COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Day trip to Verona from Venice

Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Day trip to Verona from Venice

Hi,
On May we will stay 4 nights in Venice.
We'll use public transportation.

In one of the days, we wish to do a day trip to Verona.

Would it be too much to see another lovely town on the way between Verona and Venice.

We are not into museums, therefore perhaps 4 hours strolling in Verona will do for us, and it'd allow us to visit another town for 2 hours (excluding transportation time).

If it sounds alright, Which would you recommend to see, for strolling around quaint picturesque streets and markets?

Thank you.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:14 PM

Train schedules here using italian city names:

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Towns on the way are Padova and Vicenza.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:25 PM

Vicenza is a smaller city with a lot to see, especially if into Palladian architecture which is all around town.

Verona is more famous and bigger and also has sights clustered in the town center - where there is a neat open-air market many days. In addition to a slew of neat churches and villas there is also Juliet's Balcony in a courtyard like in the play - Ersatz I think but still a favorite photo shot for many would be Juliets begging for their Romeos.

Trains take just an hour or so to Verona, slightly less to Vicenza - book tickets early to get discounts but full fare is not that much and on a day trip you never really know when you want to return. There are some regional trains with flat fare - just buy those the day of the train and then can use any regional train on that route - takes about 30 minutes longer than the ES or express trains on that route (no real high-speed trains on the route but ES trains are faster because they do not stop all the time like regional trains do.

For lots on Italian trains check www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. Regional trains can be crowded at rush hours but many have first class for a little extra - both 1st and 2nd being dirt cheap on regional trains (which do not even take reservations - come one come all). ES trains require reservations which automatically come with the ticket I believe.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:51 PM

Plenty to see on a day out in Verona.
The train station is not particularly close to the historical centre but here's our walk that we did a couple of years ago.
Leaving the station, we headed north to the interesting Basilica di San Zeno and then moved east to view the Castelvecchio and the old pedestrian bridge (we checked out the museum there but you may choose to give it a miss).
Next stop was the Cathedral Santa Maria Matricolare and then over the Porta di Pietra to the Teatro Romano and Castello San Pietri. Next stop: Giusti Gardens which are also on the eastern side of the river.
We made tracks to the Via Sottoriva to pick a restaurant for lunch among the medieval arcades. You now enter the busy part of town with droves of visitors seeking out Juliet's balcony and packing every available table in Piazza dell Erbe. Climbing the Torre dei Lamberti offers a good panorama of the city; have a look at the elaborate Scaligere Tombs; sit and enjoy a gelato in Piazza Bra.
It's probably time by now to head back to the train station...
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:54 PM

If you've never been to Venice before, I'd highly recommend spending all days in Venice rather than 5 hours in a train to see another city. You could make a lovely all day day trip of taking the vaporetto to Torcello, seeing the magnificent mosaics in church there, rest your eyes from the stone and water and sun of Venice with the soft green of fields and also vineyards, eat a fabulous lunch at the Locanda Cipriani, probably outside with pink tablecloths looking across vineyards to outlines of 2 old churches, one in curves, the other in angles.
You could then take the vaporetto back one stop to Burano and stroll for an hour walking off a bit of said lunch --look at lace, but also walk beyond the tourist area back to the interior of the island. The brightly colored buildings are required to be newly painted once a year, it's quiet and tranquil and (of course) flat. Then, if you like glass, stop at Murano, the last of the stops before you arrive back in the main part of Venice. I find it too crowded and commercial but the first time I went there, I was fascinated.

Vicenza is lovely, I've not yet been to Verona. In any event, buon viaggio!!
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 01:29 PM

SeeDee has a sweet itinerary for yous if you go to Verona.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 02:20 PM

Verona would make a lovely day trip (or Padua) but I absolutely would not try to shoehorn in another city - pick one or the other. It's a couple of hours each way on the train - manageable in a day but you will eat into your time too much if you break the journey at a second city.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 05:07 PM

Verona is certainly a good day trip, and while not a museum I would certainly visit the roman arena, as well as take a walking tour of the historic area...you can do a self guided one. Rather than squeezing in another stop, I would use those extra two hours for a leisurely lunch at a nice restaurant.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 05:17 PM

There is plenty to see in Verona to take up a whole day without going into any museums. There are many neighborhoods and lots of 'quaint picturesque streets and markets'. I also loved Padua and liked Vicenza quite a bit but I wouldn't try to cram two cities into the one day trip. But if after a few hours you feel you have seen enough of Verona, the other two are right on the way back to Venice.

Here's my photos of Verona - www.pbase.com/annforcier/italy__the_veneto
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 06:25 PM

I'm with cmstraf….a day's outing to Torcello is lovely. All the towns mentioned
do deserve more than a quick visit.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 08:38 PM

Love Venice and can never spend enough time there, and also loved Torcello and the other islands, but I always hankered to see Verona and Vicenza so understand your interest.

Agree that Verona would make a lovely day trip if you'd like a change. Atmosphere, piazzas, lovely city. Spent a week there in language class a couple of months ago. Lunch in Piazza del'Erbe sounds good.

I also liked my overnight in Vicenza since I wanted to see the Palladian architecture but agree with others that it would likely be too much as part of a day trip, tempting though it may be since it is "right on the way." (We also travel by train.)

I got a taxi from train to center of town in Verona, BTW, but the walk mentioned above sounds good.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 10:41 PM

Another big Verona fan here although my favourite thing about it is walking through the streets at night. The medieval atmosphere enhanced by careful lighting as well as the low hum of people sitting in cafes or the satisfying sound of classical music being played somewhere in the background makes Verona a delight for all the senses!
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 01:55 AM

SeeDee's tour is great, though after San Zeno, I didn't think a lot of the Cathedral.

San Zeno is awesome for its famous doors and its medieval wall paintings.
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 02:45 AM

Verona is a great place for a day trip. We spent a few nights there in 2012 and enjoyed our time there.

One of our favorite activities was sitting in Piazza Bra on steps near the big stone gate people watching after dinner. It was also during opera season, so we had great background music.

It's just a short train ride from Venice, so go and have fun. If you go to the touristy Jiulette's house make sure you rub her boob in the small courtyard statue,

Buon viaggio,
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

WWOOWW

Thank you so much fellows!

It's been so wonderful to read every post here!

You helped a lot!

We may definitely visit Vicenze on the way back from Verona.

Thanks!