Day Trips From London......Suggestions?

Old May 5th, 1998, 03:44 PM
Rob & Nicole

Day Trips From London......Suggestions?

Hi Folks! Can anyone recommend a fun day trip from London. We're going in a week and will be there for 10 days but would like to spend a day outside of the city. We'd like to leave early am and return in the evening. Is it possible to do a day trip to another large British city or perhaps an "country" town? We would like to travel by train. Thanks!!!!

Old May 6th, 1998, 04:19 AM
anne

We prefer to be out of the big cities, and there are so many reasonable day trips from London...I recommend getting the book Day Trips - London. Super directions, maps, ideas of things to see in the destinations.
We've especially enjoyed Bath and Oxford, and York - farther afield, but easily accessible by train. This summer we're spending a few days in Kent, and though it's close to London, you need a car to get to the gardens, country homes and castles easily. That's also true for the Cotswolds - but that's such a wonderful part of the country - maybe it'd be worth getting a car for a couple of days and spending a night there!
Have fun!

Old May 6th, 1998, 05:29 AM
holly

I vote for either Oxford or Salisbury. Salisbury's cathedral is one of my favorites, it's a very nice town, and you can take a bus to Stonehenge right from the train station and still have plenty of time to enjoy Salisbury. Train to Oxford is quick and efficient, too, and it's got lots of beautiful buildings and gardens to enjoy.

Old May 6th, 1998, 06:12 AM
roger

My wife and I have enjoyed many day trips by train from London. You may want to consider more than one. The previous recommendations are good ones. Oxford is only about an hours ride. Bath is fun but my favorite is York, a two hour train ride. You can purchase r/t dicounted fares after the morning rush hours, I think after 9am. You can ask for "cheap day return" tickets, about 1/2 regular price. Also, be sure to know from which of the many train stations your train departs. Have fun!

Old May 6th, 1998, 04:28 PM
michael

I love Cambridge for a day. It is just beautiful. Also, Eton and Windsor are quite spectacular. I have not been, but all my British friends say that Brighton is a MUST. That is what we are doing on my next trip in late May.

Old May 7th, 1998, 02:16 PM
Mavis

No one mentioned Stratford. Great place for a day. If you have a whole day you can probably even fit in a play, I think in fact they have pkgs. including a play and train journey fr. London. Lots of antique stores, great restaurants, lots of people, but if you wander off the main streets you can find quiet places. You can also walk to Anne Hathaway's cottage and take the bus to Warwick to visit the Castle. Don't miss Holy Trinity Church, not only are Shakespeare and his wife buried here, but it is so full of character. Also the Dirty Duck pub, across from the theatre is lots of fun. You can also get out on the water, either on a guided tour or rowing. I've also enjoyed Bath, make sure to go along with a guide in the Roman Baths, I've been there many times, but the last time we actually followed a guide and learned lots of interesting things. And don't miss the Costume Museum - fascinating place. Lots of places to eat around the Baths and Abbey. Have fun.

Old May 8th, 1998, 04:09 AM
Cindy

I cast my vote for Eastbourne - great little city to wander around but great seaside attractions. Take a coach (short ride) out to walk the "downs". Wonderful walk out to the lighthouse with a view of "Seven Sisters" that is magnificient. We visited Eastbourne last year and I personally prefer it to Brighton as we found that it was not as crowded as Brighton. If you decide to go to Brighton please be aware that there is a nude beach - it can be a surprise!! You can make a day trip to Southampton for a catamaran ride across to Solent to Cowes on the Isle of Wight - one of my favorite places! Queen Victoria's home, Osborne House is nearby and a must see if you are a fan of Queen Vicky. Have you checked into the BritRail special passes? Have a great time - what ever you do, it will be wonderful.

Old May 8th, 1998, 06:49 AM
May

NO one mentioned Rye? It's a little town, south, about one-half to two hours by train. It's picturesque, but crowded.

Old May 8th, 1998, 05:12 PM
Mary

Hi Rob and Nicole--my friend and I really enjoyed Windsor Castle; it is an easy train trip from Paddington Station; there is a great exhibit on the fire and the restoration is exquisite; the castle is right in the town which has shops; you can walk across the bridge to Eton. We saw the Changing of the Guard which was fun and better than at Buckingham Palace (call for the time).

Have a great time. Mary

Old May 8th, 1998, 05:45 PM
Jacqueline

Are you intsensely whimsical? Do you like Pooh Bear?
If so, we had a wonderful explore via "The original London Walks" a free publication which offers many unusual walks.We spent a great day in Pooh Country
out in a beautiful area, AA Milne's home, and the actual bridge where poohsticks was played.At any
rate get the brochure and sample many different areas in and around London. The guides , on the several walks were knowledgeable,fun, and helpful!

Old May 12th, 1998, 06:38 PM
judy

Rob and Nicole, I would vote for Warwick Castle . I've been there on two trips - once by car, once on a bus tour. The bus tour left fairly early from our hotel and returned late afternoon. We made reservations for it from our hotel after our arrival. The tour takes one to Warwick, Stratford, and Oxford University. Bus tours leave a lot to be desired, but in a pinch, for a one-day trip, it might work for you. Have fun - What I enjoyed most about England was getting out into the countryside , stopping in villages and eating scones...

Old May 13th, 1998, 05:33 AM
curt beane

I agree with the above, especially the Cotswalds. Also another great castle is Leeds, south of London. You can get there by train, then a shuttle bus from the station to the castle. It is wonderful, surrounded by a moat. One of my favorite castles in England. Also try a boat ride up the Thames to Kew Gardens, then take the tube back. Great botanical garden and just outside the main entry is a great little tea shop for scones and tea.

Old May 13th, 1998, 12:13 PM
colleen

Two or three more ideas: Take a boat trip to Hampton Court Palace or Greenwich. We didn't have time on our recent trip, but they're on my "to-do" list. Here's something a little different: If you're a Beatles fan, take the train to Liverpool! It's about 2/5 hours. We pre-booked the Magical Mystery Tour (bus) which left the TI near the station at 2pm (about $15 pp). It was great! The guide and the driver are both musicians and contemporaries of all the musicians who played at the Cavern, etc. Liverpool is big, so if you want to see the homes and haunts of the Lads, the tour is a must. Don't be shy! Great Italian restaurant in town (near the Cavern) across the street from the Eleanor Rigby/parkbench statue. All the other suggestions you're getting are great, with the exception of Brighton! Ugh! (The Pavilion would be fun to see, but I did not enjoy Brighton.) Ta!

Old May 13th, 1998, 12:13 PM
colleen

Two or three more ideas: Take a boat trip to Hampton Court Palace or Greenwich. We didn't have time on our recent trip, but they're on my "to-do" list. Here's something a little different: If you're a Beatles fan, take the train to Liverpool! It's about 2/5 hours. We pre-booked the Magical Mystery Tour (bus) which left the TI near the station at 2pm (about $15 pp). It was great! The guide and the driver are both musicians and contemporaries of all the musicians who played at the Cavern, etc. Liverpool is big, so if you want to see the homes and haunts of the Lads, the tour is a must. Don't be shy! Great Italian restaurant in town (near the Cavern) across the street from the Eleanor Rigby/parkbench statue. All the other suggestions you're getting are great, with the exception of Brighton! Ugh! (The Pavilion would be fun to see, but I did not enjoy Brighton.) And I LOVED York. Ta!

Old May 13th, 1998, 12:39 PM
kam

Done most of the daytrips suggested here--PLEASE GET A COPY OF DAY TRIPS--LONDON. It's invaluable. The only addition I would make is that Stratford, while wonderful, is not an easy daytrip if you want to see the theatre (trains stop running) and Bath is a lovely day trip--have lunch in the Pump Room. Trains are super easy---you know you need to know which station to leave from, however. Have a great time.

Old May 30th, 1998, 07:33 PM
Fred and Sarah

Holly, can you tell me which train station takes me from London to Oxford? We are arriving at Stansted Airport and need to get to Witney which we understand is not far from Oxford. Also, how does one get to Stonehenge from Oxford? Thanks.