Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day trips from Avignon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trips-from-avignon-1650929/)

Ewanique Mar 27th, 2018 05:59 AM

Day trips from Avignon

We will be based in Avignon from 18 June till 22 June 2018. I realize it is relatively early for lavender but holding thumbs for some in Luberon. Would like to visit at least 1 market morning. My friend is an avid patchworker and would like markets with material. Interests:- art, wine, people watching, just leasurely getting a "French country feel". St Remy and Aix is a must. Will book a tour for 1 day. The rest by bus if possible or renting a car. Btw, my friend read an article of swimming in lavender pool? Cant find this.
​​​​​​​suggestions please.

PalenQ Mar 27th, 2018 06:46 AM

For Aix, trains are great - just a short hop from Avignon-TGV station to Aix-TGV station - check www.oui.sncf for schedules and advance booking - general info trains BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Buses easy for St-Remy - but renting a car would be better as you could also see Les Baux and do your own Luberon tour and base in a smaller town like St-Remy which many here love. Avignon is a neat city too and great for basing if taking public transports - but lots of traffic for cars.

MmePerdu Mar 27th, 2018 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are 2 market days in Uzès, Wed. & Sat., not far from Avignon. There's limited bus service so you need to time your visit. Bus station in Avignon is near the train station (to the south, left as you walk toward it from the town center). I stayed a week in Uzès, loved the town & the very entertaining market days. Sorry, I don't know specifically about fabrics.

Bus schedule: Attachment 530

kerouac Mar 27th, 2018 09:54 AM

You can never be sure about lavender season. If summer starts out hot, there is a good chance of some of the lavender being in bloom.

You can perhaps find some ideas and definitely some pretty good lavender fields (reply #7) in this report from 2 years ago.

Vaucluse and beyond | Any Port in a Storm

MmePerdu Mar 27th, 2018 03:33 PM

Here are more bus schedules for the area, Avignon, Ales, Nimes, etc. Maybe easier to read than the PDF link I gave above:
Edgard - Toutes les lignes

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2018 07:37 AM

Really renting a car again would be best for what you want - and have no fear of driving in this area. Pick up car at Avignon-TGV station and you're well out of Avignon's rather horfrendous at times traffic.

MmePerdu Mar 28th, 2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16702639)
Really renting a car again would be best for what you want - and have no fear of driving in this area. Pick up car at Avignon-TGV station and you're well out of Avignon's rather horfrendous at times traffic.

Because I live in an area where public transport is scarce to non-existent, I find being able to get around without a car when I travel liberating. "Best" for me is not having to worry about parking or the car itself and being able to see where I'm going, eyes not glued to the pavement. It's true that there may be compromises about where to go, but I find that the places I choose with access by bus or train generally turn out to be just as attractive, or better options, as those I'd have chosen to go by car. There are places everyone has heard about and consequently are on every itinerary, and then there are the rest, just as entertaining with far less competition for space at every turn. Having done both, I find driving a rental car, especially in unfamiliar territory, seriously over-rated.

kerouac Mar 28th, 2018 08:49 AM

I understand your point, MmePerdu, but as regards the Avignon area, most of the places of interest are quite small and there is very little public transportation. I can't think of any convenient lavender fields that you can visit by train. I always stop to admire them in the absolute middle of nowhere.

MmePerdu Mar 28th, 2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac (Post 16702696)
I understand your point, MmePerdu, but as regards the Avignon area, most of the places of interest are quite small and there is very little public transportation. I can't think of any convenient lavender fields that you can visit by train. I always stop to admire them in the absolute middle of nowhere.

Agreed, K, if there's something of particular interest accessible in no other way. I stayed for about 10 days in Avignon & Uzès using trains & busses & feet and felt not in the least deprived. But then I'm generally content with less movement and a leisurely visit in an area I've chosen, rather than constant movement in search of the thing I fear I'll miss. It's always style that divides us, isn't it.

Ewanique Mar 28th, 2018 10:16 AM

Voila. Found the distillery with a lavenderwater pool. Distillerie Les Agnels. South of Apt. Anybody been there?
Thanks for the links. Downloaded and filed.
Decided to rather rent a car.

Southam Mar 28th, 2018 02:25 PM

The Avignon tourism office is very helpful, both in person and on-line Site officiel de l'Office de Tourisme d'Avignon
It includes info on day trips.
Years ago I took a bus excursion to Orange to see the Roman ampitheatre, where the famous acoustics are tested by a summer opera festival. A glimpse of Chateauneuf de Pape, although not a taste of the expensive wine, was on the itinerary.
It's easy to get to Arles, with two ampitheatres and a street market Saturday morning.
http://www.arlestourisme.com/en/sear...=market&id=819

PalenQ Mar 28th, 2018 04:01 PM

Arles was the brief residence of van Gogh in late 1800s and other artists of his ilk - he and others painted many local scense and copies have been set up right where they painted them. Arles is a wonderful town with a spectacular Roman Arena (which still hosts shows) and yes a famous market. And just 20 minutes or so train ride from the heart of Avignon.

PalenQ Mar 29th, 2018 04:46 AM

And of course St-Remy has the asylum van Gogh committed himself to after slicing off his ear in a mad fit in Arles - there he of course painted local scenes and there too copies of these works have been set up where he did them.

Ewanique Mar 29th, 2018 08:06 AM

St Remy and Aix is on our list to visit. I will print an area map tonight and with Stududley's report on Provence, work out routes daily and post it for recomendations. On the 22nd will work our way toward Marseilles and the obligatory bucketlist of Bouillabaisse. ��

PalenQ Mar 29th, 2018 10:40 AM

You can also join the French Foreign Legion in Marseille if you want:

Marseille | French Foreign Legion Information

Ewanique Mar 29th, 2018 12:56 PM

PalenQ, I assumed your comment was tongue in cheek. None the less, me being an avid googler, did just that. I can just see their faces when I a 65 year old lady walk into their office wanting to enroll and that being for 5 years and having to wait for 2 weeks for their acceptance. Oh well, having a French surname might have been a positive. Nooooo this aint on. The free accommodation and meals would have been fun.

geetika Mar 30th, 2018 03:16 AM

Following this thread, we're staying a little east of Avignon near Monteux for 10 days from June 13. Fingers crossed for lavender, my mom's particularly hoping we'll see some filds in bloom... :)

StCirq Mar 30th, 2018 03:23 AM

It's been a very cold winter in France, so hard to say if the lavender willl bloom early or not, but there's also been plenty of rain in the past few weeks. I would imagine that the tourist office in Sault would have up-to-date information.