daytrip to Florence in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take a daytrip to Florence leaving from Rome.We will be staying in Rome four days and embark on a Mediterranean cruise. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Don't do it.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Hi Guillemard - Florence is an easy day-trip by train from Rome. ES trains take only 1hr 35'

For timetables/ fares see:

http://tinyurl.com/3eeyzn

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Hello guillemard, I agree with Steve_James. A short train trip and the train station in Florence is right there within walking distance to what you will want to see and visit. The historical center is very walkable.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Hi, My husband and I are also going to be in Rome for 5 days in November before we leave for a cruise on the 10th. We were thinking of traveling to another city and Florence comes to mind. Really wanted to go to Venice, but was told its too far and would be cold and damp. I am up for any idease on what to do for a day trip. I did try to see how much tickets were to go on a train to Florence but the site was not working for me. Anyone know how much it would be for a round trip? To Venice too? Thank You.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Rome to Florence
AV or ES train
about 1.5 hours each way
1st class 51€ each way
2nd class 36€ each way

Rome to Venice
AV or ES train
about 4.5 hours each way
1st class 81€ each way
2nd class 56€ each way

Another daytrip possibilty from Rome:
Rome to Orvieto
IC train
about 1 hours each way
1st class 20€ each way
2nd class 15€ each way

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM

I'm happy to be contradicted, but I think Rome - Venice is too far for a day trip.

Rome - Florence is much more achievable and Florence is easy to wander around. As LoveItaly says, the train station is right in the centre of the city so you are surrounded by the very divine Florence as soon as you exit the train station.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM
ira

Hi G and W,

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

If you have time, take the no. 7 bus (you can find it at the SMN train station) up to Fiesole (0:20 hr 1E) to watch the sunset from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Call center from outside Italy is 39-06-68475475

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1010987 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. There is a long listing of press 1 for this and 2 for that--press 4 for bookings. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

Old Oct 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM

cathies,

I agree. I provided the train info, but I hoped by saying Rome to Venice was 4.5 hours each way, most would not consider it a daytrip . . .
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM

Hi Ellenem, I should have written "I ALSO agree" that Rome - Venice is too far for a day trip. I was agreeing with you, not trying to imply that you weren't. No offence intended, Sorry... Cathie
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Its a perfect daytrip, for both the first time visiter and for those who have been to Florence before. No, you won't have time to see everything--but you can see a lot! Do a little research and decide what is important to you and then go for it! Its a day you won't forget.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 06:04 AM

cathies,
My concern was that the OP might think I was now suggesting that 4.5 hours each way might be a good daytrip--no way for me!

Personally I've done both Florence and Orvieto as daytrips from Rome. I like Orvieto as a choice a lot, since for many it is may be their only taste of a hilltown.