Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trips to Venice from Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-to-venice-from-florence-580361/)

postcards Jan 10th, 2006 05:51 AM

Day trips to Venice from Florence

Hello, can anyone recommend a company that provides full day trips from Florence to Venice? We would like to make the trip on the 18th of January. Thank you!

Steve_James Jan 10th, 2006 05:59 AM

CAF Tours do a Venice trip:

http://www.caftours.com/en/regtoursac.htm

Otherwise you could go by train for less than half the price ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve

ira Jan 10th, 2006 06:01 AM

Hi P,

I would just take the train.

I also recommend an overnight. Venice is really lovely at night, even in January.

((I))

ekscrunchy Jan 10th, 2006 07:02 AM

I would agree. Train is really easy and you might even have more time in Venice if you go solo by train. January is a beautiful time in Venice.

postcards Jan 10th, 2006 10:02 AM

I agree that Venice is wonderful at night in January, however our trip does not allow us the time.
Would you suggest going with a tour company, or just going on our own via the train?

LoveItaly Jan 10th, 2006 10:27 AM

postcards, you can get from Florence to Venice by train in 3 hours. You don't need a tour guide for Venice and they can't drive you around Venice of course so IMO taking the train is the best way to go. Have a wonderful time in Italy!!

suze Jan 10th, 2006 11:21 AM

I would just hop on a train that morning. Venice is very compact, a decent map and basic guidebook will tell you all you need to know to do-it-yourself.

Worktowander Jan 10th, 2006 09:45 PM

Not to mention the helpful signs that always point you back to San Marco or the Rialto.

No need for a tour guide.

postcards Jan 11th, 2006 06:38 AM

Thank you all for your great suggestions! After looking it over, I have determined we can venture to Venice on our own for the day. You have all been a great help!

RufusTFirefly Jan 11th, 2006 07:01 PM

I think 6 hours travel to spend a January day in Venice is pretty much a waste of time and money.

I'd wait until I had enough time to spend in this most unique of world treasures.

Or stay in Venice and daytrip to Florence.

LoveItaly Jan 11th, 2006 10:53 PM

Rufus I agree with you but that is not what postcards asked. She asked the best way to travel to Venice from Florence for the day. Actually she asked abut a tour company and some of us suggested the train. We all have different ways of visiting areas in a country and I learned a long time ago that my way may not be the way other choose to travel.

RufusTFirefly Jan 14th, 2006 09:29 AM

LoveItaly--actually I can read. I know what postcards asked.

But it's still an open forum here, and I am entitled to provide my opinion that postcards would be wasting time and money to take a day trip from Florence to Venice.

savannah300 Jan 14th, 2006 09:32 AM

I agree, just take the train. There are walking tours and other things available that you can arrange, I believe, at the train station. It's easily done and then you can do what you want once you get there. You'll love Venice. Have a great time!!

Sue

rex Jan 14th, 2006 09:36 AM

I think that... not only is Rufus <i>entitled</i> to offer this advice...

...it is the best advice offered on this thread.

Best wishes,

Rex

degas Jan 14th, 2006 09:46 AM

Well said Rufus.

postcards Jan 23rd, 2006 12:48 PM

I just got back, thank you all for your comments, they were all welcomed and appreciated!
We ended up taking the 8:30am train from Florence to Venice and stayed until 6:30pm. While it was a short time in Venice, it was well worth it. I forgot how absolutely enchanting the city is.
It was a very easy side trip, I recommend to all. But of course, more time in Venice is always a good idea!

Tiff Jan 23rd, 2006 12:54 PM

Well done, Postcards ~ Carpe Diem!