Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   day trip to st moritz (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-to-st-moritz-782445/)

artibbs May 2nd, 2009 07:05 PM

day trip to st moritz

we are planning to stay in milan for a few days this coming september and we want to do a day trip to st moritz. i only see day excursion leaving on tuesdays of which we won't be able to do. is it possible for us to do it on our own? we are planning to take the train from milan to tirona then transfer train for st moritz. we will be using same route for our return trip. i have already check the train schedule and it seems it will be really tight. thanks.

swandav2000 May 2nd, 2009 10:06 PM

Hi artibbs,

I think it would be very easy to do on your own. What part of the trip is tight? The Swiss rail site shows it as quite straightforward.

However, you do know that the trip is 5h47 long in one direction, right? That means, if you turn right around and go back, you'll spend 12-13 hours inside a moving box in one day. Wow, that's not my idea of fun!

s

majorvonhapen May 3rd, 2009 04:20 AM

Hi Artibbs,

I'd have to agree with swandav, have a think again, about this trip.

We drove, from Lake Como, to St. Moritz, for a day trip, and while it was really nice in St. Moritz, the drive and scenery along the route made it one of the highlights of our trip. The scenery we saw whilst driving was out of this world!

What I'm trying to say is I won't do a 12-13 hour round trip in a train JUST for St. Moritz itself.

Hope this helps.

M.

valtor May 3rd, 2009 05:34 AM

We made a day trip to St. Moritz, but our main reason was not the visit of St. Moritz, but the trip with Bernina Express. It was a very long day trip, it was an organized tour and we liked and it and enjoyed the views.

A friend of us made the same, but not on his own. Drove till Tirano - Bernina Express to St. Moritz - train to Tirano - drive back to Milana. He said that it took to them more hours than it took to us, driving back to Milano he was very tired/

artibbs May 3rd, 2009 10:50 AM

Thank you very much for your replies. The reason we are planning to do this trip is to experience the Bernina Express and to catch a glimpse on some of the world's finest sceneries. I understand even if with an organized excursion the trip will take 13 hrs and available only on Tuesdays. We are arriving on a Tuesday and planning to do it on a Wednesday or Thursday. After checking the train schedules the earliest that we can leave Milan is 6:20am and arrive in Tirano 8:50am, and transfer to a train for St Moritz that will also leave 8:50am. Can we hook up with this schedule? Otherwise,we have to wait for a noon train that will arrive St.Moritz 3:15 PM. The train back is at 3:50Pm. Is the splendor of the Bernina Express worth this trip?

mari5 Jul 25th, 2009 05:48 PM

majorvonhapen: we will have a car so would it be possible for you to please DETAIL your route from Como to St. Moritz.?
(we won't do it as a day trip, but plan to take that route...either going north or south as part of a longer trip.
THANKS!
We've traveled in this vicinity several times, but have never been to St. Moritz. This will be in early October.

scatcat Jul 25th, 2009 07:51 PM

I would not depend on making that connection. In my experience, I have had consistent bad luck with Italian trains being on time. I can't even think of one time that I actually arrived or departed at the scheduled time. I never schedule a close connection, especially in Italy.