Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trips from Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-venice-801351/)

Bigwalley Aug 16th, 2009 07:15 AM

Day trips from Venice

I'm staying at the Venice Courtyard for 4 days and would like to take day trips to towns outside of Venice does anyone have recommendations?

zoecat Aug 16th, 2009 07:35 AM

A few questions-

Will you have a car or are you using public transportation?

Will you be spending any time in Venice?

What are your interests for your day trips?

Do you know that your hotel is not in Venice but on the mainland north of the airport?

LoveItaly Aug 16th, 2009 07:35 AM

Padova is one thought Bigwalley as is Treviso. Both quickly reached by train. You can take the train to Verona also, it takes longer but many people do visit Verona while staying in Venice. Just a few suggestions that would work for day trips without spending a lot of time getting back and forth. Have fun!

Bigwalley Aug 16th, 2009 07:57 AM

I will have a car not planning on going to Venice did not think about taking a train, do you know can I get a train from the Venice airport to the towns mentioned?

zoecat Aug 16th, 2009 08:10 AM

There is no train service at the airport. You would need to get to the train station in Mestre. If you have a car, you can drive to your destinations.

If you do a search for "Venice day trips" on the "search the forums" tool you can find a lot of threads.

Bigwalley Aug 16th, 2009 08:23 AM

thanks I try the search

bdjtbenson Aug 16th, 2009 08:49 AM

I hear good things about a Vaporetto to Burano.

Vttraveler Aug 16th, 2009 09:00 AM

Padova (Padua), Vicenza and Verona would all be good day trips.

nytraveler Aug 16th, 2009 09:12 AM

Padua, Verona and some of the Palladian villas are good day trips from Venice- but we did by car. Also, we really enjoyed the island of Torcello.

The problem is that you're actually not IN Venice - and also not in a really good place for public transit. I would reconsider and stay in Venice - so you can see it while you're there and have easy train access if you're not renting a car.

LoveItaly Aug 16th, 2009 09:20 AM

Hello Bigwalley, if you decide to take day trips by train there is a parking lot at the Mestre Train Station which is the train station you would want to depart and return to. With a car you have many more options such as driving to Treviso, west to Castelfranco, the country road to Asolo etc. The region of Veneto is rather serene and lovely and is such a pleasure to drive through and the small cities are not overwhelmed with tourists.

HappyTrvlr Aug 16th, 2009 09:58 AM

We did day trips to Padua, and Bassano del Grappa from Venice over two weeks. We also took a boat ride on the Brenta Canal to see Palladio's villa "La Malcontenta". They are all very worthwhle trips but Bassano del Grappa was so different from Vencie,set by the mountains, with a rushing river, that we had an extra special time there. We used trains to get everywhere. We have also visited Vicenza, Asolo and Verona and many other Palladian villas on another trip we took just to the Veneto. YOu can't go worong visiting any of these towns and cities.

bdjtbenson Aug 16th, 2009 11:45 AM

We really liked Verona but not sure it's a day-trip. Next trip we'll visit Vicenza, which is closer and may be a day trip option.

LoveItaly Aug 16th, 2009 11:55 AM

I agree with you bdjtbenson, I wouldn't go to Verona for just the day either but I have known people that have and they were happy they did. It is hard to answer a poster's questions without knowing the poster and their travel style and their interests. So hopefully a poster would do some research regarding travel time, what the town or area has to offer etc. and consequently make a decision that will work for them.

It sounds like you love the Region of Veneto happyTravlr, I do also!

Bigwalley Sep 7th, 2009 07:10 AM

thanks for all the advice, I will be traveling by car, only question is parking in towns like Padua, Vicenza, Bassano del Grappa and other mountain towns?