Day/weekend trip from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am visiting my new college grad (for a week) who is staying in London for the summer. She'll be working weekdays but, on the weekend, I'd like to take her for either 2 day trips or one overnight. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:16 PM

There are (literally) hundreds of places that might fit your needs. But before anyone can give you useful advice we need to know what sorts of things the two of you enjoy/like to see . . . . . .
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for steering me toward being more specific! We like to explore new places: walk the streets, try different foods, check out the museums, learn the history. We are curious and adventuresome--happy to see the classic chestnuts as well as get off the beaten path. We love natural beauty as well as the cocaphony of the city. My daughter would probably indicate an interest in going someplace "cool"...ie favored my young adults.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:00 PM

I'd suggest Bath for starters. It's supposed to be a great city to visit, either for a day or overnight. I'm planning on going myself in September.

Enjoy your trip, and congrats on getting your daughter through college!
Or at least raising her so she did it!

Julie
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:26 PM

Brighton's young and funky. Great shops and restaurants. For an over night trip, i would catch the early morning train to Paris.
Rich,
Photos of our travels around England.
www.franceinfocus.net/vlc28.html
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Brighton would fit the bill for a fun overnight stay. There are some funky hotels, great restrauants and pubs, the seafront will get rid of the cobwebs if the wind is blowing and The Lanes have some great antique shops. The Royal Pavilion built for the future George the 4th has to be seen to be believed.
Loads of info and accommodation ideas at http://tourism.brighton.co.uk
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM

I second Paris. Get a cheap return ticket on Eurostar, book yourself into a pension and enjoy the city. Or, ifyou want to stay in the UK, try E'burgh. This too would mean an overnight. If not, then a day trip to Bath would be fun. Get advice on Apex-style rail tickets from www.thetrainline.com Book ahead, pick up tix with a PIN and credit card, and stick to 2nd class and it should not be too dear. Brighton is fun, too, but will be busy in summer. York, too, is a doable day trip. It;s only about 2 hrs on the fast train from Kings Cross and is visually stunning with lots of shops, bars, restaurants, parks, a river, a castle, a city wall etc. etc.