Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Day Trip to Rouen From Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/day-trip-to-rouen-from-paris-988905/)

opaldog Aug 17th, 2013 02:27 PM

Day Trip to Rouen From Paris

I have purchased tickets for a quick trip to Rouen. We leave on the 9:00 train and depart on the 3:00 train,rt from Paris. I would be interested in any recommendations for lunch and sightseeing. I think with the limited time we will walk around the central city and go for lunch and do the Beaux Arts Musee. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

d_claude_bear Aug 17th, 2013 02:42 PM

We spent a longer day there in June--departed from Paris before 8:00 and returned on a 6:00 (or thereabouts) train.

The Beaux Arts had a wonderful Impressionism exhibit, part of a multi-city event. If it is still there, plan on at least an hour.

The Joan of Arc church is even more outstanding inside than from the outside.

grandmere Aug 17th, 2013 02:50 PM

Beautiful cathedral.

Gretchen Aug 17th, 2013 04:35 PM

Cannot say enough about the Beaux Artes muse Impressionist. Rouen is an interesting town, and you really should be able to do it via train, on your own, if you wanted to.

opaldog Aug 17th, 2013 05:26 PM

Glad to hear that the Beau Arts Museum is a good one. I will definitely plan on that. Thanks for the responses. Now, did anyone have any good dining experiences in Rouen?

d_claude_bear Aug 17th, 2013 06:16 PM

The exhibit of 100 prominent impressionist paintings ends 30 September.

rialtogrl Aug 17th, 2013 06:39 PM

This is a timely thread - I am planning a day trip to Rouen next month. I checked out tickets to the Impressionist exhibit, but it seems like there is availability on the weekend for internet sales. If anyone knows if you can just walk up and get tickets for that part, would be grateful to know.

Definitely going to the Beaux Arts museum regardless.

d_claude_bear Aug 17th, 2013 07:38 PM

In mid-June we just showed up and had no trouble getting tickets.

kja Aug 17th, 2013 08:26 PM

>did anyone have any good dining experiences in Rouen?

I enjoyed a dinner at La Couronne - rather formal, traditional, very well prepared dishes.

FrenchMystiqueTours Aug 18th, 2013 12:52 AM

Sorry I have no knowledge of restaurants in town but you can learn about restaurants and what to see and do in Rouen by looking at the tourist office website:

http://www.rouentourisme.com/

schnauzer Aug 18th, 2013 01:10 AM

The highlight in Rouen for me was the wrought iron museum. It is in a church (no longer used) and houses hundreds of pieces, from grilles, to signs, well everything made of wrought iron. I LOVED it!

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/f...ew-100704.html. Here are the details of where it is, near beaux arts musee. IMO, definitely worth a visit.

Take something warm to wear. When we left Paris it wasn't too bad but the temperature dropped considerably by the time we got to Rouen and we froze.

opaldog Aug 18th, 2013 02:56 AM

gretchen, rialtogrl - We are definitely going to the Beaux Artes Museum. FrenchMystiqueTours - I will check out the tourism web site for ideas. kja - thanks for the La Couronne suggestion. Time is very limited so may just stop somewhere for a quick bite. schnauzer - the wrought iron museum sounds very interesting,the sort of thing I would enjoy, thanks all (d_claude_bear, grandmere)for your replies.

rialtogrl Aug 18th, 2013 07:15 AM

Thank you d_claude! We are going on a Thursday, will just show up to get the tickets for the impressionist exhibit.

irishface Aug 18th, 2013 07:47 AM

I am thinking this is not what you meant when you asked for dining ideas. However, I remember during my few hours in Rouen, I bought a delicious sandwich on a baguette from a street vendor and sat on the curb across from the cathedral and enjoyed the view while I ate.

emi_Zehcnas Aug 18th, 2013 12:41 PM

Hello !

I'am from Rouen.
Recommendations for lunch :
La FrabriK, On the banks of Rouen. Traditional brewery, Tapas and and good home.
La Couronne, place du vieux marché : The oldest inn in France.
Le petit verre d'eau, Rue du Père Adam : Wine Bar. Charcuterie platter, Foie gras.

Recommendations for sightseeing :

Musée des beaux Arts, Cathédrale de Rouen, the docks. Rue du gros horloge the medieval street where you can visit the big clock and have a beautiful view of Rouen.

Patty Aug 18th, 2013 01:03 PM

We had an excellent meal at Gill (I would take a train to Rouen just to eat there again) but it's definitely more of a leisurely meal. I've also eaten at La Couronne and think it will take longer than you want to spend eating lunch. My rec for a quick meal would be L'Espiguette. We had the lunch formule and it was reasonably quick, cheap and yummy. Get there early as the place filled up fast.

I also loved the iron museum and climbing up the Gros Horloge.

nini Aug 18th, 2013 01:03 PM

We enjoyed lunch at Creperie le St Romain located on 52 rue St Romain. It is located near the cathedral.

tdk320n Aug 18th, 2013 02:23 PM

TTT

opaldog Aug 18th, 2013 06:19 PM

Lots of good recommendations from all, thanks. emi_Zehcnas, I will certainly look into your ideas for lunch (also Patty and nini, thanks) Irishface, I like your idea of a quick baquette as well. Depending on how much time we are spending on sightseeing we may end up doing that.

Underhill Aug 18th, 2013 07:25 PM

See at least the outside of the magnificent cathedral painted by Monet and Turner. There's a small old town in the midst of the city, with interesting half-timbered houses.