Notices

Day trips from Marseilles

Oct 1st, 2016, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Day trips from Marseilles

Three of us are active travelers (we are energetic 60 y.o. empty nesters) but traveling together for the first time. We will be in Provence in October and do not want to drive a car while there. I am planning three day trips from Marseilles (our "home base"). None of us are big shoppers. Two of us are more interested in art and museums, and good food. We all want to experience local community life.

I'm the leisurely one of the group - I linger and an interested in history. I also love good wine. We are all accommodating and compromising. Basically, we will visit museum, see historic sights, taste good food and experience the pace of Southern France.

I'm a fan of Van Gogh. I'm considering 1 Arles and Avignon; 2. Aix-en Provence; and 3. village, seacoast, countryside combination. I considered Gordes but thought it was too far to go.
Do option 1 and 2 make sense? I considered Nimes, too but prefer Avignon. Any suggestions for day trip 3? I would love to visit wine country, but we are not driving. How is Cassis? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Oct 1st, 2016, 12:32 PM

You can get to Aix, Avignon, etc. very easily by local trains.

Also trains and busses to Cassis, pretty little seaside town, easy to chose from several small boat tours from there to see the calanques.

Search this Thread