Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Daytrips from Salzburg/ Reccommended Salz. Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/daytrips-from-salzburg-reccommended-salz-restaurants-847094/)

Steelydad Jun 28th, 2010 11:53 AM

Daytrips from Salzburg/ Reccommended Salz. Restaurants

My wife and I will be in Salzburg from July 7th -July 12, 2010. I figure 2 days will be enough to see Salzburg. I am looking for suggestions for 3 day trips. We will have a rental car at our disposal. I have researched a bunch of websites, and here are some that I have come up with: Heilbrunn, Hallstatt, Wfen -hohenwerefen, Wolfgangsee and Konigsee, Zell AM See, Bad Reichenhall, Salz-Kammergut, Matthausen ( on a sobering note), Is Munich doable in one day?

We will be staying at the Hotel Bristol in the Altstadt. Any reccommendations for lunches, dinners and/or drinking? Lookng for some local color if possible. Does not have to be I know it is the height of tourist season. Would like to avoid tourist trap restaurants if possible. I speak enough German to communicate with a non English speaker without any problem, but that is it.

Vielen dank in advance.

iris1745 Jun 28th, 2010 12:06 PM

Hi; Burghausen, in Germany, is very close to Salzburg and would be an interesting city/castle to visit. Easy to get around. Richard

joannyc Jun 28th, 2010 12:20 PM

Melk and it's gorgeous abbey!

pja1 Jun 28th, 2010 12:37 PM

Hi,

We love Zell am See and the Berchtesgaden area. King Ludwig's Neues Schloss (Herrenchiemsee) is just an hour away from Salzburg. Great for a day trip.

http://www.herrenchiemsee.de/englisc...lace/index.htm

Paul

swisshiker Jun 28th, 2010 01:14 PM

Hello Steelydad :)

The first thing I thought of when I read your title was Herrenchiemsee. If you've ever seen Versailles -- well, this place, IMO, eclipses Versailles. The palace is spectacular, the Hall of Mirrors, the bedrooms -- but the grand staircase is jaw-dropping gorgeous! Don't miss the opportunity to walk the beautiful grounds either. What a great day trip!!

Happy travels!

odyssey4 Jun 28th, 2010 01:21 PM

Me three for Herrenchiemsee. It was another highlight of our trip a couple of years ago. I remember taking a ferry over to the island. It was a spectacular tour. Worth a visit. The grounds are beautiful, and the palace is awesome!

Enjoy your trip!

kfusto Jun 28th, 2010 02:14 PM

Lovely hotel choice in a beautiful city!

I recommend a trip to St. Gilgen with a ferry to St. Wolfgang. We also enjoyed a boat ride on Lake Koenigsee with a stop on the way back in Berchtesgaden for lunch. Zell am See is on my list for next visit.

For a lovely dinner, we have been a number of times to Wasserfall, a five minute walk from your hotel. A nice menu, somewhat eclectic, a good wine list and enjoyable service and ambiance.

For a traditional meal we have enjoyed meals at Hotel Stadtkrug and the restaurant at Goldene Ente.

A nightly stop for us in Salzburg is Wein and Company, also near to your hotel. They have an extensive list by the glass and you can also purchase a bottle in their shop(great selection) and pay a nominal corkage. We are wine drinkers and really enjoy the staff as well as the wine and casual ambiance.

A regular lunch stop is Triangle near to the University of Salzburg Library.

Have a great trip!

CarolJean Jun 28th, 2010 02:47 PM

I agree with Herrenchiemsee, combine it with a stop at the Fraueninsel for a walk around and lunch. That would be a perfect day trip. Park in Prien at the harbor and take the boat.

In Salzburg, I recommend the Gabler Brau Hotel Restaurant on the pedestrian street across the river over the Staats brucke. (Linzergasse 9) It is an interesting historic building with stained glass. The main room is dedicated to an opera singer. The food was good and the 'mohr im hemd' chocolate dessert is not to be missed.

We also enjoyed the Stern Brau in the Altstadt. You can see the large star over the building (Griesgasse 23) It is a large sort of beer garden with several rooms. We ate in a dark wood paneled room. Very atmospheric. I had a very good lambchop there. The beer was pretty good also. www.sternbrau.com Have a great trip! CJ

pja1 Jun 28th, 2010 02:50 PM

Hi again,

If you do go to Zell am See, rent an electric boat (along the lake front promenade) for an hour and tour the lake on your own. It's about 20 Euro per hour.

pja1 Jun 28th, 2010 02:53 PM

I just wanted to add... I couldn't agree more with CarolJean regarding the "Mohr im Hemd". I have to get a daily (sometimes twice daily) "fix" whenever we're in Austria. It's fantastic!

bettyk Jun 28th, 2010 03:24 PM

Your own instincts are good, SteelyDad. You could EASILY spend 3 days just touring the area around Hallstatt and Wolfgangsee. It is close to Salzburg and there is alot to see and do.

However, of the other places you mentioned, we loved Koenigsee and Berchtesgaden as well as Zell am See, altho Zell am See would be a much longer drive.

Jean Jun 28th, 2010 07:16 PM

We had a very good meal at Zum Eulenspiegel in Salzburg. The building is 500+ years old, and the interior is a series of rooms on multiple floors. See link to photo gallery, and ask for the one you like best when you call for reservations.

http://www.zum-eulenspiegel.at/

I can second the recommendation of the Stern Brau in Salzburg although it does get tour groups (especially for lunch) in the summer.