR>Firenze and Venice, leave the two <BR>later for your return trip. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL....

Patrick Dec 30th, 1999 11:06 AM

What has been said above is true so far as it goes, but ask yourself, "When will I be able to go back to Italy?" If you picture it being years from now with other trips to other countries before then, then I say do the 3 city combo. You won't get an in-depth perspective of any one city, but you will get a great comparison of three fairly separate and different cities. You can compare Rome to other places, and I am not that crazy about Florence --the most overrun with tourists of anywhere I've been in Italy (all right, I admit it has some of the most wonderful art and architecture in the world), but you will never be able to compare Venice with anywhere else you've ever been or will see. It is easy to say, save the others for your next trip, but if you feel that is not likely to happen, then go for the diversity. I first went to Italy thinking I would probably not be back for quite a while so spent 2 to 3 days in each of four cities, but loved it all so much, I've been back 5 times. Now I can do the in depth thing, but glad I started with an overall impression.

steve Dec 30th, 1999 12:37 PM

This topic will surely get many different answers. There are good arguments on either side. I would tend to go with the "get an overview" opinion and see all 3 cities. However, the shorter time you are going to be in one place the more organized you need to be in planning your visit.

Patrick Dec 30th, 1999 01:40 PM

A point I forgot to make above. Two nights in one city does not mean just one day there. Not when it takes just a couple of hours between these cities. Leave Rome at 8 in the morning and you are in Florence WELL before lunch for a pretty full day of sightseeing, a wonderful evening for strolling and eating, then another full day for sightseeing and museums, followed by another evening. That is plenty of time in my opinion to get a pretty good feel for Florence. Same for Venice. And although it would be hard to stay in Rome for just two nights, (hopefully you are arriving there early in the morning) and if you can survive the jet lag, you have two very full days to enjoy the city and two glorious nights.

Cheryl Z. Dec 30th, 1999 06:47 PM

<BR>That's a short length of time for any trip whether it's one city or more. Rome itself deserves 5 days, and you still wouldn't have experienced it all. I'd say, skip Venice, and as mentioned above, see Rome with a day trip (at least) to Florence. Save Venice and other areas for another, longer, trip.

Carol Dec 31st, 1999 06:07 AM

Hi Cheryl: <BR> <BR>If you've never been to Italy, I'd definitely go with the Rome, Venice, Florence trip. If you've already seen Venice and Florence, then spend the 5 nights in Rome. I also agree that 2 nights in each city can definitely mean at least 1.5 days there.

Dona Dec 31st, 1999 06:38 AM

Just another two cents - in my opinion Carol summed it up! <BR> <BR>Regardless of what you decide, it will be wonderful - have a great trip! <BR> <BR>Dona

Lindsay Jan 7th, 2000 01:17 AM

Cheryl, hi! <BR> <BR>PLEASE do not skip Venice!!! I was in Italy for 5 weeks in May/June '99 & I would definitely go to all three, I love Venice more than anywhere else!!(And I prefer Florence to Rome too, despite the history!!) Hard choice isn't it!!?

tanyia Jan 7th, 2000 08:50 AM

Can anyone comment on the quality of the trips that www.go-today.com is offering. I hate to say that some of them seem too good to be true, but...

john Jan 7th, 2000 10:12 AM

Have been to all three cities. Would do the 2/2/2. You will get a better flavor of Italy overall.

Dawn Jan 7th, 2000 10:34 AM

I agree witht the last poster, 2/2/2. This way you get an overview of what each city has to offer, and you can start planning your next extended visit to your favorite.