Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

day trip: Venice to Soave (and other places)

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (myself, husband and two teens) are getting ready for a much anticipated trip to Venice for a week in April. We'll be in an apartment in Venice for seven nights.

Of course, Venice is plenty, but I'm looking into a daytrip for one of our days.

Has anyone been to the town of Soave to see the walled city and castle? The castle is 14th century, founded by the Scaligeri rulers of Verona and furnished in period style. I'm looking into this as a daytrip. Looks like the train does not go to Soave, however. I'm thinking a one day car rental may be cost prohibitive, though I'm not ruling it out.

Does anyone know of a website of information on buses for travel from Venice into the Veneto? Can't seem to find any information myself.

As an added question, does anyone have ideas for daytrips into the Veneto which would give one a breath of country air or a small-town-Italy feel? Any particular favorites?

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:30 AM

My husband and I spent a week in Venice in the summer. Like you we thought of a day trip or two out of Venice, however, we spent the whole week exploring Venice.
However, if I was going back again I would take the train to Padova (A University town which is supposed to be very nice). There are also other nice towns in the area. Its about an hour's journey away. You could also be adventurous and go to Florence for the day (by Eurostar)
(although perhaps you may have already been to Florence). We did it the other way round one year - Florence to Venice and it is possible in order to see the major sights.
We visited the islands of Murano and Burano and they were very nice to wander - although dont be tempted by a visit to the glass factory, unless your children would like that. Its a tourist trap.
Hope this is of help.
Isobel
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:57 AM

Of course a half day in Burano is a must. Beyond that, I've seen barge daytrips advertised to tour Paladian villas along the river. You use bus for one direction via Stra. There are web sites, but I think in any case it may be best to consult travel agents in Venice for such packages.

You probably already know about bigger places like Vicenza, Padua, and Verona; I'm trying to decide among them myself. The consensus seems to be for Verona, although it's train station isn't centrally located.

With so much time, be sure to visit the remote "fishtail" part of Venice - a whole other world of spacious parks, wide streets, and lack of tourists. It's beyond the maritime museum, which is a huge, change-of-pace attraction, meriting much time in itself.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! No, I haven't been to Florence and yes I might consider it. No, I hadn't considered the area beyond the maritime museum and I love parks and trees and quiet areas so thank you!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Just checked train schedule on web,it is a three hour ride from venice to florence way too long for a daytrip.Can pick up a car in Piazza Roma for the day it is not that expensive.Trip to soave is one hour by car check viamichelin.com. We rented our car from hertz for a daytrip to verona Christmas.I am guessing that it would be easy to park in soave.Driving is slightly intimidating but look at the map, to soave will be mostly on the autostrada RR
fast but fun.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Piazza roma is just across from the mainland in Venice.Vaporetto goes there
so it is easy to get there.RR
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:53 AM

Giselle,

I've been through the Rocca Scaligeri in Soave - probably will take 30 to 45 minutes to walk through, tops. The furnishings and frescos are good but not so special that they are worth a day trip - especially if it involves a car rental for the purpose. I would suggest Verona or Padova - both accessible by train. Verona is wonderful - the Arena, Scaligeri tombs, Castelvecchi, Piazza Bra, San Zeno, great shopping . . .
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Ditto Isobel...

My hub and I spent 6 nights there last spring and had intended to do a day trip to Verona or one of the Italian Lakes.

We spent the whole time in Venice and loved it.

We did visit Murano and Burano one day but the rest of the time we stuck to Venice.

Kavey
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Giselle, a few more options to consider (although Soave sounds lovely)
Asolo is supposed to be beautiful. It's an easy 1 hour train ride.
At this time of year you might want to go to Lido and Guidecca (where the Cipriani hotel is), both easy vaparetto trips.
There's a new hotel 5* hotel called San Clemente Palace on the island of San Clemente, also, I gather, accessible by vaparetto.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:23 PM

I agree with those nixing Soave. Didn't find it terribly memorable. Verona would be my choice for a side trip. Within Venice itself, don't overlook Torcello... magnificent mosaics. I enoyed that more than Burano or Murano but kids might be bored. If you want to splurge you could have lunch at the Cipriani there. (Torcello) I think they have a private launch from Venice proper.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:34 PM

There are several good day trips by train from Venice, but Soave would not be in my top 6. I suggest:
Verona
Vicenza
Bassano del Grappa
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Gsielle,
I came across some information about outdoor markets in the Veneto area that may interest you in terms of where to go & when. They're on weekends. The website is http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/markets.htm