Decent but not expensive hotels in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to visit London with my teen daughter in May. We are on a VERY (!!!) tight budget. Can anybody recommend a hotel/inn in a good, safe area, close to major attractions for $50-75 US per night?
Thank you everybody.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:58 PM

I think you will have a hard time finding a place. If you are willing to stay at a place not close to major attractions (but close to public transportation which will take you there), then you have hope.

I think there are B & B in cheaper locations like Finchley, Swiss Cottage, Forest Hill, Hackney, etc. Just use a search engine. I stayed at a place in Islington but it wasn't cheap. The place in Islington was 15 minutes to the Tower of London.

In central London, you will find a single for US$50-75 (a very small room), but the bed is too small for 2 people. Perhaps in May, there will still be rooms at the cheap clearance websites. I forgot the names of them. Is it cheaprooms.com or .com.uk? Maybe it's lastminuterooms.com? Sorry I forgot.
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:01 PM

A very quick yahoo search yielded this page. I've never stay at these places. Forest Hill is next to Dulwich, where the famous picture gallery is located.
http://www.welcomehomes.co.uk/lista1.htm
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:18 AM

Another site to recommend is www.travelstay.com . I think you will be able to find a double room at your upper price limit there. And if you are willing to use a shared bathroom you will have a couple of choices.

If you wait until something like one and a half weeks before you need the room you will get great rates at www.wotif.com.

Also take a look at the pricebreaker hotels at lastminute.com.

Kascha
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:59 AM

Give priceline a try. Learn how it works at www.biddingfortravel.com.Or search Google Travel bidding .Pick an area and bid. Start with 1 area 5* and add areas so you may get many tries. Work your way down the Star and areas. Dont be affraid to bid low.Dont forget that VAT of about 18% is added to your bid price. You might get a 4 star hotel for 50$!! Good luck and happy bidding.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:05 AM

www.bidontravel.com
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:18 AM

Oops, www.priceline.com & www.priceline.comvacations Please read www.biddingtotravel.com BEFORE BIDDING. Sorry I'm a bit disorganized today..Its Friday. Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:25 AM

That website is www.biddingfortravel.com. You can easily get a 4* for $75 and a 3* around 50 & up. These are centrally located very nice hotels. The only way I do England these days! Good luck & have fun.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 09:29 AM

Try Londontown.com. I got my hotel for 38 pounds for a single at the Thistle Bloomsbury (great hotel). You may get lucky.

good luck
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:06 AM

For the best deal going -- check the BritAir site. (I'm assuming you don't live in the UK).
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_us

If you book by May 8, they have good fare deals tied in with 2 free hotel nights in London. That will leave you enough so you can eat, as well!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM

It can be done. If you don't want to go the priceline route, you can try one of the discount hotel booking services (just type london hotel discount into yahoo or google search). These sights will help give a picture on pricing; you can book through them, or call the hotel directly (they will usually match the web rate).

Some things to pay attention to: VAT (tax) is 18%, it goes on top of priceline bids, but is included in advertised rates (double check when booking). Many of the smaller places include breakfast (of varying quality); priceline or larger hotels usually don't. Smaller places mostly will not have an elevator (and 1st floor in Europe is 2nd floor to Americans).

You can get a notch cheaper if you can live with "bath down the hall"; some places will have a mixture of rooms.

There are a string of small hotels (Crescent, Mentone, ...) on Cartwright Crescent in Bloomsbury. The area is decent and convenient to a good tube stop. The tube (underground) works great for getting around as a tourist; you can buy a daily pass good from 9:30 am for around $5 which covers the main areas of interest tube and bus.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:34 PM

Thanks cnmiranda for fixing my goof.
Do a google search . Enter travel bidding. Many sites out there.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:01 PM

Lets not forget www.skyauction.com !
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Hello from Vancouver (British Columbia)!Thank you "muchly" to everyone who supplied me with info regarding low price hotels in London (and from my kid, too. She now truly believes that we may get to London. Wish me happy hunting...
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
scumpy

I stayed at Balmoral House Hotel, one block from Paddington Station, very convenient for using the tube to see attractions. I think it was 40 pounds for a single one year ago, shared toilet in hall, shower and washbasin in room. The full English breakfast was terrific. Very safe location.

http://www.balmoralhousehotel.co.uk/

Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:15 AM

You could also try lastminute.com they currently have some good deals on London hotels.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:32 AM

Another suggestion....
I stayed at the Country Hotel...a local type London Hotel...shared baths....very reasonable...wanted the experience... Just down the street from other hotels in Bloomsbury(Russell Square)) area...1/2 block from Euston Station...Budget type hotel...secure...meet the local people....
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM

Correction to above post
That should be "County" Hotel...one of the Imperial Hotels
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:34 AM

I stayed at the Ridgemont Hotel on Gower Street in Bloomsbury. The entire street was hotels all seemd to be of similar quality and price. Near a tube stop, the British Museum, university area with restaurants and coffe shops. I paid 45 pounds per night for a single with a bath. If I had shared a bath it would have been much cheaper. I was very happy with the hotel. No elevator and tiny room but wonderful big breakfast and very helpful, kind owners. Also, spotlessly clean and that really matters to me.

beany
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Check out the "alternative" listings in the book, "Cheap Sleeps in London" (sorry, I can't remember the author). There is a section on booking accommodation in university residences (if you're travelling late in May, this might work, if the schools are out of session), plus listings for other types of accommodation (including YWCAs, Baden Powell House, etc.). I once stayed in the women's residence at Imperial College in London, and it was a fabulous deal. I was in the heart of posh Kensington, a minute from Albert Hall, and I paid about 15 pounds a night for my room (this was 15 years ago, though) - baths and WCs down the hall. The room was immaculate and pretty, and very very safe. Cheap Sleeps also has a lot of B&B listings (although many are outside your budget).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -