Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   December Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/december-trip-910442/)

joschwin Oct 27th, 2011 04:59 AM

December Trip

We are planning a spur of the moment trip from Dec 1-10 landing in Dublin spending 2 nights and then renting a car traveling south not sure yet on where we will stop but eventually will get to Gallway Bay cottages where we renting through our time share. Would like to use that place for 3 nights and do day trips from there. I am just worried that these units are cottages and may not be winterized. I see they have a fireplace and each room has a heater. We will not be spending much time in them only using them to sleep. Any thoughts here am I making a mistake. I know Dec will be chilly but we are prepared for that. Just want to do some sight seeing and visit the pubs, having never been to Ireland before. Also am looking to rent a car and I know the drivers seat is on the right so the manual cars will be shifting with the left hand. However am I correct that the foot pedals are the same as here in the states? Any input on our itinerary is appreciated as we have no set plan and are thinking of just winging it. I am hoping we will find many rooms available. Am I wrong here?

Viajero2 Oct 27th, 2011 05:36 AM

If you have the time and the value is right I think it is a great idea to take the chance. That said, calibrate well your expectations so that you are not unpleasantly surprised. December days are shorts and Ireland country roads are more like 30 miles/hour average. So consider that when planning your road trips. BTW, the reviews on the Gallway Bay Cottages is not great, what other options you have? Good word on Clonnandaugh Cottage in Tulla. I stayed in Kinsale at a townhouse type accomodation (handicap accesible needed in the group). We were happy. Huge place, very well located.

I would love the chance to visit Ireland in December...or any other month fro that matter :-D. BTW, my experience with the food in Ireland was phenomenal. Kinsale's O'Donnabaunns (sp?) Pub food's was heavenly.

egnolive Oct 27th, 2011 06:03 AM

Foot pedals will be the same as the US. I drive a stick in the US and rent a stick in Ireland. The shifting will be the least of your problems if your normally drive a stick. Driving on the opposite side of the road will take a little getting used to, as will the roundabouts. I have trouble returning home and then driving again on the other side!

As Viajero2 says, country roads are slow and you may have some weather issues. You might want to do a search as far as historical weather patterns, although I hear its been pretty unpredictable lately. So it could snow and always could rain.

As long as you are prepared for the weather and short days and are flexible in your plans, it should be fantastic.

You might become addicted!

annhig Oct 27th, 2011 06:24 AM

Would like to use that place for 3 nights and do day trips from there. I am just worried that these units are cottages and may not be winterized. I see they have a fireplace and each room has a heater. We will not be spending much time in them only using them to sleep. Any thoughts here am I making a mistake. >>

"winterized" - lol - I doubt they've ever heard that word in Galway.

if they say they have got heaters and a fire, you should be ok indoors- it's the rain and wind outdoors that are likely to be the main problems in that part of the country, rather than deep cold or snow.

but i would have serious 2nd thoughts about whether this is the best use of a January trip, or the best time to see Ireland. Dublin and/or Belfast yes, rural Ireland, no.

Tony2phones Oct 27th, 2011 08:53 AM

These are not Cottage's they are a group of purpose built small holiday houses. Built using modern methods and materials and well insulated. The Turf fires are little more than for show but enough to keep you warm when they have been going a couple of hours. The Village is pretty self contained and provided the weather is not like last year you will be able to get to a couple of pubs by car. 3 nights though would be enough in winter.