December 24 and 25 dining options Dresden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We - a family of parents and 2 adult offspring - are lucky enough to be spending five days in Dresden over Christmas this year.
We have visited before so have good plans for things to do.
We are aware that things get very quiet on Christmas eve and have made contact with our hotel re eating there - NH Dresden Altmarkt - stayed here before.

I have read lots of trip reports and ideas so guess this is asking for up to date suggestions and ideas.
We do not have any special requirements and do not mind if the style of restaurants/food is not English, American, or Aussie Christmas...

Being from South Australia we are well prepared with cold weather clothing but still probably won't want to walk to eat, say more than say 30 minutes if the weather gets too cold!
Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 10:04 AM

The restaurants around Neumarkt square/Frauenkirche are pretty good, although touristy, of course. I can recommend the beer hall type restaurants Augustiner, Paulaner's and Freiberger Schankhaus, all of them offering German food. They should be open 24/25 Dec.

More fancy/festive is restaurant Weber in the Gewandhaus hotel, less than a five minutes walk from the NH Hotel. Definitely open, reservations required.

Also more upscale is Alte Meister, in a corner of Theaterplatz square (between Semper Opera house and Picture Gallery Old Masters building) http://www.altemeister.net/en/index.php - should be open, but not sure.

There is a dozen or so restaurants in the so called "Weisse Gasse" district around the corner from NH hotel (direction Gewandhaus Hotel). Not all of them are really good, but the Sushi place is, and I also was happy with the Tapas place. You'll definitely find something there, but the other recommendations above are nicer.

Too bad hopping on a tram is no option for you. There are lovely restaurants in the nice residential areas, like Blasewitz/Loschwitz/Striesen e.g.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ever so much Ingo - will follow these up and try and make a decision.

Your input is really appreciated as is all the other information i have taken in from your comments re Dresden and other places.

Re hopping on a tram - we are happy to take a tram - if they are running over the holiday times?
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 12:38 AM

You're welcome.

Yes, the trams are running over holiday times, too. On a reduced schedule, but you can expect them to run every 15-20 minutes.
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Again thank you Ingo this is good to hear.

I will try and look up some places on the areas you mention as we have five days and can explore other areas.

We are really looking forward to this visit!