Into Rome>Montalcino>Cinque Terre>Parma?>Como?>out Milan Linate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our fifth trip to Italy and we got a killer deal from SFO to italy on British Air-$740 in the heart of summer. Found out that we could come into Rome and leave from Milan at the same price so I did that (perhaps hastily). We will be on the ground for 16 days.

We love Rome and plan to stay there 3-4 nights. We once stayed at Albergo del Senato, but that's way too expensive now (best location and view of all time). Know a good centrally located place for 100-150 Euros per night that you love?

Must make a quick detour to Assisi-I know that's crazy. We plan to get a car sometime. Could we train to Assisi and pick one up there? then drive to Montalcino.

Then we plan to spend 3-4 nights in Montalcino. I loved the isabell Dusi book "Vanilla Beans & Brodo: Real Life in the Hills of Tuscany." We are looking at staying at IlGiglio, but other suggestions would be welcomed. We were there once before for just an afternoon and I am looking forward to visiting some wineries.

After Montalcino we are wide open. Probably need to head north at that point. Don't need to go to Siena or Florence again necessarily. Have been to both several times.

I am thinking about Cinque Terra for several days. Coming from Montalcino (a 4.5 hour drive?) Where should we park and stay?

My wife also has a desire to see Parma or we could do the Lakes for a day or two and then out of Milan Linate.

Does anyone have a good exit strategy from Linate?

I DEFINITELY understand that we can't do everything, but i want to keep my options open as I plan.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think I started planning on Fodor's in 2003 and the help has always been invaluable.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM

Good for you--looks like a fun trip.
Your problem is Assisi--that is a long way from Montalcino. I would either drop it or plan to spend 2 nites in Umbria.
You best car option is to train to Chiusi or Foligino for pick up. Here is what I would consider:

Arrive rome--4 nites
Train to Umbria--get car--2 nites
Drive to Montalcino---3 nites
Drive to Portovenere for CT--3 nites
Drive to Orto San Guilio for Lake Orta/Maggiore--3 nites
Last nite near Linate--drop car at airport.

That is a good start. In Rome, here are some hotels:

BOB’S FAVORITE HOTELS IN ROMA
All are located in the centro historical area of Rome and within a :20 walk of many of the major tourism sights. All prices assume a standard double room:

SMALLER B&BS: Prices will range from 130E to 200E—average 170E
* www.nicolasinn.com Near Colosseum with helpful hosts

www.daphne-rome.com Tasteful B&B in 2 locations—good press

http://www.baldassinibeb.it/eng/index.html Great location/reviews

FULL SERVICE 3 STAR HOTELS: Prices will range from 150E to 220E
www.albergocesari.it Great location & my wife’s favorite

www.hotelteatropace.com Near Piazza Navona—opened in 2004

www.lancelothotel.com Nice hosts near Colosseum—good reviews

www.hotelsancarloroma.com Near Spanish Steps & shopping area

www.smeraldoroma.com Good location and decent price

www.hotelportoghesiroma.com North of Piazza Navona—has quad

NICER 4 STAR HOTELS: Price range from 240 to 320E
* www.locandacairoli.it Newer Boutique hotel near Piazza Navona

www.hotelpontesisto.it Nice modern hotel near Jewish quarter

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it Very nice near Piazza Farnese

BUDGET 2 STAR OPTIONS: Prices from 90 to 140E for double in season

* www.hotel-giardino-roma.com Good location and nice people

* www.solealbiscione.it Popular place near Campo de’ Fiori

WILD CARDS: Both have hotel and apartment options in good locations

www.hotelmozart.com Nice features—great choice for families

www.hotelmodigliani.com Good reviews & friendly owners
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Bob. You are the greatest. It always is an honor to get your advice. thank you. Jim

Any thoughts on parma if we go there instead of the lakes? Have you ever had Culetello? Know where to see where it is made?
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stop in Pienza or Montepulciano on the way to Montalcino if you haven't been.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM

Are you sure your flight is out of Linate-there are two airports in Milan.

Hotel Smeraldo (small rooftop terrace) and sole al biscione(terrace and patio) are both in great locations in Rome. Right across from Smeraldo is Roscioli's bakery and delicious food for lunch.

We have been to Parma-the sight www.foodmaven
gives instructions on how to visit a parmaggiano cheese farm.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:52 PM

Parma is cool, but you can do it in a day.
Besides the lakes I would look at the wine region of Piemonte. Look at Villa Sampaguita near Asti.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM

I like bobthenavigator's suggested itinerary, but I would spend days in the Parma / Bologna area, rather than the Lakes. That's simply because the Lakes region just isn't that interesting to me, and Bologna is one of my favorite cities in Italy. It's big enough to have interesting things to do and see, a main Piazza that's great for people-watching, great markets, great food. I've read good things about Parma, as both a day trip and a base location, but have not yet been there.

In Rome, we've stayed several times at Residenza Canali ai Coronari, located about one block from Piazza Navona, on a quiet side street filled with antique stores. The rate may be a bit higher than you want to spend; for a tripe this fall, we paid 200 Euros (though actually it was 180E because we paid in cash).
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM

Did you visit Sant'Antimo on any previous trips? It is near Montalcino and a lovely stop to picnic on the grass outside the church before or after listening to the monks' Gregorian chants. Maybe the poppies will be in bloom!
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Bob,

WE went to Piemonte and stayed at Villa Sampaguita in Nov. of 2008 on your recommendation. Tim and Rina were fantastic. Tim was the greatest tour organizer. Loved Torino and all the Piemonte wine spots.

We also stayed in Castillina at Fattoria Tregole too.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 05:50 AM

Good for you--2 of my favs.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Is the best bet for leaving from Milan Linate to just stay in Milan City Centre? Where is the best place to turn in a rental car?

Drop off in city center Milan and stay there then bus to Linate?

or

Drop off at Linate and stay there?

We are flying to London on British so it is Linate.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM

It is not easy to drive in Milan--I would avoid the centro at all cost. You can figure out a decent route to Linate from outside of Milan using Google Maps. I would drive there--at non rush hour---return the car, and stay nearby at a hotel with a shuttle. I have never had to use Linate---I am assuming your flight is early as are most connectors.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM

If you go to Assisi, I highly recommend staying at: http://www.lapalazzettadelvescovo.it/ - it is in a small town called Fratta Todina which is close to Assisi, Deruta, Montefalco and not a bad drive to Perugia (about 40 minutes). We have stayed at La Palazzetta del Vescovo twice and plan to go back (we live in Naples, It). The owners, Stefano and Paola are lovely people and staying here may just be a highlight of your trip. We decided to stay here after reading the reviews on tripadvisor - the only accommodations I've seen on that site that had NO negative reviews - instead, all very high reviews!
Also, if you go to Parma and interested in seeing proscuitto di parma, parmigiano reggiano and aceto balsamico tradizionale places, "parmagalosa" is a wonderful company for organizing this for you - http://www.parmagolosa.it/parmagolosa/home2eng.html. We ended up having our own private tour guide and it was a really great experience.
We drove to and around Milan - wasn't a big deal. Lake Como is an hour away and is very lovely.
Have a good trip!
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 01:43 AM

I'll add my Lake Como is the most beautiful place post.....and very easy to get to the Milan airports from. This website will give you a taste and some ideas....

http://www.lakecomoapartment.com
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 06:24 AM

<<We are looking at staying at IlGiglio>>

I stayed there for a week and enjoyed it. However, I had a room with a view of the vineyards and it was beautiful at sunrise and early morning. If your room isn't on that side, though, you'll have a street view. The hotel is well-located on a street with lots of restaurants and shops and an easy walk to the fortezza.

Do visit Sant Antimo while you're so near, it's well worth a short drive.