Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   day trips/ poss overnight from Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-poss-overnight-from-florence-212409/)

jenna Dec 3rd, 2001 01:05 PM

day trips/ poss overnight from Florence?

Hello, Any advice on day trips or even 1 night overnights from Florence? <BR>Also what to do at night--anyone know of an events calendar somewhere? Unfortunately we are there 1st week in January--not much going on but if anyone knows of any concerts, opera, other music I would appreciate it.

Vita Dec 3rd, 2001 01:17 PM

Jenna, You can take the bus into one of several small towns in Tuscany. I've never been in January, but consider spending a night in Siena or San Gimignano. Fiesole is another pretty town about 20 minutes from Florence where you can spend a day or half a day.

Grasshopper Dec 3rd, 2001 01:53 PM

Pisa.........take the train and then walk through the town to the Tower. It's a lovely University town.

GAC Dec 3rd, 2001 02:45 PM

To follow up on the previous postings, I would also recommend day trips to Lucca (by bus or train) and to Arezzo (by train) (the lovely fresco scene in the movie The English Patient was filmed in the Church of San Francesco in Arezzo). I also second Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano and Fiesole. Florence in January has evening classical music concerts and (I believe) opera.

John and Penny Dec 3rd, 2001 07:25 PM

Last year we stayed at St Elizabeth Convent accross the Arno River in Florence. City Bus drops you off right in front or not that far from the sites. Found the convent in a neat little book called Bed and Blessings, a guide to overnight stays at Convents in Italy. This Sisters were wonderful, breakfast great, room spotless, location great, and price was about $70.00 for two based on about 1900 Lira to dollar. They spoke only Italian and German, but another guest helped us through the registeration.

beth anderson Dec 4th, 2001 03:14 AM

Hi<BR><BR>You know, Venice is only 3 hours on the ES Italia... you could go up one morning and come back the next (although I do think Venice deserves much more time than that)<BR><BR>Beth

snorkelman Dec 4th, 2001 04:45 AM

You can take a quick day trip to many places such as San Gimignano, Sienna, Lucca, or Pisa.<BR><BR>In Pisa you can walk from the train station about 30 minutes and see the leaning tower (or else take bus # 1 which you can board just opposite the train station (across the street) – remember to buy your bus tickets (before boarding) from the station newspaper kiosk or bar for about 1500 LIRE).<BR><BR> If you walk to the leaning tower, there are signs that have a picture of the tower and an arrow. Just follow the signs and you will end up at the tower (remember how to walk back to the station!).

Sarah Dec 4th, 2001 08:44 AM

Beth, I'm just curious - how much is it to ride the ES Italia to Venice from Florence?