Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

December/January Trip to Italy - Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:45 AM
Aaron

Hi! <BR>I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy with my mom. The only time I can go is next month (December/January). I was thinking about something near Naples/Amalfi area - does anyone know whether that is an OK time to go to that area (weather-wise) and/or have any other suggestions? Thanks! Aaron

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:52 AM
Meg

I'm leaving December 7th for Naples and the Amalfi coast and getting very excited. A lot is closed on the coast and the islands. I'm staying a few days on Ischia, hotels are very cheap and we can sit in the mineral spas. The weather should be around 50-60 degrees, nice fall weather. Maybe rainy. I was going to stay a night in Capri, but occasionally the water is too rough for the ferry, so I wouldn't want to get stuck. Yes, I'm taking a ferry to Ischia, but at least it's for a few days. Hotels are Albergo Sansevero in Naples, Oriente e Terme in Ischia. Watch for my report soon, or I'll see you there! Good luck, off season travel is great!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:55 AM
Meg

Oh, and opera season at the Teatro San Carlo begins in December. I just bought tickets online for the Martyr of St. Sebastian opening night 12/12. The San Carlo is supposed to be incredible, take a tour at least.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 09:37 AM
Davidx

Sicily is as far south as you can get and is really special. Let me know if you would like me to send the notes I made after a visit in February

Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Meg, I hope to hear more from your trip when you return! We are leaving to italy for the first time ever on January 9th and are going down south... David do you mind giving me your notes on sicily? I need all the help I can get. Thank you.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh, Meg's and Davidx's trips were in 2001, and I don't think either are active posters any more. You should start your own thread.