Reload this Page >

Day trips out of London

Search

Day trips out of London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:55 PM
cathy

Day trips out of London

I'm staying in London for 8 days and would like to do 2 days outside of London. My younger son wants to see Windsor and Lego land. Im not sure if I should see Leeds Castle and Cliffs of Dover, Stratford or Stonehengeand Bath. I could do 3 days outside if we can't make up our minds.I want to do it all and know I just don't have that much time.There is so much to see in London. Windsor i will do on my own. Do I need a tour for either of the others. I would consider a tour for one of them.Any tour suggestions? Good companies at a good price. Thanks Cathy and chris and Mike

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:01 PM
xxx

Neither Bath nor windsor require a tour company...very easy to do on your own..but with only 8 days in London, I can't imagine spending 2 or 3 days doing day trips. we've been going yearly for 35 years and still haven't done it all!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Susan

London Walks has some interesting day trips out of London (Bath, Winsor, Leeds, etc) and you won't have to do any planning. All you have to do is show up at the designated train station on the designated day.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Nancy

I took London Walks to Windsor & Eton and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was plenty of time to see both. I and another participant stayed later and visited a church and had dinner with no additional transportation cost. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much on my own because of the commentary we got. I did see the Leeds Castle on my own but because we had a car and it was only one stop. Tours are great because of the info given. I really think tours save time if not money.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:22 PM
pete

Hampton Court is a nice day trip especially in good weather. Taking the Thames boat to Greenwich is a good half day also best in good weather.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Simone

Try http://www.astraltravels.co.uk/ for mini-coach trips. The book Daytrips London by Steinbicker is good.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:17 PM
rb

We were in London last month with our 11 year old daughter. We did a tour day trip to Oxford, Warwick and Stratford. We loved Oxford and Warwick Castle but found Stratford too touristy. We took the train ourselves to Hampton Court and we loved it! Also, did a train to Bath- that was a wonderful place. My daughter found the castles quite interesting- She also loved Hamleys toy store in London and the British Museum. <BR>Have fun! <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:42 PM
susan

Windsor is terribly touristy full of dreadful ye olde tea shops and stuff. and too many tourists. Do go to stonehenge, just as they open to get some real atmosphere w/out as many people. Bath is lovely and the Roman ruins (museum) fascinating. Cliffs of Dover along way from London if no stops along the way not good for kids, Try to see villages besides Stratford; explore side streets get off the beaten path. Leeds castle beautiful and grounds, nice area.