decision-making re: hotels and day trips London in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that the New Year is upon us, I'm trying to add to my plans for our family trip to London this June. We'll have six full days in London. I had originally planned to spend one night in Stratford-upon-Avon but there's not a play at that time that I'd like to see so I'm not sure that's a wise use of my time (a first time visitor to London with only six full days). I'll use one of my days to visit Oxford. So I really only have five full days and a lot of things I'd like to see. Given that, would you skip Stratford-upon-Avon?

Also, I got a very good weekend rate (three nights) at the Renaissance Chancery Court but the rate doubles (over $500. per night) for the next three nights. For this reason, I'm thinking about moving for those nights anyway. The best rate I'm finding at an interesting-looking place is a little over $300. per night for an executive room at the Rembrandt (including VAT and full English breakfast). Even the Holiday Inns are wanting over $300. Does this sound like an okay deal for the Rembrandt or should I hold on a bit for some upcoming deals there or elsewhere? I can't use Priceline because we need a triple.

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM

We stayed at the Rembrandtin October for about 85 p per night on a BA offer. Our room was not an executive suite but was large and well appointed with great large bed and very nice bathroom. We have stayed at the Rembrandt several times and like the location. The rate you mention sounds high. If there is not a play in Stratford I would definitely skip it--it is not a cute town. You might consider a trip out to Windsor castle and also see Eton. Good luck planning your trip!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not rent an apartment for the full 6 nights? You seem to have a quite generous budget and you will have more space in a nice 1 bdrm w/ sofa sleeper, or 2 bdrm flat. You'd save money, have more space, and not have to pack and move in the middle of your stay . . .
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

janisj -
I will look into that. I definitely want A/C since we are visiting in the summer. Having never been to London, evaluating apartments and locations is not as easy as evaluating hotels which are usually well-reviewed. Having a front desk and concierge to turn to is also sometimes nice when you are in a new place. I guess I'm just a "hotel person" in general. I did find a cute apartment in Edinburgh that I snapped up!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM

I second the vote to skip Stratford. There's really not much to do other than Shakespeare's house and seeing a play, and there is so much in London, especially if you're already using a day for Oxford. So unless you're really a Shakespeare buff, it's just not worth the extra time and expense to me. (I can't help on hotels - I'm on more of a hostel budget myself - but Janis's advice sounds excellent to me.) Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM

..another option for a hotel person (for those additional nights) is priceline. Excellent prices but you must read biddingfor travel first and I would also check the hotels which you may end up with on tripadvisor. I am not sure whether you are looking for a quad. If so this won't work but getting 2 doubles will.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM

You can include a tour of the rebuilt Globe Theater in London and maybe see a play there in lieu of going to Stratford-upon-Avon.

There is so much to do in London that you will need as much time there as you can squeeze in.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM

If you would rather go to Stratford and do the whole Shakespeare thing than just see a play at the Globe, then by all means do it. There's nothing "more important" in London than anywhere else in the UK.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM

Did you contact the Rembrandt direct? Their site says they guarantee the lowest rate. I've stayed there & agree with Nini plus the location is great. If you got that rate elsewhere, email them for the dates you want & double check.

http://tinyurl.com/y7vte2

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I've come to the conclusion that what I like most about Shakespeare - his work - took place mainly in London. I think I'll get my fix by going to see whatever comedy they have playing at the Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park and MAYBE tour the Globe.

If you paid 85 GBP then that would not be far off from the $191. quote I got for an executive room. Maybe yours included VAT though? I have contacted The Rembrandt directly via e-mail and will see what they say. I need a triple so we'll see how that affects things as well...

Thank you everyone. You're really helping me think through some of these issues. I'm sure not seeing many deals at all - on hotels, flights, or anything - but maybe it's too early.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:07 AM

Crazy4 - have you any idea how many British homes have AC? answer almost nixt. You do not need ac in london unless you get caught in a statistically unlikely heatwave.

ac means sealed rooms. sealed rooms are probably why so many children are allergic to this or that. Just open a window, for heaven's sake.

But then you will know best - never having been there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

fuzzylogic -
Why do you think the hotels have A/C at all - because it's NEVER needed?! When you're going on a tremendously expensive vacation (perhaps a once in a lifetime one) then you hopefully plan for possible heat in the summer! I don't have to have been somewhere to read what the highs are in the summer and know that I'm uncomfortable over a certain temp! And WHY be uncomfortable at all? Sometimes open windows don't solve the problem if there's poor cross ventilation. So take your soapbox elsewhere! (None of my family members have allergies, thank you.)
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:54 AM

Hey I like air-con in my hotels in summer and I am English (with no air con at home). The difference is that hotel windows are often restricted so that you can't really open them more than a couple of inches and I like my windows wide open in summer. I even have my bedroom windows open during the winter (and no heating on in the bedroom) as I get hot easily. So, in London, a hot sticky city, yes, I always go for air-con.