Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Trips from Rome and Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-rome-and-florence-43524/)

Marcel May 4th, 1999 03:31 PM

Day Trips from Rome and Florence

We're in Rome for 6 days and Florence for another 6. What are the best day trips (out in the morning and back in the evening)from these cities? Thanks in advance.

pam May 5th, 1999 08:10 AM

Marcel, <BR>My family is doing the same as yours. We have planned a day trip from Rome to Ostia Antica; a day in Orvieto between Rome & Florence; a day trip from Florence to Siena; and a day in Fiesole, in the hills above Florence. I'm sure we'll both get other ideas from more posters.

Deb May 5th, 1999 08:48 AM

A day trip from Florence has got to include Siena. Leave early so you can have your cappucino and brioche at the cafe overlooking the Piazza del Campo--a beautiful medeival square. The core is strictly pedestrian. Shop for pottery and wonderful Tuscan food gifts (including the nutty, rich Siena "cake") or just enjoy the wealth of important monuments. But on your way home for the evening I highly recommed stopping in the village of Castellina in Chianti for dinner. There is a tiny pedestrian only street and on that street you will find a restaurant facing the main hotel. (the name escapse me right now) Don't arrive before 8PM. They have 2 menu choices. The tavola (cold antipasto--the table must be 15' long) for abot 8,000L and pizza beginning at 8,000L. Thin, wood-fired, oven-baked pizza (many varieties) Squisito! Extensive wine-list with a focus on Chianti (naturally). We have been to Italy twice and have eaten at that restaurant 4 times and we've agreed on a strategy. We both have the tavola and share a pizza. The choices of mushrooms, olives, breads, cheeses, and meats on the table is wonderful. <BR>I also recommend keeping an eye out for event posters in all the major centres and the tiniest villages as well. An evening of outdoor music in Tuscany is unforgettable.

jc May 5th, 1999 08:56 AM

I'd like to cast my vote for Siena and Orvieto. A previous post summed up the features of Siena, but I'd like to add the following about Orvieto: <BR>A beautiful Duomo, pretty vineyards just outside the town, and the best white wine I've ever tasted! Go to the proprietary enotecas (wine stores where the owner sells wine from his own vineyard) and the small salumiere have excellent cheeses and prosciutto de cinghale (ham made from wild boar). <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Paul May 5th, 1999 09:35 AM

Siena - one of the most beautiful cities in Italy, not to be missed! It's like stepping back into Medieval Europe. Be sure to climb up the tower in city hall for a spectacular view of the Campo (main square). It's a long hoof, but I found that they'll let you go up to the 1st landing below the tower for free - the view is still great!! <BR>You might consider taking a bus down from Florence if you don't want to drive. There's frequent service (hourly or better) between the two cities. I can also recommend the pizzeria in Castellina in Chianti. We stayed outside of Castellina last year, and ate at the pizzeria - yum yum!! The way it works is that you can have pizza, antipasto (all you want to eat from that huge table) or both, plus lots and lots of great wine. The pizza is terrific, and the prices are a steal. To get there, turn East from the main intersection in Castellina, and follow the main drag. The restaurant will be on your right.

pam May 5th, 1999 10:09 AM

We are taking the bus from Florence to Siena & back. Does that preclude the visit to Castellina? Thanks...

toom May 5th, 1999 10:26 AM

From Florence, I would like to suggest Pisa for a day trip, not so far, just about 1 hour by train. It is easy to explore.

richard j. vicek May 5th, 1999 10:51 AM

Good afternoon; Marcel <BR>Do not discount ASISSI... <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

richard j. vicek May 5th, 1999 10:56 AM

Good afternoon, again, Marcel <BR>Day trips out of Rome: <BR>Naples - Pompeii - Sorrento- Capri, These can be done independently or by <BR>guided tour. <BR>www.romeguide.lt/carrani/default.htm. <BR>www.travelvantage.com/ <BR>Tivoli and Villa d'Este also good. <BR>Over Piza would also consider <BR>San Gimignano. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Ill...

Paulo May 5th, 1999 11:37 AM

From Rome, there are regular full day bus tours to: Naples, Capri (lunch) & Sorrento; Naples, Pompeii (lunch) & Sorrento; and Assisi (lunch) & Orvieto. There are also 1/2 day bus tours to Tivoli and Rome Environs. <BR> <BR>On your own, you may visit Pompeii and a quick Naples look (by train); Tivoli - Villa d'Este and Villa Adriana (by bus) and Ostia Antica (by train). I would prefer doing these on my own instead of joining a tour (you would have plenty of time on the sites ... the tours have a tendency to rush things quite a bit). If you decide visiting either Capri or Assisi & Orvieto, a tour would be called for. Should you visit either Orvietto or Assisi (not both), you may, once again, do it on your own (by train). <BR> <BR>From Florence, there are regular full day bus tours to San Gimignano & Siena; a Day in Chianti; Montalcino and the Brunello; Pisa (some also to Vinci); Lucca; Medico Villas; etc. <BR> <BR>On your own, you may visit Lucca and/or Pisa (train), San Gimignano (bus), Siena (bus). You may also rent a car for a day and get lost in the hills of Tuscany. <BR> <BR>My personal choice would be the Tivoli visit (on my own) and renting a car to drive through the Chianti Classico region (tasting some wines) to Siena and return late at night! <BR> <BR>Paulo

Dan May 5th, 1999 02:09 PM

My wife and I returned from Rome on Saturday, and I would urge you to consider Ostia Antica for a day-trip from Rome. Actually, half a day would do. It's touted as being on par with Pompeii and Herculaneum, and the experience was one that we won't soon forget. Got a very clear understanding of life in that time from our visit. Very well preserved/restored. <BR> <BR>Close by are two other attractions -- a church just off the main road, and an excellent restaurant for lunch after your visit to the excavation. It's called Ristorante Monumento, and the risotto was great. Order carefully if you're not a seafood lover, though -- the town is very near the coast, and my wife's plate had a lot of interesting sea-creature parts she had to eat around.... Buon viaggio!

Robin May 5th, 1999 03:03 PM

<BR>Marcel: <BR> <BR>Altho not a response to the question you asked, I'm assuming that while in Florence you may be visiting the Uffizi? If so, order your tickets online now - don't get caught waiting umpteen hours in a long queue! I'd purchased my tickets about 2 weeks before I left & then when I was there last month, I only had to walk up to the special window, show them my e-mailed response & they handed me my tickets. No lines - no wasted time. <BR> <BR>-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Weekend a Firenze [mailto:[email protected]] <BR>Sent: Monday, April 12, 1999 11:37 AM <BR>To: Koretsky, Robin L, CMIPM <BR>Subject: Re: Prenotazione: The Uffizi Gallery <BR> <BR> <BR>Hello Ms Koretsky, <BR> <BR>We are pleased to confirm your reservation for the following visits . <BR> <BR> <BR>Uffizi Gallery ( n° 3 tickets next April 21 1999, 14.00). <BR>Reservation number is 33767. <BR> <BR>Tickets will be available at the entrance cashier without queueing up.