Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Daytrip to Lakes from Milano...where to enjoy a scenic lunch on a Sunday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/daytrip-to-lakes-from-milano-where-to-enjoy-a-scenic-lunch-on-a-sunday-430937/)

kfusto Sep 10th, 2008 06:51 AM

Daytrip to Lakes from Milano...where to enjoy a scenic lunch on a Sunday

We plan to daytrip to the lakes while in Milan next month. It will be on a Sunday since much in Milan is closed on that day.

We plan to take a mid morning train and spend the bulk of the day visiting one or two towns. I have been to Como, Lugano and Bellagio and am open to other suggestions.

Should we train to Como and take the ferry elsewhere after walking about for a bit? Where should we plan to enjoy a nice lunch with view and would we need a reservation?

Thank you!

bobthenavigator Sep 10th, 2008 06:55 AM

I would train to Como and take the ferry up to Villa Balbanello on the west shore. Not sure about eating options.

Big_Red Sep 10th, 2008 09:06 AM

You might thinking of a more elegant, elaborate lunch but we had an outstanding lunch pizza in Torno. Just a short boat ride from Como.

You could also think about Moltrasio, Cernobbio or Laglio for lunch.

kfusto Sep 10th, 2008 09:59 AM

Absolutely not elegant, elaborate or formal. We like to eat lightly at lunch and save our calories for dinner.:)

I would love some actual restaurant recommendations if anyone has them to share. We always enjoy being on the water so that would be a plus, a table with a view and a simple, tasty lunch.

JulieVikmanis Sep 10th, 2008 11:24 AM

Well then, since you speak of simple and by the water, I have the perfect place for you. It's the Albergo/Restaurant Il Plinio, right on the water on the way back from the boat that takes you to the Balbianello stop, in Lenno.

It's where we ate on our way back from our trip to Balbianello. DH had melon with proscuitto then a plate of sausages and another of sliced swordfish. I had pizzocheri (buckwheat pasta with great cheese and swiss chard en casserole) and osso buco. all that with a couple of half liter carafes of wine came to 61 euros so you can imagine how inexpensively you can eat (still directly on the water) if you can control yourself and limit your ordering--a feat we are incapable of. Nice lunch. Cute place. Great location between the dock for the boat to Balbianella and the ferry/steam boat dock. Enjoy.

Big_Red Sep 14th, 2008 02:04 PM

Lenno is a good spot. On the fast service boats it's about a hour ride from Como, one way.

You might want to have lunch on one of the boats. They commissioned a new, large lunch/dinner boat (the Orione) in 2005.

Also Isola Comanchina is basically a one restaurant island. Set menu fixed price but supposed to be good.

Gianni Sep 14th, 2008 10:14 PM

Julie... suggestions are "the best".

Lenno & Villa Balbianello are really among best choices.

Lunch on the boat (also to be checked if they do it in October...) is really "basic" in terms of quality etc.

Ciao.
Gianni (Milan - Italy)