Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Decided to postpone trip till next month - hope its the right decision (?)What are the rest of you doing?

Search

Decided to postpone trip till next month - hope its the right decision (?)What are the rest of you doing?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:56 PM
meg

After much deliberation I've decided im just not ready to fly to Italy next week, so I'm postponing till next month sometime (prob mid month). I found out I can postpone the trip at no extra charge, and if the cost is less, though I won't be refunded, I will be allowed to upgrade to 5 star hotels (very tempting I must say). <BR> <BR>I'm just so damn scared. True, Ill be flying on Alitalia, not an american airline, and i wont be flying across the US. And I would assume security in Italy airports has at least until now been superior to the US (what country's wasn't, Im sad to say). Still I worry, and I worry about once I'm there too (potential embassy bombing etc). <BR> <BR>If we're at war by then, I'll cancel again. Any other Americans planning to go in October?? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Vita

Hi, Meg. I was supposed to leave Thursday and am now booking hotels for mid-October. Like you, I will guage the situaion carefully over the next few weeks. I'm holding of on buying my airline ticket until I am confident that I can go. If you think there's a chance that you might go next month, I would start booking hotels now. At least around Tuscany and Rome, October is still peak. Take care.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 02:04 AM
Maira

I have tickets to Rome in early Nov. The joy is gone, even my Mom who has looked forward to this trip with great excitement, is definitely not up for it. If we become engaged on a war conflict, I am staying home. No doubt whatsoever.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Mike Miller

Have had tickets for late Oct since last Nov. Taking a wait and see attitude. A pleasure trip now just does not seem as important as it did last week.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Mary

Out tics for Spain are for November and are planning to go. We'll go with the US Embassy warnings and recommendations; and of course see what the state of our country is.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 06:16 AM
lisa

We were supposed to leave this past Thursday on Lufthansa for Paris. We have rescheduled for this Thursday - the 20th. Obviously, we will not go if war is declared....however, we are STILL planning to go. I should mention that this trip is not completely a "pleasure" trip...a working trip that my husband has planned - we are planning on 2 or 3 days in Paris for "pleasure"...the ancitipation/pleasure is gone.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Frank

Keep in mind that even if the U.S. does not respond before you leave, it might happen while you are overseas. Just something to think about.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Steve

We are scheduled to leave via United on Friday out of Chicago to Frankfort then on to Florence. We are taking a wait and see approach. We will make our descion on Thursday. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks Concern is if war breaks out while we are in Italy what do we do?

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Darrel

I'm still leaving for London 10/24 as long as American Airlines will fly. <BR> <BR>It won't be the same vacation it would have been but I won't let the terrorists change my life. That's what they want. <BR> <BR>I will, of course, take all security precautions and be vigilant. (Sorry I posted an anonymous email address but I don't need to advertise an empty home for two weeks.)

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 08:00 AM
a regular

If war breaks up, you may be stranded where you are. If you are going overseas, take your time to have a contingency plan in case you are stranded. If you have friends in Europe, let them know you are travelling, whether is to their country or not. You may need friends in a safe place to shelter you. Your family should know how to get hold of you at all times and who are you going to call first to check in. Have the telephone and address of your embassy handy. Have copies and more copies of travel documents. Get a paper ticket. <BR> <BR>Anything else?

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Sioux

I, too was planning a trip with my husband, his mother and my parents to Italy. We were to leave the 19th, but my husband and his mother are too afraid to go. I and my parents would have gone, but we won't make the trip until everyone feels comfortable about going. Needless to say we are very disappointed. My husband's real concern was that war would break out while we were in Italy and we would be stuck there. I can think of worse things to happen, but he would freak out and that would ruin the vacation. Plus, our vacation would not have been as happy and carefree as it would have been. We will postpone the trip for when things have calmed down some. We will go sometime though. I didn't spend two years planning this trip for nothing!!!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Susan

My mother and I are supposed to leave Wed for Paris. My husband really doesn't want me to go now, and my mother is also hesitant, mainly because of being afraid of being stuck over there. I think if we cancel, which is probably going to happen, that will be the main reason. Also, we have a 4-hour drive to JFK. They could show the flight as going in the morning and it could be cancelled by the time we get there (this happened yesterday to the flight we're taking on American). We will definitely go some other time, but probably not until next year.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 12:29 PM
elvira

We have tickets for October 5th to London, and intend to use them unless air travel is suspended. <BR> <BR>I think of Hemingway's definition of "guts"...grace under pressure. <BR> <BR>And I think it was Churchill (someone correct me if I'm wrong) who said "when going through hell, keep going".

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Escritora

Yep, Elvira--that was Churchill. The man was almost as clever at turning a phrase as you are! ;-&gt; <BR> <BR>Asking your indulgence as I repost here my thoughts from a similar thread: <BR> <BR>My own situation re travel is especially peculiar. I am scheduled to travel at the end of October to Oaxaca, Mexico and to be there during the annual Day of the Dead holiday, when Mexicans celebrate the lives of those they love. The holiday already held a bittersweet meaning for me, as this year Dia de los Muertos will mark the 15th anniversary of my own father's death. I planned to commemorate him in the Mexican tradition, though I am not of Mexican ancestry. Now I will be thinking of many more lost lives than I could have imagined. <BR> <BR>As a New Yorker, I have been held up emotionally this week by outpourings of <BR>concern, support, and love from people all over the world, both globally and <BR>personally. We have been embraced by the world as family, and when I go to Mexico, I will go to lift my spirit by being with that family--to immerse myself in the good in the world instead of remaining fixed on the evil I have known this week. <BR> <BR>One other thought on this. Four years ago Thanksgiving week the man who lived across the hall from me was shot in the head by an unknown robber and died days later. I am in the habit of decorating the door to my apartment for Christmas on the first day of Advent, but that year I did not out of respect for him and his family; it was not the time for festive decorations, I thought. Then, <BR>about a week into December, one of his granddaughters approached me and asked why my door still was not decorated. I told her. Please, she said, decorate the door. My grandfather loved it, it will give us good memories of him, and every time my grandmother opens our door she keeps looking at your door hoping to see it decorated. My neighbor's daughter and granddaughters still live across the hall from me, and they still smile and think of him each year on the first day of Advent when they see my decorations. <BR> <BR>At home or abroad, perhaps the best tribute we can pay to those we have lost <BR>is to make sure that our spirits have not died with them.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 12:53 PM
jhilts

My parents and I were ticketed to fly yesterday LAX-JFK-Zurich for three weeks. My sisters and brother-in-law were joining us in the South of France where we had rented a beautiful six bedroom home with front line view of the Mediterranean. The trip was initially only for the three of us and then my sisters found the time to break away and join us...truly a dream vacation for all of us and a first time <BR>event for our family. <BR> <BR>Late Thursday, when JFK closed, we knew we would be canceled for Friday. We were at our local Delta counter Friday morning facing the decision to postpone. <BR> <BR>We moved the entire trip to May, including the rental of the house. The <BR>owner of the house in La Croix Valmer was incredibly warm and sensitive, actually apologizing that she had deposited our pre-payment for the rental. When we asked if the house was available in May, she said she will make it available to us and will apply <BR>our full pre-payment to the new dates. <BR> <BR>Today I just received the last of six responses to my canceling hotel rooms in Europe. Each one of them was so kind <BR>and understanding with wishes for safe travel when we re-schedule. Without exception, they waived all cancelation fees. <BR> <BR>We finally came to the realization that our hearts would be too heavy and our concern for safety too great to make this trip enjoyable. We also agreed at the same time that there would be many worse things than getting stuck in France for a long period of time....anyway today we unpacked and feel good about our decision.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Therese

My daughter (25) is hoping to go for a 2 mo. solo Eurail/Hostel type trip starting in Italy and going through western Europe. We have been discussing the safety of this in these current times. <BR>Does anyone have any input? Her tickets expire in December. (As you can see it is a tough decision) <BR>Thanks <BR>Therese

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:21 PM
andi

After much vacillation, I'm 90% decided against my hiking trip to Tuscany. Am seeking an alternative. I suspect I might go if I didn't have two young children. I imagine myself stuck in Europe unable to get home should something happen again here, and I don't want to put them (and myself) through that kind of worry. I'd rather go next year when I would, one hopes, thoroughly enjoy it. I also think if I had a partner to travel with, I'd probably feel differently, but I'm divorced and on my own.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:22 PM
andi

I neglected to mention that I'm scheduled to leave October 4, for what it's worth.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:37 PM
judi

This is to respond to Theresa, whose daughter is scheduled to travel using eurorail system. We just cancelled oour 5 week trip throughout central europe, we had Eurorail Tickets as well...due to the tragedy, they have waived any and all cancellation penelties...we are getting a full refund, and so have the airlines...check Dertravel.com for their policy. USAir redeposited our frequent flyer miles back into our account with no penelty. ALso, I have had wonderful responses from all hotels that we cancelled...everyone is so kind, and expressing their sorrow. Spring sounds like a good time to reschedule our trip!!!!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Lisa

I guess many of you plan your own trips, we are to take a tour. We paid for the insurance and deposit and will owe about 6,000 dollars on Oct.5, meaning the balance. I don't know if we should go ahead, as perhaps then, who knows, a war is raging and we can not leave for Italy. I don't need to read my insurance contract to know that unless the war is in Italy, I would be out of luck. So far I can't find it today to read it! I don't know what to expect at the end of November, so I am reluctant to pay the balance now. Plus we would also be incurring charges for the 5 extra days in Rome, thats another 1000 to lose. I should not complain, I am warm and safe tonight, unlike so many others. I could use advice if anyone would like to give it. <BR>God Bless America this night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -