Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trips from Paris in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-paris-in-november-86513/)

Sal Sep 15th, 2000 06:36 AM

Day trips from Paris in November

My boyfriend and I, ages 40 and 42, no kids, will be in Paris for six days in November. We're thinking of a side trip to Chartres to see the cathedral. I'm looking for a couple of restaurant recommendations for lunch there. Someplace "nice" but not necessarily 3-star stratospherically priced, if you know what I mean, and definitely not stodgy but not teen-heaven or gen-x either. Are reservations necessary for lunch, or can we leave it to chance, which in the past has worked out great for us (unexpected places not listed in the guidebook). Also, we're thinking of a day trip to Brussels, if anyone has any helpful information on sights and eats there. I'd love to see Bruges, actually, but it may be too far for just a day trip? This trip is a 40th birthday present for my boyfriend, so anything charming and romantic is on the agenda. Thanks so much. I've been reading this forum for the past few weeks. It's such a great source of info, and so interesting to read about others' travel experiences.

John Sep 15th, 2000 08:00 AM

I've done day trips to Normandy and to the Loire valley from Paris. I have no specific restaurant recommendations, but don't think it will be a problem. I would leave it to chance and go for the unexpected. There certainly is no shortage of charming places to eat at.

Lesli Sep 15th, 2000 09:52 AM

Chartres is a great daytrip - the cathedral is stunning and the town very charming as well. I will pass along some restaurant recommendations from the last hosted forum on Paris: <BR> <BR>"Message: I have 2 recommendations and they are only footsteps away from the front doors of the Cathedral. <BR>Stand directly in front of the Cathedral doors. Look right, past the street. There are two cafes facing you, with a street running between them. I've eaten at both, excellent. Ate indoors on a cold day in the cafe on the left. Ate outdoors in the outdoor tables on a hot day. <BR>------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <BR>Author: Chris ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 3/10/2000, 11:38 am ET <BR> <BR>Chartres has lots of great eateries. Two of the best are Buisson Ardent and La Vieille Maison, both near the cathedral on the rue du Lait. <BR>Make sure you take Malcolm Miller's magnificent tour of this magnficent cathedral -- twice a day (noon and 2:45 pm), except Sun and holidays. Malcolm has devoted his life to informing the world of the wonders of Chartres cathedral -- he'll even come to your hometown; for prices, call 0237281558." <BR>------------------------------------- <BR>Based on Chris' recommendation, I had lunch at La Vieille Maison in April, and it was wonderful. It is very attractive, and both food and service were excellent. It looks a bit formal, but in spite of the fact that I was alone and did not have a reservation, they made me feel very comfortable. (I also took it as a good sign that the woman from the tourist office was eating there.) The set menu for lunch was about 135 FF. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Sal Sep 15th, 2000 11:10 AM

Thank you Leslie and John!

Lesli Sep 15th, 2000 11:33 AM

Sal - <BR> <BR>Forgot to mention... I have not done it, but a friend of mine has gone to Brugge for the day from Paris, so it is doable. A very long day she said, but she considered it worth it, and in fact one of the highlights of her trip. They took a highspeed train to Brussels, and a connecting train from there to Brugge. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Sal Sep 15th, 2000 12:10 PM

Thank you, Lesli, again. I appreciate your taking the time, and the info is very useful.

Lesli Sep 15th, 2000 01:02 PM

You're very welcome. (And please pardon my mispelling above!)