Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Decent restaurants near (but not necessarily in) the Latin Quartier? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/decent-restaurants-near-but-not-necessarily-in-the-latin-quartier-826940/)

Bitter Feb 17th, 2010 07:06 AM

Decent restaurants near (but not necessarily in) the Latin Quartier?

We (2 adults 2 pre- teen kids) are staying in an apartment on rue de la Huchette. (Thanks to those who helped with that decision, by the way.)

10 + years ago we ate a couple decent (not fancy) lunches (1 French; 1 Greek) in the Latin Quarter, but comparing new and old guidebooks, the restaurants recommended then are no longer recommended. Although there is no shortage of restaurants (particularly Greek) in the immediate vicinity, almost everything I read now suggests that I should stay away from the Latin Quartier restaurants (at least on Huchette/severin/harpe). (Bacteria alley I thing someone put it?!)

Are there any restaurants you would recommend in or near the LQ? Not looking for super expensive or too fancy.

Also a pizza/Italian restaurant recomendation would be helpful, too.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments? Thanks!

Luisah Feb 17th, 2010 07:24 AM

There are plenty of decent restaurants in the Latin Quarter and nearby. Two come to mind now: Brasserie Balzar and Le Reminet. I'm sure you'll get more recommendations.

You won't be far from Ile St Louis and there is a crepe restaurant on the main street that people on Fodors recommended. I ate there and it was okay. There are other restaurants on Ile St Louis so you might check them out. Don't miss gelatto at Amorino on the main street of Ile St Louis.

I would not eat in any of the Huchette/Harpe restaurants.

There was an Italian restaurant very close to the bridge crossing from the Latin Quarter to Ile de Cite. It was reasonable; I had lasagne but not pizza.

jamikins Feb 17th, 2010 07:37 AM

You could also try La Petite Perigourdine on rue des ecoles (farther down then Brasserie Balzar which we also liked)

Nikki Feb 17th, 2010 07:48 AM

Le Petit Prince de Paris, 12 rue de Lanneau, 01 43 54 77 26

Le Pre Verre, 8 rue Thenard, 01 43 54 59 47 (there is a very good value lunch menu, reservations recommended)

Mirama, 17 rue St. Jacques, 01 43 54 71 77 (casual, good Chinese place popular with locals, may not take reservations)

StCirq Feb 17th, 2010 08:00 AM

There's a Chez Clément in the Latin Quarter - it's a chain, but a decent one, particularly for kids, and inexpensive.

Also Le Petit Pontoise and Le Pré Verre.

I'd also not eat in the Huchette/Harpe restos.

My kids used to like pizza at Mezza Luna in the quartier.

Christina Feb 17th, 2010 08:33 AM

There are good restaurants in the Latin Qtr, the problem is most people never go more than a couple blocks from where you are and they call that the Latin Qtr. Most people don't even see the real Latin Qtr area, which is not those few streets and blocks where you are.

I like Les FOntaines on rue Soufflot near the Pantheon (good liver), and Chez Lena et Mimile on rue Tournefort, for Greek I like Les Delices d'Aphrodite on rue de Candolle (who caters to Gourmet Lafayette, I think, or something like that). I think Le Volcan at the top of rue Mouffetard is pretty decent, and of course, the Balzar is good, also.

oakglen Feb 17th, 2010 11:32 AM

You could do far worse than E'Ecluse, a decent wine bar with a limited menu. As others have said, don't eat nearby, it's a culinary wasteland. Go to their web site; you will get a free Kir.

Underhill Feb 17th, 2010 01:45 PM

For your pizza/Italian, head to St-Germain. There, opposite the church on the Blvd St-Germain, just across from the métro station, is Vesuvius, a favorite of ours. Italian and French food, good pizza, lively atmosphere.

ThinGorjus Feb 17th, 2010 02:32 PM

Pre Verre on Rue Thenard, between Blvd. St. Germain and Rue de Ecoles.

Rose of Sommerard, Rue Sommerard, between Rue Thenard and Rue St. Jacques. Down the street from the Cluny Museum. Chinese/Thai food.

Les Papilles, Rue Guy-Lussac.

Tibre, Rue Sainte-Beuve.

Le Comptoir du Relais, Carrefour Odeon. One of Cigalechanta's favourites.

The restaurant in the Orsay Museum is also very good for lunch.

Thin