Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day visit to Terezin Memorial - Tour or on our own?

Apr 19th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Prague for six days in May, and are hoping to visit Terezin ... thinking a half-day would be a good amount of time to devote to this.

There are tour companies - the tours take from 5 to 6 hours, but do not include Litomerice, which I would like to visit, as well. The tour costs are reasonable and include entrance fees, so cost is not an issue for us.

We have bus info from Prague and a self-guide to Terezin, but this is our first visit to the Czech Republic, and I speak no Czech. I'm wondering if we would be better off taking a tour, and if so, does anyone have a recommendation?
Apr 19th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Not thinking you'd need a tour if you have a good guide, especially if you're considering just a mass tour from Prague instead of a personalized guided visit.

Don't know how you count your days but the 1.75 hr round trip and 4-6 hours at the site is, at least qualitatively, a full day.
Apr 19th, 2015, 06:43 PM

I am usually an independent traveler but ended up signing up for a tour of Terezin and was glad I did. My daughter and I ended up being the only ones on the tour so we had a private guide and door to door bus service -- not bad! I am not sure you would have our good luck but our trip did take a full day and our guide was very good. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the tour company but it was recommended by our hotel.
Apr 19th, 2015, 08:05 PM

I easily did it myself by bus. After the camp, you'll want to walk to the ghetto to see that before returning by bus to Prague.
Apr 19th, 2015, 10:43 PM

I too did it on my own last November and it was very easy.Let me do things at my own pace and at a fraction of the Price of an organised tour.English is fairly widely spoken , just make a note on paper of the excat places you need to go to and show that to anyone you need to including the bus drivers.