Notices

Day trips from Marseille

Mar 11th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Day trips from Marseille

Hello all!

I intend on going to Southern France at the end of April this year. I was planning on staying in Marseille or close to it and taking a few day trips to Cannes, Aix-en-Provence and Nice. I was hoping that any of you who have travelled these areas would be able to suggest a place to stay in Marseille and Cannes as well as other possible day trips? Are there any places that I shouldn't miss? I will be going for under 2 weeks.

Thank you all,

Diana
Mar 11th, 2014, 11:41 AM

Aix-en-Provence is a sweet old university town that is an easy day trip by train oar from Marseilles. If taking the train take the region trains that go right to the center of Aix and not the more expensive TGV trains that go to Aix-TGV station a few miles out of town.
Mar 11th, 2014, 01:07 PM

I would base in two places - Marseilles if you want to see Aix and the Ile d' If, just off Marseilles makes an intriguing day but there are not as many day trips of interest to the average traveler from Marseilles - itself IME a fascinating city - a totallu unique city but there are many day trips in the Cote d'AZur (Nice-Cannes, etc) area - many like iconic hill towns like Vence and St Paul-de-Vence, Grasse for perfume factories - Nice itself is a great base that is always lively - Antibes a great old town with a Picasso museum, etc.

Spend more days in the Nice area IMO than in Marseilles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ile+...=1600&bih=1075
Mar 11th, 2014, 01:17 PM

What is your budget? It's fairly important for hotel recommendations, unless you just mean place to stay in terms of a town, but it sounds like you want hotels. I stayed in a really nice hotel in Marseille right on the port, loved it but it wasn't cheap.

Search this Thread