Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   days and times when museums and suchlike close (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/days-and-times-when-museums-and-suchlike-close-1185028/)

lauramsgarden Jan 18th, 2017 06:45 PM

days and times when museums and suchlike close

I do realize that there will be much variation and we need to check each individual museum, church, etc that we wish to visit but having said that I gather there are times of day that most places close and days of the week on which they are less likely to be open. I'm thinking that it might make sense to plan our travel times during the mid day rest...and perhaps our sojourn in the country side on the days on which museums are likely to be closed (Sunday? Monday?)...your guidance and experience will be most helpful. (we will be there in June if that is relevant).

HappyTrvlr Jan 18th, 2017 07:43 PM

Go to each museum/churches website. Easy to do. I always have that info in place when planning a trip. Mondays and Tuesdays are the usual "museum closed" days.
Why take a chance? We were sent to a closed site once that was a long drive away, never again. Be aware of siesta times, especially in the countryside. Stores will not be be open.

Cowboy1968 Jan 18th, 2017 08:13 PM

As you wrote, individual times need to be checked (especially for your "must-see"places).

But in general I would say:

Museums & other sights like castles or palaces may be closed on Mondays, but never closed on Sundays and often do not close for siesta.
National/natural parks are open 7 days (and usually do not incur a fee aside from, sometimes, paid parking).
Churches are open 7 days.
Stores are (often) closed on Sundays, depending on regions and respective laws.
Restaurants (may be) closed on Sunday (evenings) and may be closed from 5-7.30pm.
"Bars" (think pub, not nightclub) are open all day (and most of the night).
If you get hungry outside the typical lunch (2-4) or dinner (9/10-12) hours, you find cheap tapas/raciones at most "bars".
Dedicated tapas "restaurants" may often obey the usual lunch/dinner hours (open around noon/1, closed between 4/5 and 7/8) and can be expensive, though.

Typical exceptions
The major sites like Alhambra or Sagrada Familia are open 7 days (and typically should be booked in advance, when possible).
Bigger chain stores or department stores usually do not obey siesta hours. In the shopping areas of Barcelona, for example, hardly any store is closed during the mid-day hours.
Stores geared towards tourists in typical weekend destinations like beach towns or the White Villages may be open on Sundays.
Churches that have become major tourist sites, like the Cathedral in Sevilla, may have dedicated opening/closing hours (and fees) for visitors - while attending mass outside the tourist hours is free.

kja Jan 18th, 2017 08:27 PM

Perhaps things have changed since I was there, but I found any number of museums closed during siesta and on Sunday afternoons (in addition to Mondays). And some churches were closed for siesta.

As someone who doesn't each lunch, I planned most of my travel for the siesta.

I definitely planned my time around opening / closing times.

lauramsgarden Jan 19th, 2017 06:59 PM

thanks - that is so helpful

Christina Jan 20th, 2017 07:41 AM

I don't think museums are generally closed on Sundays in any country, as that is a day many people have off work and can go.

It is rare for museums to be closed on Sunday in Spain, at least in any city I've been in, I've never seen it. If so, it must be some small town. Sometimes they have shortened hours and close around 3 pm (like the Bellas Artes in Seville or the Catalonian art museum in Barcelona). The Prado is open all afternoon. Big tourist destinations, it seems to me some are open every day (like the PIcasso in Malaga).

Monday is usually when they close every place I've been in Spain.

ssander Jan 20th, 2017 03:31 PM

Best advice given above: Go to the websites.

Then just make a list or weekday grid for the specific dates you will be there to print out or put on your phone...very handy.

This is particularly important, since some attractions may have a closing scheduled for a usually-open day due to a special event or locally observed holiday (Paris M. Carnavalet is closed on VE Day, for example) or may have extended hours on certain days of the week or free admission on particular days of the month.

ssander

Alec Jan 20th, 2017 04:59 PM

Like almost anything else in Spain, treat quoted opening days and times only as a guide, not the last word, especially for smaller attractions or out of main tourist season. Anything, such as staff shortage, can mean a place that is supposed to be open is closed. Well worth checking by phone if you are making a special journey.