Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Trips from London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-london-89418/)

Abbie Oct 9th, 2000 11:48 AM

Day Trips from London

My husband and I are traveling to London (for the first time) for 10 days and we're interested in getting out of 'the city' for a day or two. Any suggestions? Also, Stonehenge is a must, what else should we see out in the West Countree (?) Thanks.

Manju Oct 9th, 2000 12:20 PM

You could also try a day-trip to Dover <BR>and Canterbury. Do plan to spend some time at Dover. There are a lot of tour <BR>operators who organise such day-trips. <BR>Ask your hotel front-desk for a brochure. <BR>I have also heard good things about Bath <BR>but haven't been there. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>-Manju

Debbie Oct 9th, 2000 12:29 PM

Hi Abbie, <BR> I went to england a couple of years ago, and took 2 'day' trips out of London. <BR> 1. Bath - ( I actually stayed overnight there - VILLA MAGDALA was an absolutely wonderful B&B across from a large park , just off the Putney bridge - would stay there again in a minute.) This is a great city with free walking tours of the city everyday. It is about 1 hour from London by train. <BR> <BR> ( If you are interested in Stonehenge - you may be able to take a train to Bath, see bath, and then do either a bus trip , or rent a car to Stonehenge.) <BR> <BR>2. Cardiff - also about an hour by train from London - we enjoyed walking the main street and seeing the Cardiff Castle. <BR> <BR>Of the two - Bath was definitely better, but Cardiff was a nice day trip. <BR> <BR>Check out BRITAIN BY BRITRAIL for more day trip /train ideas - I found it very helpful. <BR> <BR>Depending on how many day trips you do, you may want to check out the cost of individual tickets versus a britrail pass. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

sean Oct 9th, 2000 02:51 PM

You will struggle to see Stonehenge/Bath without an overnight stay.Give yourself a break and explore closer to London-Canterbury and Windsor would make great day trips. <BR>Avoid Dover at all costs-it is a dump!

Jan Oct 9th, 2000 11:24 PM

Winchester would make a good day trip the train journey there is about an hour so you would have plenty of time to see the sights. If you want to go to Stonehenge why not stay overnight in Salisbury which would give you time to see the cathederal etc. Must say I agree with Sean re Dover.

Angela Oct 10th, 2000 12:38 AM

Abbie <BR>Agree with Sean that Windsor (and nearby Eton) would make a great daytrip. Some great shopping, castle, Eton school, beautiful countryside ect. Also Oxford and Henley on Thames would be just about reachable for a day trip by train., lots to see plus some important museums if thats what you also enjoy. Also IMHO Dover is not the most pleasant of towns, it has much history - that is about it, I always seem to be there (at ferry port) and never get the impression that I would recommend it to tourists.

Howard Oct 10th, 2000 03:25 AM

A couple of other suggestions - Oxford, a great town, and only about an hour from London, and York, in the north of England - pretty far in miles from London, but because of a fast rain, only a little over 2 hours from London. <BR> <BR>Howard

Abbie Oct 10th, 2000 09:10 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Odd that so many people recommend Dover who have never been there (our friends and family). We'll skip Dover, which was actually a serious consideration. York has sparked my curiousity (I am originally from York, PA), any thoughts on what to see & do there? Thanks again! We leave this Friday!!!

Howard Oct 10th, 2000 09:18 AM

Hello again <BR> <BR>York is a great small city - some highlights: <BR> <BR>-the minster (catherdral) <BR>-the walls around the old city that you can walk on <BR>-an excellent museum on york history <BR>-the main shopping area with its narrow, pedetrianized streets <BR> <BR>Howard

Howard Oct 10th, 2000 09:18 AM

Hello again <BR> <BR>York is a great small city - some highlights: <BR> <BR>-the minster (catherdral) <BR>-the walls around the old city that you can walk on <BR>-an excellent museum on york history <BR>-the main shopping area with its narrow, pedetrianized streets <BR> <BR>Howard

David White Oct 10th, 2000 10:11 AM

Abbie, <BR> <BR>There are two categories of "day trips" to consider. The close-in places that I recommend are Hampton Court and Windsor. Both are 30-40 minutes by train from downtown. At Windsor, you feel at little more "out of town" than in Hampton Court, but both are stellar sights and easy to get to one a day trip. <BR> <BR>Greenwich, just downstream from London proper, is another close-in day trip. (skip the Dome...if it survives until you get there; see the observatory and nautical museum). Taking a boat to Greenwich is an interesting way to get there. <BR> <BR>Further afield, you can take a train to Salisbury (and a bus tour to Stonehenge if this is really a "must-see" for you). That would take most of a day, if you take a look around Salisbury too. <BR> <BR>Bath is a great small city for a visit (I would really recommend spending the night, but it can be done in a rushed day trip too). As others mentioned, York is a fantastic medieval city, about 2 hours by train. Again, an overnight stay would reduce your rush here. <BR> <BR>There are tours of the Cotswolds that leave from downtown London--if you don't object to the tourbus scene. You can also take the train to several places in the Cotswolds region, but its hard to see the countryside without a car or a bus tour. Warwick, with its castle, is worth a visit. Oxford, with a side-trip to Blenheim Palace is also a good destination. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR> <BR> <BR>David White <BR> <BR> http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR> <BR>.

justine Oct 10th, 2000 10:22 AM

I'd highly recommend the Botanical Gardens ... especially during the week (even in an off season). It's a very easy trip by tube. Cambridge is also quite beautiful, not just the university grounds, but the town as well, and very convenient by train.

Alan Oct 10th, 2000 01:45 PM

We have been to London several mtimes and the trips that are mentioned sound good except for Greenwich. We wasted a day there. We took a cruise down the Thames but were not overwhelmed at all. Everything else i9n the area excited me but this was a big nothing.

Berlinda Oct 11th, 2000 01:46 AM

I'd highly recommend Greenwich. We like to sail, and love naval history, so for us, Greenwich was a real treat. The Maritime Museum is wonderful. The Royal Observatory, where the prime meridian is set, is fascinating. If you like history, especially maritime history, then you'll love the place. Or if you like architecture, parks, or wandering around flea-markets, you'll do well too. Climb the hill to the Observatory. The view of Wren's finest building (well, it's my favorite, anyway), the magnificent Naval College, from the top of the hill, and of the Thames valley, taking in the Dome, Canary Wharf, and in the distance, central London, is spectacular. Not sure that I would consider it a "day trip" though. You'd need a day to do it justice, but Greenwich is still part of London. If the idea is to visit another city, then I'd recommend Cambridge. The view from the backs overlooking St. John's, King's and Trinity College, is a sight I will never forget. And only an hour from Liverpool St. station, also.

julie Oct 11th, 2000 06:34 AM

I had a great day trip to Oxford from London about 4 years ago. The trip is so easy--just an hour--and it was well-worth it. Oxford is an excellent walking city--much to see, and a nice respite from London.

Jane Oct 12th, 2000 08:58 AM

Hope I'm not posting too late. I recommend Warwick Castle. I've been all over England and still feel this is one of the best. Beautiful grounds, lovely structure, the Madame Troussaud presesntlations inside are not hokey as one might expect - rather liked them. Fun peacocks. Definitely skip Stratford - tourist trap. I hope you are not disappointed with Stonehenge - I really liked Avebury better - it is near the Cotswolds. Bath is also a great choice - Roman and Georgian architecture. Have fun.

Lois Oct 12th, 2000 09:27 AM

York is wonderful, for listed reasons listed by Howard above. Cotswalds?? Quaint.. If so, also defineately rec: Warwick Castle. I've been in no less than 40-50 castles / palaces in Europe, and Medievel Warwick rates in top 5. Cambridge&gt; full of ambiance...Wonderful stay there, beatiful college grounds, nice walking. Oxford is also wonderful, more stately. Nearby Blienheim Palace worth a see. Stonehenge, worth seeing for about 20 minutes... Intense wind, but go if it holds real fasination for you. Lots of bus tours out of London to many locations, or train it... Great. London: If WWII holds any fasciantion for you, see Cabinet War Rooms. Even as a female, I loved it.

elaine Oct 12th, 2000 09:52 AM

thanks for the information on Warwick Castle. I've added it to my notes for my next trip to the UK. <BR>By the way, there is an excellent website <BR>www.warwick-castle.co.uk/main/home.html

tom Oct 13th, 2000 09:24 AM

when on the britrail site look at the southeast railpass. it is for three days and not expensive. with the pass you can take the train over that area and see dover, rye, canterbury, oxford, cambridge, and windsor. you can also go to bath or york by paying extra.