Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Deciding between Hotel Molino Stucky and Hotel in Piazza San Marco

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. We will be taking a cruise out of Venice next August. We are arriving the evening before and I need to make a good decision regarding hotel accomodations. We have been to Venice before and understand the logistics of getting from place to place. Here is my dilemma...I love Locando Orseola and have stayed here before however, we will not be arriving until 5 pm at the airport. I am assuming it will take a lot of time to get luggage and transfer between the airport and the Locando (two hours?). The point being that we will not be doing much more than sleeping here for the evening at a cost of 160E.

I have points with Hilton Hotels and can book a room for no cost at Hilton Molino Stucky but worry that being across the way on another island will be inconvenient for quick early morning sightseeing before we board our ship in the afternoon.

Also, on our last trip we arrived via train not airplane and I am concerned about transportation and luggage (not that we will have a lot). In your opinions, do you think it is worth it to pay for a water taxi transfer for convenience sake? The Hilton is offering a water taxi for about 100E.

I just want to start the trip off right. Opinions, please?
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM

only you can decide if price or convenience is more important to you
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM

A water taxi from Marco Polo Airport does not make much difference – it just cuts down the time on the water from say 45 minutes to 15 minutes (I’m guessing this) – and you still have to walk the 500 metres or so to the water bus / water taxi dock. Here’s a tip – even though you bags have wheels, use an airport baggage trolley for the 500 metre walk – the pavement is not all that great, and it’s easier to push a trolley than it is to drag a bag. Molino Stucky have their own private shuttle boat, which is most elegant, that does the trip from Molino Stucky to the Zattere water bus stop.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Take the blue land bus to Piazzale Roma and stay in one of the hotels near there--which is adjacent to the ship terminals. Easy logistics.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM

But the water taxi is a lot of fun! You get transport plus a fun ride--depending on your budget, of course.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Will probably wind up doing the Hilton and the water taxi. But thanks for your opinions!