Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trips from Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-rome-774037/)

SpartanTartan Mar 19th, 2009 03:49 PM

Day trips from Rome?

My husband and I will be in Rome for 4 days and 5 nights in late April/early May and are thinking about taking a day trip to Florence and/or Pisa. However, with our limited time, should we opt to stay in Rome and forget the day trip(s)?

petertherabbitt Mar 19th, 2009 04:01 PM

look up the casteli di roma and spend 1 day visiting the towns of frascati and morino

ellenem Mar 19th, 2009 04:04 PM

Florence is possible, just 90 minutes away by train. Pisa would be further and more difficult to reach--I woul dnot recommend it. My favorite day trip from Rome is Orvieto, a lovely hill town in Umbria that is easily reached by train and closer than Florence .

LBev769375 Mar 19th, 2009 04:04 PM

If this is your 1st trip to Rome, stay in Rome. There is so much to see and you need to take time to actually see and experience Rome itself. Florence would be a wonderful day trip if you had 6-8 days, but Rome is worth every bit of the 4 days. Save Florence for your next visit...

StCirq Mar 19th, 2009 04:05 PM

I wouldn't do that, with such a short time in Rome. I'd spend half a day at Ostia Antica.

risab Mar 19th, 2009 04:39 PM

If this is your first time to Rome and you only have 4 nights then I would wholeheartedly encourage you to stay in Rome all four days. There is so much to do and see and you can devote a day to a section or area because while it is a walkable city it is still a large city. I have been to Rome a lot so I really advise you to stay put and enjoy.

...I do agree that Florence is a workable day trip (provided that you make reservations for Uffizi and Accademia in advance, assuming that you may be interested in seeing both museums. Florence is small and easy to maneuver in a day. Orvieto is a lovely day trip (but maybe if you've already been to Florence). I wouldn't go to Ostia if I have four days...I'd just stay put because there is enough antiquity to keep you busy in Rome. I find that an afternoon in the Borghese gardens or walk on Palatine feels like a daytrip.

annhig Mar 20th, 2009 03:00 AM

hi tartan,

a day trip somewhat closer at hand is to tivoli to see the villa d'este and hadrian's villa, both of which would be lovely in late spring.

metro to Mammolo on line B, then bus to tivoli [only some of them go to villa adriani or get a local bus when you get there].

as we were lazy [and DD had decided to wear flipflops and had horrendous blisters] we never got to Hadrian's villa. but we did have a lovely long lunch and then got the bus back to Rome.

ergards, ann

LucieV Mar 21st, 2009 05:43 PM

Rome is my favorite city, so I'm a biased responder...but if I only had 4 days and 5 nights in Rome, I would not consider leaving!

Even if you make no plans to do anything, the city itself is a so stimulating, so beautiful, so rich in life and culture...you could wander the streets for months without getting bored, imo.

Apres_Londee Mar 21st, 2009 05:56 PM

A daytrip wouldn't do Florence justice anyways. Stay in Rome.

SpartanTartan Mar 21st, 2009 10:45 PM

Thanks everyone. Based on your responses, I think we'll stay in Rome. If by some fluke we have the time, then we'll try Florence. But I have a feeling we'll be busy enough in Rome.