Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dec. in London and Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dec-in-london-and-paris-90492/)

Burta Oct 18th, 2000 01:13 PM

Dec. in London and Paris

My husband and I will be in London and Paris for just a few days in December. Between us we have been to both places enough to have done the "touristy" things. Does anyone have any suggestions for seasonal things we might see, do, eat, etc.? By the way, we're from Hawaii. Will the weather kill us?

elaine Oct 18th, 2000 01:19 PM

Burta, I don't know if it will kill you, but it might wound you a little. <BR>You're going to need some sweaters, <BR>and outerwear that you can layer <BR>those sweaters underneath. Since you don't want to make a life-long investment in winter coats, look through catalogs like Magellan and Travelsmith or even LL Bean and Lands End <BR>for silk/ski underwear, light-weight raincoats and jackets, etc. Also, umbrellas, and shoes/boots that can take the cold and damp. <BR>If you're going to be on holiday on Christmas or New Years, don't wait if you want to book a dinner for either of the holidays.

Miane Oct 18th, 2000 02:37 PM

THINGS TO DO: <BR>If you've done the "touristy things", you will probably have done most of the museums but here's my recommendation as a native parisian and ex-londoner: <BR> <BR>- LONDON: check out the new Tate Modern on the south bank, contemporary art not for all tastes but interesting architecturally and for the way art works have been organized. Have you ever been to the John Soane's Museum in Holborn? It's a treat! Check out also the Whitechapel gallery and the Riverside studios. For high tea, go to Brown's hotel off Piccadilly --gentlemen must wear a tie!-- much more charming and less of a tourist trap than the Ritz. Check the fleamarkets of Portobello (a little too touristy)and Camden Town (trendy/wacky). Enjoy a candlelit concert at St Martin's in the Fields' church on Trafalgar Square. London is buzzing these days and you will come across a new plethora of trendy places and restaurants. <BR>Check the events at that time on www.visitbritain.com or www.timeout.com: go and see a show or play, it's a London must! <BR> <BR>- PARIS: Check the lesser known museums such as Marmottan, Jacquemard Andre and also the artists' townhouses. Take a guided tour organized by Kaplan re. www.frenchlinks.com. Go and enjoy a lazy afternoon in a beautiful hammam in the Marais: www.lesbainsdumarais.com. Enjoy a couscous Royal at the Cafe du Serail behind Bastille, or an afternoon tea at the cafe Marly in the Cour Carree du Louvre. Talking about the Louvre, have you seen it since its recent refurb? And the Pompidou Center's new MoMA? Check also the events at that time on www.paris-touristoffice.com or www.pariscope.com. <BR> <BR>WEATHER AND GEAR: <BR> <BR>Think New York weather, less brutal. Dress in layers for temperate to cold weather, bring some rain gear and warm sweaters, and comfortable shoes for walking the cities. When in Paris, remember to dress up to feel comfortable in a generally chic city. <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR> <BR>BTW ... I trust you know about the high speed trains between the two cities, much more civilized than flying! Trains at least every hour, www.eurostar.com <BR>

da kine Oct 18th, 2000 05:16 PM

Aloha Burta, <BR>unfortunately I don't live in Hawaii anymore, though I used to and my blood has permanently thinned! I was in Paris this past February and can testify that it gets COLD in Europe...a lot colder than Hawaii. The best advice I can give is to buy some long underwear...be sure to my the ultra thin kind made out of either silk or some manmade material that wicks moisture away from the skin. I took two sets (tops and bottoms) with me to Paris and was never cold! <BR>Aloha

Burta Oct 19th, 2000 12:47 AM

Mahalo (thanks) for the advice. Keep those suggestions coming! <BR> <BR>Aloha!

david west Oct 19th, 2000 01:16 AM

Go to a pantomime! THese are all over the place by December and are very popular and traditional, with adults and children. The national Theatre even has one, which is the one i'd recommend

Steph Oct 19th, 2000 02:22 AM

If you have never been to a pantomime take this opprotunity. Its supposedly for kids but there is always a double entendre and is quintisentially English. Try a pork pie snack bought in Harrods's Food hall. <BR> <BR>Strangely enough Paris will probably be colder than London.

janine Oct 19th, 2000 07:51 AM

I second the Jacquemart-Andre. Also check out the Musee Nissim de Camondo (wonderful!) and the Musee Zadkine.