Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Decent Hotel In Rome Centrally located/Cruise ports/excursion help!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/decent-hotel-in-rome-centrally-located-cruise-ports-excursion-help-772516/)

twin98 Mar 11th, 2009 11:57 AM

Decent Hotel In Rome Centrally located/Cruise ports/excursion help!!!

Hi,
I need a few suggestions of a hotel in Rome that is in a good location. Mid price range - $250-325 - $350 a night. US dollars

What would that be equal to in a star rating in an American hotel? A three star hotel??

Also, has anyone traveled to Amalfi Coast by a cruise?

We are stopping in Capri and I was thinking of an excursion that included Sorrento, Capri and Pompei. It is a 9 hour excursion that is a taste of all three. Any suggestions?

Any info on some of the other ports as well
Istanbul - have two days

Ephesus

Mykonos

Athens

Santorini

I have been reading up on all of them the info is overwhelming. Was just wondering if anyone has been before and they can narrow down what are the best most amazing places in each location "the must sees" Since we are limited with our time being on a cruise.
Thank you so so much!!!!!

zgjdenver Mar 11th, 2009 01:00 PM

I am glad you are asking this question because we are also going on a cruise out of Rome (next Sept) and need a place for 4 people to stay. We'd hoped to spend less than you are proposing if possible. We were also thinking about a tour guide for 3 days in Rome. If anyone has any suggestions on that as well as recommendations on the ports it would be appreciated. (We are going to Crete, Ephesues, Athens and Sicily) Thank you.

twin98 Mar 11th, 2009 04:12 PM

What cruise line are you going on?
Celebrity?
You are doing the Western Medit?
We are doing the Eastern Medit.
We too are doing 3 nights Rome before with day trip to Florence.
Very excited!!
Hope someone answers us!

TAW Mar 11th, 2009 04:36 PM

go to cruisecritic.com and look for your specific cruise (ship, date, etc.). Once there, you can talk to others on same cruise. Also can read about other people's experiences at same ports, etc. Wealth of info over there. Have a fun trip!

zgjdenver Mar 24th, 2009 01:40 PM

twin98

I'm sorry it to so long to get back here - lost track of my link. We are going on Royal Carribean from Sep 20-27, doing the Eastern Med. We will be stopping in Ephesus, Athens, Sicily and Crete. We thought we would spend the three days prior to the cruise in Rome. We want to find a hotel/apartment in a good area to see some of the sights and get a feel for Rome before heading out on the cruise. There will be either 4 or 6 of us which makes planning a bit difficult especialy where to stay without blowing the whole vacation budget. We are very excited too.

StCirq Mar 24th, 2009 02:33 PM

I love the Hotel Modigliani in Rome. It's less than you are proposing to pay, but a lovely place.

ira Mar 25th, 2009 06:42 AM

Hi twin,

You are aware that your cruise leaves from Civitivecchia, not Rome?

((I))

twin98 Mar 30th, 2009 03:38 PM

Hi Ira,
Yes I am aware that the ship is out if Civitivecchia, about 45 minutes or so out of Rome. We sail at 6 pm on our third day in Rome so ... I figure we have the morning to do a bit of site seeing thats about all. That really leaves us 2 full days for Rome and one for Florence. Then we have the other 11 days on the cruise of fabulous ports.

Thank you for the heads up.

violetduck Mar 30th, 2009 04:09 PM

A few years ago we stayed at Hotel Fontanella Borghese near the
Spanish steps, and were very pleased. The sister hotel, Due Torre, is also supposed to be good. The last time I checked Trip Advisor, which has been a while, they had good reviews. I think they may charge less than the amount you mentioned.

wondering Mar 30th, 2009 04:13 PM

Try Hotel Mozart.