Reload this Page >

Decent Airfare from SFO to Prague or Budapest

Notices

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have wonderful plans when we get there--the problem at the moment is that I have been unable to find airfare less than $1,000 for mid to late May. I have tried Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, BA, UAL, Lufthansa and Cheap Tickets, etc. Incidentally, Cheap Tickets was the most expensive (perhaps they should change their name).

Have considered flying to either London or Frankfurt and trying to connect with one of the inexpensive no frills European Airlines, but haven't researched that yet.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can get yourself a cheap flight to JFK or Newark, you might also look into flights on Swiss, Czech Air, and Malev. If you fly Swiss, you'll be routed through Zurich. Czech Air flies directly to Prague, and Malev flies directly to Budapest. Also check out the company Paul Laifer, out of Parsippany, NJ. Paul Laifer specializes in trips to Prague and Budapest, and you might be able to get a discounted flight.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked www.affordablepoland.com, unfortunately they don't have anything from SFO, only LAX to either Prague or Budapest for just under $900.00 in May. You could try calling them as they do offer SFO to either city up to end of March for about $700.00. Maybe the rest of the season has not been posted yet, but they could give you an idea over the phone.
From my experience, suggestions about getting a cheap flight to the major gateways, hardly ever works out. Even if you could get there for about $200-250 R/t, the savings on the international flighr would not be that if any less. Plus you always have to worry about having 2 seperate tickets, meaning if one goes bad and you're late for the other one, you are basically SOL.
You are traveling a long distance and to locations that are not exactly very competative. The London option could be feasible, but again, as far as I know only Prague is covered by the budget airlines, and even that is limited. I know BA has flights priced at about 110BP=about $185.00 RT in May to Prague.
For all budget airlines in Europe try this: www.applefares.com
www.ryanair.com - it's not part of the above.
Also look in your Sunday paper in the travel section for any deals from consolidators and such.
Good Luck and have a great trip!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is (perhaps) a fluke, and we were going to use it for ourselves.

USA-Dublin on day 0, arrive day 1
Spend one day (or more) in Dublin
Dublin-Vienna on day 2 (or later)

Vienna-Dublin, when you are ready to come home.

Dublin-USA, one or more days later.

All this for only $489 in May (from Baltimore) plus taxes (about $80).

From LAX the fare is about $215 higher.

I realize that Vienna is not Prague or Budapest, but a good jumping off point for either.

Alternatively, check out www.affordablepoland.com or www.justfares.com - - they were our next cheapest options.

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]

p.s. and thanks to Eurotravler (Tom) and creativeinseattle (Paula), we got even better than this, using zone fare certificates from Northwest!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While doing research for my trip to Asia, I ran an imaginary itinerary from SFO-Prague departing on May 9 and returning on May 24. Expedia came back with British Airways for a total of $875.00 R/T. Worth checking into it.
Good Luck!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:46 PM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoops. Just realized that I failed to say: the fare/routing shown above is on www.aerlingus.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond. Will check into your suggestions. Incidentally, we plan to visit Vienna as well, but since it is in the "middle" didn't want to think of it as an arrival or departure city, as we would have to backtrack one way or the other. We're considering overnight train or hydrofoil from either Bratislava to Budapest or Vienna to Budapest (train from Prague to Vienna). Everything was coming up roses until I tried to find transportation to Europe.

Thanks again--wish us luck!