day trip to Sienna and San Gimignano

Dec 7th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

day trip to Sienna and San Gimignano

Looking for recommendations on companies that offer day trips out of Florence. Not overly excited by taking a coach tour but as there are just two of us we are having challenges finding a day tour that is not too expensive. Do any operators fill smaller vans or cars with independant travelers. Look forward to any/all suggestions.
Dec 7th, 2015, 08:53 PM

This is easily done by train or bus independently and for a cheaper cost. Is there a particular reason for wanting a tour?
Dec 7th, 2015, 11:08 PM

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Florence/Siena would be a good place to start.

Local public transport is relatively good if timing is a little flexible.
Dec 8th, 2015, 12:44 AM

I'd recommend Hertz or Avis and going on your own.

Just choose a small car it will help driving, but driving in Italy is not the nightmare some say it is.
Dec 8th, 2015, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions. The public transit options look great as we do have flexibility. I would be great with the small rental but at this stage i can see the fear in my wife's eyes whenever the topic comes up.
Dec 8th, 2015, 03:43 AM

We took the train to Sienna from Florence but then had to get a taxi as it is far from the area you will want to tour. A bus is more scenic and takes you right where you want to go.
Dec 11th, 2015, 08:26 AM

Here is an inexpensive hotel where we stayed in Paris:

It would be hard to visit both Siena and San Gimignano in one day using public transportation. Both merit more than an hour or two.

The bus is probably best for Siena. It leaves from outside the Santa Maria Novella train station in Florence, and goes to the center of Siena. You can get to San Gimignano from Siena by taking a train to Poggibonsi and then a bus from there. Then you could get back to Florence by changing buses in Poggibonsi, or taking the train from there to Florence. It's a two-hour trip from San Gimignano to Florence,

As stated above, the train station in Siena is down in the valley, but there are no buses between Siena and San Gimignano. There's an escalator in Siena that connects the train station to the main part of the town. I don't know how close it is to the Campo and the Duomo, though; we've never taken the train to Siena.

San Gimignano tends to be overwhelmed with tourists during the day, unless you go in the dead of winter. Siena also gets a lot of tourists, but it's a much bigger place. Still, once I was nearly crushed inside the Duomo, when a rip tide of tourists tried to get to the pulpit ahead of me.

If you can get a very early start, you might want to get to San Gimignano first, and leave before the hordes of day trippers arrive.
Dec 11th, 2015, 08:27 AM

Please ignore that first sentence. Obviously it belonged in a different post.
Dec 11th, 2015, 08:51 AM

rip tide
Dec 11th, 2015, 09:57 AM

My family and I did this a few years ago. We rented a car in Florence and drove to San Gimignano for a few hours and then to Siena. We were back in Florence by 7pm. The driving was very easy, highways most of the way. I don't remember exactly how long it took to get to San Gimignano but don't think it was two hours, more like an hour.
Dec 11th, 2015, 03:50 PM

<>

We caught a bus from Siena to San Gimignano last May. It went via Poggibonsi but some services are direct. There are more services on working days. Check http://www.tiemmespa.it/ for timetables

I don't think you could see very much if you attempted to visit both Siena and San Gimignano in one day.
Dec 12th, 2015, 07:22 AM

>>>><>

We caught a bus from Siena to San Gimignano last May. It went via Poggibonsi but some services are direct. There are more services on working days. Check http://www.tiemmespa.it/ for timetables <<<

Yes, I've taken the bus from Siena to San G without having to change before.

You really can't fit in San G and Siena in one day with public transport if you want to see anything.

One of the cheaper tour operators out of Florence that covers both towns in a day is CAF. Of course, you won't see a lot of each, but just a sample and some countryside stops.

This one is 11 hours and 55€.

http://www.caftours.com/excursion-to...andscapes.html

This one seems as if it would be a bit more rushed. 12 hours 80€

http://www.caftours.com/highlights-o...e-tasting.html

If you decide to do it on your own in one day, I would take an early transport to San G first because it would have less return options than Siena later in the day. Even at that, return options from Siena aren't very late. The train runs a bit later (about9:30pm) than the last bus (about 8:45pm). The problem with the train is you have to get there from the historic center. It's not that far, but you would need to bus or taxi. There is an escalator from the old town down to the bus station (takes about 10 minutes), but it's not conveniently located in the old town.
Dec 13th, 2015, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your assistance.
Dec 13th, 2015, 06:31 AM

kybourn, I've never taken these trips but what happens at lunch?
Dec 14th, 2015, 05:09 AM

>>>kybourn, I've never taken these trips but what happens at lunch?<<<

The first tour I linked says it gives free time in Siena for more sightseeing and lunch on your own. The 2nd tour linked includes lunch (with wine) at a vineyard outside of San G. I haven't taken these tours (usually do my own thing), but there has been some reviews on Fodor's of CAF tours. They seem to have cheaper options than a lot of the other companies running tours which is what the OP wanted.