Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trips from Innsbruck (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-innsbruck-380513/)

JWard Dec 4th, 2003 09:04 AM

Day trips from Innsbruck

Family is staying 7 nights in Innsbruck after Chrirstmas and am looking for suggestions for day trips. I have heard good things about Garmisch and Seefeld. Any other suggestions. Thanks,
Ward

Bob1 Dec 4th, 2003 10:40 AM

It is really not that bad of a drive to go from Innsbruck to Munich. We were staying in Garmisch Christmas time 2001 and went to Innsbruck for the morning. Saw the old town, turned around and drove north to Munich. Had a great time and came home to Garmisch that evening.
Not hard to do.

Definitely go to Garmisch area.

Steve_James Dec 5th, 2003 01:36 AM

JWard - By car or train? How far do you want to go? Other possibilities would be

- the Italian Dolomites
- Salzburg
- Kitzbuhel
- St Anton

Steve

JWard Dec 5th, 2003 04:21 AM

Steve,
We will have a car, and are planning on a day in Salzburg. Which of these would you suggest.

Steve_James Dec 6th, 2003 02:10 AM

I'd recommend a day in the Dolomites! They are spectacular anytime - but especially in winter.

You'd need to choose a clear day to see them at their best, of course. You might also want to check road/snow conditions.

Your best option from Innsbruck IMO would be to head for the Val Gardena area. There are many lifts in this area from Ortisei, Santa Cristina, Selva and Plan de Gralba for superb views, and Ortisei itself is a delightful Tyrolean village.

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

seafox Dec 6th, 2003 04:10 AM

I am a big fan of Kitzbuhel, both for skiing (it's not too over the top) and just general wandering and enjoying a taste of a well preserved Austrian town. If you ski, go to St. Anton, there are some great difficult runs that will challenge your skills and soul!! Another thing to consider is a short drive north to Neuschwanstein (watch the weather in the fern pass)....if you have children - it is the inspiration for Disney's castle

sneezey Dec 6th, 2003 11:16 AM

Innsburck is a great hub for excursions -

Dolomites (would be a top for me)

Verona, Italy

Saltzburg
Berchtesgaden
Konigsee

Liechtenstein

Neuschwanstein has been mentioned, but don't forget Linderhof and Oberammergau

If you do get to Munich, consider on the drive home going through Wasserburg. There are other direct routes, but it's a nice stop on the way.

lsutiger Dec 6th, 2003 12:58 PM

Just got back in today after 9 days in Innsbruck. Took train on all trips:
Did the following day trips:
Seefeld/Garmisch: Great trip...I'd do in one day...Great Greek restaurant in Garmisch...near train station (El Greco?)...Pork tenderloin in baked in Feta....fantastic..Seefeld is great town...you will find it to be more upscale than Innsbruck...have a great public pool..can pay day rate.. sauna spa is coed..(nude)..but indoor/outdoor heated pool has ppl wearing suits....but lockerrrooms are coed too I think...
Bolzano..depends on your crowd..but this is a great Italian town...Southern Tirol....have to cross Brenner pass..so watch weather if driving....Highlight was "Iceman" museum...found in 1991...5000 years ago....has original clothing....etc..and great lesson on progress of western civilization ..well worth it...Also..there is a little restaurant...right behind one of the Vegetable markets booths..hard to find..but very very good...ask the tourist info for rest ideas..they can't give out specific names..but will show you on a map 3 places..it is the one in the middle..the best way to describe...all locals..I got the pork rump roast...with sauerkraut..wow
Salzburg...nice town...We visited Fortress...which is another great history lesson...we did buy "salzburg" card..and got our money's worth...museums..etc...bus fare for the day...also Mozarts birth place..didn't think I"d like it..but great info on him...and his era...VERY hard to find...so get in general vicinity and ask...visit residenz palace...
Take a day in between your major day trips and just explore around Innsbruck...
you can take bus or tram to Igls...I'd take Tram...it was worth it just for the scenic ride....which is very scenic and well worthwhile..visit Hall in Tirol...
We skied Stubai Glacier...49 per person included..bus ride....ski and boot rental...lift ticket...really a great deal...buses leave from main station..but tickets at info desk..
We also skied Solden...can take train to otzal and bus from there...or drive...or you can take a bus from Innsbruck..leaves at 9:10...which is really kind of late...but great skiing...
Jeez..my head is spinning....email me at [email protected] and I"ll share info with you...I"d be happy to help