Day trip to Rouen from Paris

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Catherine

Day trip to Rouen from Paris

Our family of five is leaving in one week for ten days in Paris. I would love to put in a day trip out of the city. I'm wondering if Rouen is do-able in one day. Last time I was there (20 years ago!) I drove with a friend and we did it easily, but I'm not sure of the train schedules, length of journey, etc. Does anyone have any input? Also, if there are other towns/villages that really bowled you over that are an easy day trip, please let me know. Are children are older (11,14,23) so their attention spans are longer. Merci!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Monica

Yes, Rouen is doable in a day. I’m going to Rouen in May (on a Monday) and got these train times. Check out www.sncf.com to see if the times are different for your day of travel.

Depart Paris:
9:15 - 10:21am
10:44 – 11:57am

Return:
4:03 – 5:14pm
4:42 – 6:25
5:02- 6:29
5:18 – 6:43
5:36 – 6:46
6:00 – 7:07
6:23 – 7:50
7:00 – 8:06pm

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Sue

Day trip is easily do-able; I did it last time in Paris. Think the train ride was under 2 hrs., from Gare St. Lazare, perhaps? Gare in Rouen is near everything, so no need for taxis, etc. There were lots of choices of train times, also.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Monica

PS: Here's the tourist web site for Rouen. Email them and ask for a town map. I got mine about 2 weeks after requesting one.
http://www.mairie-rouen.fr/gb/tourism/

Yes, the Gare is St Lazare.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Patrick

I first did a day trip to Rouen from Paris by train and it was easy. I'm not sure what all you've done, but here is a whole other suggestion based on the age of the kids.
You might want to rent a car for the day either in Paris, or on the outskirts. In one day you can easily drive to Giverny and do a morning visit of Monet's house and gardens, then drive off to the coast along Etretat -- a spectacular sight. Next go to Honfleur, a pretty old Norman town with half timbered buildings and a pretty harbour -- a great place to have lunch along the harbour at an outdoor cafe. From there you can stop in Rouen in the afternoon -- see the cathedral, the place where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake and enjoy the ambiance of the city. You can still return to Paris by early evening. This sounds like a lot, but we did it, leaving early in the morning from Avis at St. Sulpice and felt it was simply a spectacular day. We actually arrived at Giverny before it opened and had coffee and pastries across the road in the little garden cafe while waiting for it to open. We were back in Paris just before dark.