Day Trips from Paris - end of November

Oct 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Day Trips from Paris - end of November

Hello,
Heading to Paris with my husband for about 8 days the week after Thanksgiving. We are in our 30's, like art, culture, good food, wine and history.
Taking into consideration that it may be rainy, what are recommendations for a day trip?
What about Marseilles, Versailles?
Your input would really appreciated.

I did my due diligence and searched the posts, but couldn't find what I needed.

Thank you!

picture_girl
Oct 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Did you search day trips Paris? That should yield you dozens of suggestions.

Marseilles is at the opposite end of France from Paris - most definitely not a daytrip.

Versailles, Fontainebleau, Chantilly, Senlis, Ile des Impressionistes, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Barbizon, Auvers-sur-Oise, Reims, Rouen...all are great daytrips from Paris. But really, search this site for lots and lots of info on these and more.
Oct 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Hi picture_girl:

I went to Paris in November over Thanksgiving last year, and took a day trip to Versailles. It was absolutely lovely in November because a lot of the trees in the gardens still had colorful fall leaves. It was so pretty - and the crowds weren't bad at all. I'd definitely go back in November again if I had the chance. I took nice trips to Amiens and Chartres as well, but Versailles was my favorite in the fall.
Oct 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I did a day trip solo to Auvers sur Oise in September, and I really enjoyed it. Besides enjoying the beauty and serenity of the town, attractions include the Museum of Absinthe, Van Gogh's home, the cemetary where he is buried, and the Chateau d'Auvers sur Oise. One of the things I really enjoyed were the prints of Van Gogh's works displayed in front of the scene/subject that he painted, such as the L'Eglise d'Auvers sur Oise. Versailles, which I did on my previous trip, was also very worthwhile, although very different (and far more crowded). Auvers sur Oise was wonderful to get away from the crowds and just spend time in. Depends on what you are looking for.
Oct 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM

hi, p/g

i think i saw a recommendation for Giverny in autumn here recently, and then there's all the others mentioned.

we liked St. Germain en Laye when we went there years ago, for a taste of Fench provincial life, and you can get there on the RER, just like Versailles.

but it depends on the time you've got and the weather. My DH worked in Paris many moons ago, during a bitterly cold spring, and I still remember 25 years later how cold it was at Versailles that year. so take your winter woolies.

regards, ann
Oct 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Eight days isn't too long to just stay in Paris without a day trip. Just a thought.
If you wanted a "culinary" day trip, you could take the TGV to Lyon for the day.
Oct 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM
TC

We spent part of one late November in Paris. Here is a section of my trip report on the day trip we made to Versailles. It was lovely.

The next morning we were up early to take the train to Versailles. It is late enough in the season that the fountains have been turned off and the flower gardens are bare, but with the absence of summer crowds we were able to see the palace at a leisurely pace. Although the French government has spent more than $19 million on restoration of the palace and "Friends of Versailles" (many of whom are Americans) have spent millions on the gardens there is still much disrepair and shabbiness about. I was greatly dismayed to see graffiti etched in the famed mirrors of the "Hall of Mirrors". After a lunch of rabbit stew, French bread, tarts and cafe au lait, we visited the Petit Trianon and the Grand Trianon, two "small" palaces also on the grounds. The Petit Trianon was built by Louis XVI as a gift to Marie-Antoinette. She, in turn, spent a fortune creating the Hameau - a hamlet of 3/4 sized thatched-roof cottages, a watermill, a lake and rose arbors and gardens to remind her of her Austrian country home. We slept all the way back to Paris on the train.

Oct 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM

You've got some great suggestions already, and I wrote some down for my next trip! Just an FYI- while Giverny is a wonderful day trip, the gardens will not be open in November.

Oct 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!
Oct 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM

I think Versailles( the gardens) are worth the short trip. The fountains come on at 1530 on the weekend.

I'm going to give you some pointers for inside Paris as well:

The Musee Quai Branly just under the Eiffel tower is open on Sundays. It is an amazing collection of non-eurocentric art and artifacts. Their cafe has decent lunches.

L'Organerie is open now after much time and houses Monet's Water Lilies in two rooms. It also has a small collection of impressionist works that will delight rather than overwhelm.

As we were leaving Paris a Steichen show was about to open @Le Jean du Pom.
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:54 AM

My husband and I took a day trip to Normandy and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Oct 17th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I tend to favor both Chantilly & St. Germain-en-Laye as previously mentioned. That being said, you'll find plenty to do IN Paris, regardless of the weather.