Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will stay in Madrid for 1.5 days that includes May 1st.
We are not sure wether to stay in Madrid or go to Toledo.
Are touristic attractions and restaurantes, etc. open on that day in both cities?
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 09:23 AM

With so little time, that is a personal choice of what you want to see. Very rushed either way.

Madrid: the Prado or another art museum, the Palace, just walking around nice central areas of big city.

Toledo: only about 25 minutes by train, small medieval city with one of the top cathedrals in the world.

In both, regardless of the day, many restaurants are closed from mid afternoon to early evening.

I love it so much, I would probably go to Toledo for part of a day, even only for the cathedral.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sassafrass!
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 08:42 AM

You can "walk around" the museum area but the Prado and museums are closed May 1st. It will be hard to find ANY building open that date as it is the Worker's Holiday.

All the official information is on the webpages of the museums. I saw none open the 1st of May.

As far as which city is more interesting for you.. it will be easier to walk around Toledo in a day and get a feel for its unique urban planning than Madrid. If the little tourist train is running, do take it as it goes around and shows you a lot more and is easy on the legs.

If you take the tourist bus in Madrid you will get a good overview as Madrid is quite large.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, lincasanova

We spent one day in Madrid in May 2012, and we did the walking tour around Madrid, to get a quick overview of the city.
This time, we wanted to get to know a little bit better the city. I guess we will only be able to wander around.
We will arrive to Madrid the day before at 2 pm, but after a 12 or 14 hour flight, so I don't think we will be able to take advantage of Madrid on April 29th!
Are even the markets closed on May 1st?

Any suggestions for that day? We are a party of four, including two boys with 10 and 13 years old

B
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Here's a list that you could do most of even on the 1st of May / excluding the museums)

http://www.hostelworld.com/travel-fe...free-in-madrid
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 01:13 PM

I think the Mercado de San Miguel should be open the 1st, but I'm not sure. Their offices are closed now so I couldn't find out for you. Perhaps someone else knows the answer for sure.. Cova? Robert?