Debating early AM flight out of Venice vs long layover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at airfares, it seems I have two options for a flight out of Venice back to the U.S.: 5:50am, or noon.

1. If I take the noon flight, particularly on Northwest Airlines, I will get a lengthy layover - which gives me an opportunity to do a half day whirlwind tour of Amsterdam, if I so choose (arrives at 2:30pm, leaves at 10:30am next day.) Or to spend the night in Paris. Have never been to either place, thought it might be interesting to take a peek and see if it is a city I would be interested in returning to see. Or it just may be more hassle than it's worth.

2. I can pay $100 more and get a noon flight back with a normal layover.

3. I can take the early AM flight. Does anyone know how difficult/expensive it is to get to the airport from Venice at that time? I've seen a few mentions here of problems arranging transportation or using an expensive private water taxi.

Anyone have advice on which of the 3 options you recommend? I appreciate any input!

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Totally do the layover, especially if it's the cheapest option. You'll get a little time to explore AMS or Paris and you should be able to find a place to stay for less than $100. Paris is beautiful at night so it's not a problem sightseeing late into the evening or AMS has some interesting nightlife to explore.

I hate returning flights that leave any earlier than 8 am -- it cuts my last night short, I wake up with less than 4 hrs of sleep, and there's no time for a decent breakfast or even a cup of coffee in the morning.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM

It will take less time to get into "downtown" AMS from the airport (15-20 minutes) by public transport than it would to get into Paris..perhaps not much less time, however. But if you are going to spend overnight perhaps it is six to one...

I think I'd take the later flight out of Venice, do the overnight somewhere, and then fly on the next day.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Agreed with Dukey. It's very easy to get into town from AMS, easier than Paris, if cost is an issue (in which case you can hop in a cab).

Anything to avoid that 550 flight!!
oy vey!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Hi Keiracaitlyn, I too would take the flight with a layover in Amsterdam. The train station is right at the Amsterdam airport, just go downstairs. Think it takes about 20 minutes to get into Amsterdam.

I hate, absolutely hate, those early morning flights out of Venice, lol. I always fly KLM and the only good thing is that I arrive in San Francisco in the afternoon (with a change of planes in Amsterdam) but with the early morning flight and spending time with friends in Italy the night before I really don't have any sleep before I board the plane. I start the trip home like a zombie.

If you don't want to stay over for the night than paying the $100.00 to catch the noon flight from Venice would be the way to go (don't forget you will spend money on a hotel, train, food etc., for an overnight layover).

Best wishes with your decision and have a lovely trip!!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
ira

Hi K,

> flight out of Venice back to the U.S.: 5:50am, or noon.

And you have to think about it?

You can have a night in Amstdm or Paris with the noon flight, and you have to think about it?

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I agree completely with Ira...it's a no brainer
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM

I guess I see it differently. I'd pay the extra $100 to get home with a normal layover. At the end of a trip, I don't want to get off a plane, haul my bags to another hotel -figure out what I'm going to do (which is basically just time for a leisurely dinner and a walk around whichever city). Then have to get up, re-pack and still have to be at the airport by 0800.

The cost of hotel and dinner is going to be more than the $100 I'd save.

That's just me, though.