Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Daytrip to Pompeii or Positano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/daytrip-to-pompeii-or-positano-638563/)

SHADRACH Aug 12th, 2006 03:25 AM

Daytrip to Pompeii or Positano?

Hi,

There are 3 weeks left for my trip to Italy and I still have a dilemma concerning Campania.

After a few nights in Rome, I'll spend 3 nights on Capri. I wanted to visit Pompeii and Positano, but I've realized that 3 nights aren't enough to visit Capri, Pompeii and Positano.

I definitely want to do a daytrip on my last day on Capri. I know that they are totally different places, but, if you had to choose between Positano and Pompeii, where would you go?

Thanks again guys.

Viajero2 Aug 12th, 2006 04:08 AM

Pompeii.

Steve_James Aug 12th, 2006 04:23 AM

Shadrach - Why choose? You can easily do both as a day-trip and spend half a day in each.

You could get the morning hydrofoil to Positano (09.40) and spend the morning there.

Then head for Pompeii after lunch. So long as you are back in Sorrento in time for the last crossing back to Capri (- currently 7.p.m) you don't have a problem.

Between Positano and Pompeii you can catch the Sita bus to META station - from where there's a half-hourly train (- Circumvesuviana) to Pompeii Scavi.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Steve_James Aug 12th, 2006 04:29 AM

P.S. Here's the Capri ferry/hydrofoil link:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

TuckH Aug 12th, 2006 05:45 AM

IMO, with several days on Capri, Positano might considered to be more-of-same, redundant.

I'd opt for a thorough visit to Pompeii - and I'll suggest that you should go to the top of Mt Vesuvius too. That's an all-day itinerary.

Weadles Aug 12th, 2006 06:24 AM

Take Steve James advice. Pompeii and lunch in Positano= one perfect day.

nessundorma Aug 12th, 2006 06:43 AM

I think you might really be disappointed if you try to rush a visit to Pompeii, which a vast and fascinating site. Many people who ordinarily view touring ruins as a kind of obligatory "chore" of being a tourist are shocked to discover how compelling Pompeii is. It is an entire city.

If you are even tempted to try to do both in one day, I urge you to go to Pompeii first.

I also tend to think that after several days in Capri, you'll find Positano only mildly interesting as destination.

nytraveler Aug 12th, 2006 09:16 AM

Pompeii - no choice.

And you really can't do both in one day - given the limited hours of the ferries running back and forth to Capri - unless your trip to Pompeii is a VERY quick run-through. (We spent 6 hours and by no means saw everything.)

ira Aug 12th, 2006 02:14 PM

Hi S,

Another vote for Pompeii.

I also suggest going to Pompeei first. If you leave in time to visit Positano, you can decide to do that then.

((I))

hnberlin Aug 12th, 2006 10:40 PM

My brother (who has a Masters in Classics) has warned me that places like Pompeii and the Forum in Rome may have to close in the future - they are literally falling apart. Who knows when this could happen. My vote is for Pompeii!

SHADRACH Aug 14th, 2006 01:41 AM

Thanks everybody for your comments!

As for Pompeii, how long does it take to visit the main landmarks?

These are the main landmarks listed in my bookguide...

Forum, Large Theater, Odeon, House of Menander, Amphitheater, Stabian Baths, Brothel, House of Golden Cupids, House of Vettii, House of Faun, House of Tragic Poet and Villa of Misteries.

ira Aug 14th, 2006 02:08 AM

Hi S,

How long it might take you to complete your list is soley up to you.

However, you ought to plan for at least 1/2 day to visit Pompei.

((I))

Steve_James Aug 14th, 2006 03:54 AM

On re-checking the timetables, Shadrach, if you do decide to do both it really only works if you go to Positano first.

If you went to Pompeii first, the last hydrofoil back from Positano (- via Amalfi) to Capri is currently listed as 16.20. Too much of a rush ...

On the other hand the last service back from Sorrento is 19.00, which would give you an extra couple of hours in Pompeii.

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

Some people can happily spend all day in Pompeii, I agree. But for most 3-4 hours is fine, I think.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

nessundorma Aug 14th, 2006 07:02 AM

I could happily spend 3 days in Pompei. You can't tell until you get there how you'll react. There is also Ercolanum, which I think is just as valuable as Pompei.

tcreath Aug 14th, 2006 07:09 AM

Pompeii is huge, and there is much more there than just the sites you named. Give yourself plenty of time. How long you spend there is entirely up to you. We spent most of the day and still missed a large section.

Tracy

TuckH Aug 14th, 2006 07:18 AM

How could one leave out nearby Vesuvio when visiting Pompeii? To me, it's a 'must-see'.

SHADRACH Aug 15th, 2006 06:26 PM

Hi again,

I think I'll visit Pompeii and leave Positano for some other trip. I'll try to get to Pompeii very early and, maybe, spend some time in Sorrento if possible.

Thanks everybody for having taken the time to give me your opinion.