Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Trips Munich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-munich-1009341/)

Weaverlo Mar 23rd, 2014 04:38 PM

Day Trips Munich

Wanting to see some of Germany, thought 3 days in Munich. Spending a week in Turin, Italy and then want to see a little Germany and possibly Switzerland. No car, trains?

PalenQ Mar 23rd, 2014 06:10 PM

Switzerland is too far for a day trip from Munich - at least any part of it that most tourists would head for.

How are you going between Munich and Turin - in one fell swoop - if not you could go via Switzerland, about half way and spend a few days there.

For lots of great info on German and Swiss trains check these IMO fantastic sources: www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com. In Bavarian be sure to use the dirt cheap Bavarian Lander Pass where a couple for 30 some euros can ride regional trains and city buses and trams and metros, etc for a a full day - buy that Bavarian Ticket at any train station in Germany.

Weaverlo Mar 24th, 2014 07:47 PM

Thank you, have a week planned in Turin and wanted to add another week. Thought Zurich and Munich for a couple nights with day trips out of each? Heard train was easy transportation. Will check out the sites.

LHarbar Mar 24th, 2014 08:24 PM

I'm going to be in Munich in September and am also planning to day trip. I am going to the Castles one day and pending further research I'm thinking about going to Rue de Rotherburg (sp?). I would love to get to the Eagles Nest but fear it may be too long a day. Good luck with your planning, I'll be watching to see what other suggestions are.

swandav2000 Mar 25th, 2014 12:21 AM

Hi Weaverlo,

Yes, train is the way to go for Germany and Switzerland, and between them. Please note that you can get the best fares for the trip from Munich to Switzerland if you buy about 90 days early; you can use the German train site to research and to buy:

www.bahn.de

Munich may be a good spot for touring and for day-trips, depending on what you want to see. It will take you about 3h to get to the top of the Zugspitze or to get to any hiking or walking trails in the mountains. If being in nature is important, you may opt to stay in a smaller town or village such as Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Mittenwald.

Zürich also isn't a good base if you want to be in the countryside or in the mountains. I'd rather suggest Luzern, which is about 45 minutes from Zürich. Luzern is surrounded by mountains, and it sits at the foot of a system of lakes -- its scenery is incredible. It will be quicker to get into the mountains or the countryside from Luzern.

Have fun as you plan!

s

PalenQ Mar 25th, 2014 07:05 AM

for the real Alpine dreamy Switzerland you will not find it much in Lucerne itself but in the fabulous Jungfrau Region around Interlaken - here is the glacier-girdled Alpine peaks soaring thousands of feet above lush meadows dotted with those ubiquitous bell-toting and -tolling Swiss cows - mountain villages have hotels with blaconies with views to Kill.

Lucerne is a nice city for a day or so and has some nice trips to say Engelberg and Mt Titlis but in no way compares with the Jungfaru Region - this is the dreamy picture of Switzerland perhaps etched in your mind's eyes that will not be totally fulfilled in Lucerne.

Head for the hills - the Jungfrau Region, the number one tourist destination in Switzerland for good reason.

Dukey1 Mar 25th, 2014 08:04 AM

For Switzerland, at least the parts you probably in your mind associate with the country I would spend time in the Jungfrau region (Interlaken and surrounds) as opposed to Zurich or even Luzern.

PalenQ Mar 25th, 2014 03:01 PM

Luzern is surrounded by mountains, and it sits at the foot of a system of lakes>

not the Lucerne that I know - mountains only in the distance to the south and one solitary peak Mt Pilatus that does hover over town - but these in NO way compare to the dramatic Alpine wonderful in the Jungfrau Region (or Zermatt or Engleberg).

sandralist Mar 25th, 2014 03:17 PM

Since you are starting in Turin you might consider substituting the valle d'Aosta for Switzerland if it Alpine scenery rather than Swiss culture that you want to see. (Food is better in the valle d'Aosta!)

You can rent a car out of Torino and drive to the Matterhorn in less than two hours. While in the area, see Mt Blanc and the town of Aosta itself (so interesting!)

Then drive the car to the airport in Genoa (3 hours from Aosta) and take an afternoon flight to Munich (one hour). You'll be in Munich in plenty of time for dinner and if it is a clear day the flight over the Dolomiti fascinating, so get a window seat.

PalenQ Mar 25th, 2014 04:10 PM

cost of living is also a lot cheaper (but not cheap) on the other side of the Alps in Italy or France and the French Alps are as spectacular as any Swiss Alp - Chamonix IMO offering a host of varied things like the Jungfrau Region and also western Europe's highest peak - Mount White.

Weaverlo Mar 25th, 2014 09:47 PM

Thank you all for your great input. Like the suggestions in Switzerland for Jungfrau Region, any suggestions for B&B or nice hotel. Want to see the Swiss lifestyle and villages. Not big city people. If not Munich, any suggestions on a great place to stay to see Germany without the big city.

swandav2000 Mar 25th, 2014 11:23 PM

True, Pal, there are more and higher mountains in the Jungfrau region, and I know how much you favor that area.

When I'm in Luzern, I actually feel claustrophobic from the close-in mountains, so I wouldn't say that they are distant! Plus, for me, a lake with mountains is **more** picturesque than the mountains alone. So, Luzern is better imo in that regard!! I know it's difficult for you, but try to remember that different people like different things --

Weaverlo, what do you want to see and do in Germany? How about a stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, at the foot of the Alps and about 90 minutes south of Munich? We have good train and bus connections to the cities and sights and countryside.

s

PalenQ Mar 26th, 2014 11:09 AM

! I know it's difficult for you, but try to remember that different people like different things -->

Yes I love Lucerne especially because of the fjord-like finger of the lake - but I am putting myself into the head of a novice traveler who has expectations of an Alpine wonderland - like in Zermatt, Engleberg and the Jungfrau - and not in Lucerne - can't see glaciers from town or walk to them

The Jungfrau Region also offers a panoply of things like thrilling aerial cable cars, toylike mountain trains, walking to glaciers and cute mountain towns like Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen.

Yes swandav - everyone has a different idea of things but I am think of the average first-time visitor and how wowed they will be by Jungfrau, Zermatt and Engleberg - they will like Lucerne for the lake but many find the town rather boring and also very expensive compared to the Jungfrau Region where inexpensive hotels, hostels, Nature Friends Houses, etc abound.

and the view from your hotel balcony in say Wengen will far exceed novice's expectations of the Switzerland in the minds than Lucerne. Do Lucerne too but spend more time in the Jungfru Region.

These images are a short distance from places like Grindelwald and Wengen - this is what I mean by Alps - there is no view from central Lucerne that can compare in any way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...=1600&bih=1075

AisleSeat Mar 28th, 2014 07:32 AM

Munich has a lot to offer without day trips so dedicate a day or two there. The most popular day trips out of Munich include Neuschwanstein, Dachau, Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, Rothenburg, Garmish, Herren Chiemsee, and Nuremburg. There is a lot to see a do. Come back after your plans firm up and let us help you make your list. Enjoy your trip.

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2014 11:20 AM

Passau Germany is another unique and interesting and easy day trip from Munich.

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2014 03:45 PM

Can I ask why are you spending a week in Turin, like most of Northern Europe, highly industrial area - are you using it as a base - to visit friends or family?

If not Turin takes a good day not more.

sandralist Mar 28th, 2014 03:52 PM

I am surprised to read these remarks on Turin, which is filled with unique museums and beautiful architecture, more beautiful than most of Munich and certainly it has more interesting food and wine than Munich or Switzerland (and I dare say better chocolate too). It is also well situation for lovely day trip by train. To say "Turin takes a good day, not more" is information about the person writing such a remark, and not a description of Turin.

PalenQ Mar 29th, 2014 06:17 AM

Ok a few days but for seven days in the city - that's what I was asking - you really advise someone to stay in Turin 7 days?

Lots of other nice Italian cities.

konig_ludwig_900 Mar 29th, 2014 11:53 AM

regarding the Munich part
so i will say reserve one day for Neuschwanstein ( One Of The Most visited Castles in the world 1,5M last year)
if you are interested
so you said no car so the best way and cheapest way is by train and please start your trip from munich at 9h on the morning to be able to use the bavaria ticket (22Eur Per person , extra person then add 4Eur)
no no no panic !! :)
its easy just watch the videos below
How To Get To Neuschwanstein ( From Munich Main Station ) Ep 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKY4Ymdfuog

How To Get To Neuschwanstein ( Füssen Station ) Ep 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_WFiXy4U4

How To Get To Neuschwanstein ( Hohenschwangau Bus Stop ) Ep 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKY4Ymdfuog

PalenQ Mar 30th, 2014 07:13 AM

German Tourist Office lists Neuschwanstein the # 1 tourist attraction in Germany.