We're in Salzburg in early Oct and am I looking at 2 day trips as per the below and I would like some guidance or feedback on whether they are achievable.
Day Trip 1 - Berchtesgaden/Hitler's Eagle Nest
We have booked a private tour of Hitler's Eagle nest in the morning and will be finished by 1pm.
I'm not sure what we should do after the tour finishes. I have a few ideas:
1. Walk around the town and head back to Salzburg
2. Catch the bus out to Wimbachklamm Waterfalls (I had just planned to do the short visit of approx 1hr before the next bus arrives) and St Sebastian Church for a look and then head back to Berchtesgaden for either a walk around the town or straight back to Salzburg.
Are we too pushed for time to do this option? The last bus departs Berchtesgaden for Salzburg at 6:15pm (although there are trains that leave later).
3. Lake Kongissee cruise and Jennerbahn - I had initially thought to do this but we are hoping to go to the lake district in Austria which is why I thought option 2 may be better on this day trip. And we may also be too pushed for time given the length of the boat cruise.
Day Trip 2 - Wolfgansee Lake + Hallstatt
- Bus Salzburg to St Gilgen
- Boat ride from St Gilgen to St Wolfgang
- Take the cog railway up to Schafberg
- Bus from St Wolfgang to Hallstatt
In Hallstatt we just plan to wander and perhaps go to the salt mines.
- Train back to Salburg
We don't mind long days and just enjoying the scenery.
Is the above achievable or does anyone have any suggestions on how I could plan it better?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 2 6 days in Slovenia and Croatia in January
- 3 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 4 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 5 land vs river cruise
- 6 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 7 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 8 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 9 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 10 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 11 Scotland ideas
- 12 Tips for first trip to UK
- 13 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 14 Iceland tours from Keflavik
- 15 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 16 The World's Greatest Churches
- 17 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 18 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 19 Malaga Christmas lights
- 20 Portugal
- 21 Paris November 2017
- 22 Anyone ever used a resort for a day in Santorini??
- 23 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 24 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 25 paris to london- day trip