Day trips from Courmayeur and Chamonix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year's trip with our skier son will take us to Courmayeur and Chamonix. We'll have 3 nights in the former and 5 in the latter.

Since Courmayeur is not very big, I expect we will want at least one and possibly two day trip destinations while there. I can find a bus that will take us to Pre St. Didier in 6 - 8 minutes and a bus that will take us to Aosta in an hour. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been to either or both about the places and which to choose if we decide to do only one day trip. Since Aosta is considerably bigger I'm assuming it would be the better choice but I base that solely on size. Very open to direction from those in the know. Are these my best/only real options for day trips from Courmayeur Any other suggestions?

We've been to Chamonix twice before and have made day trips to Megeve which we found very cute, and to St. Gervais which we left almost as soon as we got there, unable to find its charm. I've now found what appears to be a very good restaurant in St. Gervais so we may return and I'd really like to hear about what else to look for there if we keep an open mind.

I'd also like to hear of other reasonable day trips, preferably by train from Chamonix. We love Annecy but think that a 2 and 1/2 hour ride to get there and another to get back is just too much. What little gems am I missing? Even willing to go to purpose built ski villages if they have some cute "downtown" features and good dining. I'm all ears. Please share any knowledge of these areas. Thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 08:23 AM

There is not much to see at Pré St. Didier, but Aosta is a gem. You can easily spend a full day there if you visit all museums, all Roman excavations and buidings (theatre, etc.) and the charming medieval city center.
The many castles of Aosta Valley (Castelli Valdostani) are worth to see too. Check the opening times. Castles open to the public | Aosta Valley
Torino would be a long but interesting day trip. Actual timetable: Courmayeur dp 6.15 - Turin ar 9.24. Turin dp 17.35 - Courmayeur ar 20.45

From Chamonix, you may visit the Roman theatre and the many museums of Martigny, the Monastery of St. Maurice or Chillon castle.
A day trip to Geneva is possible too.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 02:29 PM

Check out a day trip on one of the most thrilling aerial gondolas in the Alps or anywhere - the Pt d'Aiguille to Pt Heilbronner line which runs high above a sea of ice far below - not for Nervous Nellies however as the small 4-person cabins often stop when folks are getting on and off at each end - eerily dangling over the rugged ice flow far below - the only sound I hear was of the ice cracking below. And you could take luggage in these cars too and take a novel route from Pre-St-Didier to Chamonix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aigu...ih=625&dpr=1.5

And the train line down to Martigny - nice Swiss city to visit that neckervd recommends (he/she's Swiss) - one of Switzerland's fabled scenic mountain railways - approaching the Rhone Valley far below the train trundles along a rather narrow ledge with views for miles. There is a famous Damn too you can visit by this train.

For lots on trains and transports in the area check www.ricksteves.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com.

Last edited by PalenQ; Oct 28th, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks neckervd and PalenQ,

So, I'm now definitely set to give Aosta our all during our stay in Courmeyeur. Will skip Pre St. Didier. From our previous time in Chamonix, I know about the cable car but being a Nervous Nellie we've never done it. May screw up my courage in light of your endorsement. Funny that both of you should speak of Martigny. We've been there on our trips to Zermatt. Share your enthusiasm for the rail ride but somehow can't get excited about the city itself. When we're in Zermatt we prefer to spend time in Sion, (great restaurant there--could be what draws me), and Brig (another great restaurant) Hmmm, maybe I'll be ok this time in St. Gervais since we'll be going for lunch.

Again, thanks for the recommendations. And thanks for the info on Aosta valley castles. I'll study it further to see if we can get to any by rail since we'll not be driving. Julie
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 11:13 AM

Ypou are right, the CITY of Martigny is nothing to wwrite home about. But the museums and the Roman theatre.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 01:33 PM

Martigny I thought was a nice nice city but yes average for Switzerland. But two mountain trains go from it a short distance up into the Alps - one to Orsieres and one to Le Chable from which a cableway go to Verbier- an especially nice Alpine town. From Sierre near Martigny you can take a very long funicular up to Crans-Montana, popular Alpine resort and Montreux and Chateau Chillon not far from Martigny by train either. Well for a taste of Switzerland.
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 01:42 AM

Sierre/Siders - Montana is one of the most panoramic rope railway lines of Switzerland. During the 12 minutes journey (for an ascent of 3000 feet, roughly from 500 to 1500 metres above sea level) , you have fine views to vineyards as well as to glaciers and dozens of more than 13000 meter high mountain peaks. Free ride with Swiss Travel Pass.
The funicular runs all the year round, every 30 min. The journey from Montana up to Berne or Interlaken takes 1 hr 40 min. Up to Paris it's 5 hrs 40 min, up to Milan 2 hrs 50 min and up to MXP 2 hrs 35 min.

Last edited by neckervd; Oct 30th, 2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks neckervd. We have been to Sierre (again from Zermatt) and done that rail journey through vineyards, but hadn't thought to do it from Courmeyeur or Chamonix. Will check it out and keep it as good option.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:41 AM

Easy day from Chamonix but long way from Courmeyeur?
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Yup, I just figured that out. Thanks for the heads up, though.
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 01:14 PM

Did you take the Mont Blanc 'Express' train up Mont Blanc to Montenvers and to be able to walk to glaciers? Leaves right from Chamonix:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mont...ih=625&dpr=1.5
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

No, we have not. That looks like a great option. Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ, if you've done the Mont Blanc Express, can you tell me how difficult it is to traverse the path to the glacier. Would we need special boots, etc? We will be there about 2 months after I have hip surgery which could, of course, pose other problems depending upon how quickly I get in shape after the surgery. If I can't actually walk about in the glacier area, would just the train ride itself be worth the trip? Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 02:38 AM

The Mont Blanc Express (cog wheel railway) goes from Martigny (Switzerland) via Les Marecottes - Finhaut - Le Chatelard - Vallorcine - Montroc - Argentiere to Chamonix.
The Montenvers cog wheel railway goes from Chamonix to the railway station of Montenvers, 1910 metres/6300 feet above sea level. The glacier which came up to the railway station some 100 years ago is now at 5400 feet. If you want to go down to the glacier, you can take a gondola for the first part and then go down a long kind of stair (some 500 steps) up to the ice cave.
https://www.chamonix.com/montenvers-...ace,81,en.html
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:39 AM

No as neckervd says easy to walk to glacier -if take gondola and steps. Not sure about path instead of gondola as we took gondola.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm. I'm set for hip replacement surgery this coming Tuesday and we head out for Chamonix and Courmayeur on January 8. I expect I might be more than a little challenged to take on the 500 steps to the ice cave this time. May have to save for another trip. Thanks for all the useful info.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 03:26 AM

Don't worry: there are ice caves all over the Alps, most of them with easier access.
BTW: the best of Montenvers is the mountain/glacier panorama from the railway station and restaurant, not the climb down to the glacier!
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Reporting back.

We went to Aosta by bus from Courmayeur and after a momentary grimace as we left the bus area, found the lovely main square, walked about the nice streets, admired some of the Roman ruins and had perhaps the best meal of the trip at Vecchia Ristoro. This was a great day trip and I'd recommend it highly to any non-skiers accompanying skiers in Courmayeur--which is itself a delightful, if pretty small, town to explore for a day or two.

During one day in Chamonix we took the Aiguille du Midi cable car to the top, exited and walked around long enough for DH to take pix. I had to sit down on the way back, so I now have enperience to know that I won't be taking more trips of that sort. Still glad I took this one and thank you all for your suggestions.

Trip overall was relaxing, beautiful and quite delightful with excellent food, the latter of which can make any trip great for me.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm glad to learn that you enjoyed your trip.