Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Rhodes - how to make the best of it

Aug 22nd, 2013, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

We will be visiting Rhodes for the first time for 5 hours with a ferry from the Turkish coast on Saturday and would like to spend all our time in Rhodes town.

Any recommendations to make the best of our time? What to see and where to eat the best souvlaki or gyros?
Aug 22nd, 2013, 06:14 AM

You have to visit the medivial city. It is amazing. And don't forget to relax at St Pauls Bay!
Aug 22nd, 2013, 06:20 AM

You don't have much time to go to Lindos and the beach and in any case you've said that you prefer to stay in Rhodes Town. It's a walled town and it's easy to get into from the docks and ferry area. The town has narrow streets that are traffic free in the main and are lined with shops, cafes, restaurants and bars.

Have a good wander round and choose a place where the menu and view suits you, as the food is usually pretty good in most places.
Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:49 AM

As a past resident of Rhodes let me give you a few comments.

First, NEVER sit outside a restaurant in the Old Town with wicker chairs. The same applies to the harbour area of the New Town. Wicker chairs = inflated tourist prices. Simple as that.

The Old Town is primarily interested in dumb cruise ship tourists who are there for the day and will not return. The only objective is to get their money before they get back on the ship.

So while the Old Town is great to walk around in, keep your money in your pocket. That's my advice.

Wander off the main shopping streets into some of the small back streets. The Old Town is still home to a lot of people, a living town. You won't get lost if you simply remember, water flows downhill. Go downhill and you will always come to the harbour eventually.

Frankly, good restaurants in the Old or New Town are hard to find. Most cater to tourists unless you really get off the beaten path and as such, most Greeks would not eat in most of them.

There are a couple of good souvlaki/gyros places I could suggest but they would be hard to describe directions to. Fortunately, most are ok if not the top choices for locals. Basically, it's hard for a Greek to do much wrong with Gyros.

With only 5 hours you don't have time to see much of anything. There is a small museum in the Old Town and of course the Palace of the Knights. Not authentic by the way. It was rebuilt by the Italians during their occupation of the island. With no original plans, they built what they thought it would have looked like.

Really, the best of what Rhodes has to offer is outside town and needs time to get to. You don't have that. Frankly, I wonder why anyone would even go for a day trip and just for 5 hours.
Aug 22nd, 2013, 12:13 PM

I suppose your 5 hrs are without customs/passport control and walk from the boat/catamaran to the old city.
The walled city is a gem, the knights palace and the archeological museum a must. The better restaurants are rather close to the eastern city wall: Laganis, Nireas, etc.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ty-TG-C-1.html
Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:58 PM

See the Palace of the Grand Master and Street of Knights.

At the bottom of S of K is Meg. Alexandrou Square.

Ilias Lalaounis is located here. I L is Greece's greatest Goldsmith.

Even if you don't want to buy jewellery, you should go in to see the spectacular merchandise on display.

Lots of souvenir shops in the Old Town.

You can walk over to the Aquarium to view the beautiful beach.

There are patio restaurants here attached to the hotels that face the beach.

There is a very good patio restaurant near the
cemetery on walk to the beach if you go past
the post office.

I stayed at the posh Rodos Park Hotel for 5 days.

Thin
Aug 23rd, 2013, 06:51 AM

I stayed for 7 years Pepper and pretty much disagree with everything you have written.

There are a lot of goldsmiths on the island of Rhodes. I am not aware of any that have any real claim to being 'Greece's greatest goldsmith'. A Google search does not turn anything up. Many jewellery shops sell mass produced jewellery and many sell individually crafted items. The only thing special about the shop you are referring to are their prices. I can find better prices in many other shops for equally as original (one of a kind designs) pieces. Rather than 'Greece's greatest goldsmith', you might have said Rhodes most expensive jewellery store'.

The beach near the Acquarium (on either side of the spit) is not particularly beautiful, very crowded and all the oil, sewage, etc. from the ships and boats entering/exiting the harbour is to be found there.

Again, patio restaurnts with wicker chairs are to be avoided if at all possible. That includes those in front of hotels.

The cemetery you refer to is the Turkish cemetery. It is in fact noteworthy for that reason and as the place where Lawrence Durrell lived and from which period his book, 'Reflections on a Marine Venus' was written about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Durrell
(see picture of the little gatekeepers lodge in the link)

Whether the Rodos Park is 'posh' or not is debateable. Tripadvisor only rates it number 8 in Rhodes Town. There are also other hotels out of town that probably rate higher as well.
Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:33 AM

Thin

Have stayed at the Rodos Park as well and i totally loved it.
Great location next to the old city, quiet and with a great service. They even had Etro amenities !!!!

Ilias Lalaounis is one of the best jewel shops of Greece, his jewels are exclusive and there is even a very interesting museum in Athens with his work, that is worth visiting.
Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM

Here is a link to the website of the Ilias Lalaounis Museum :
http://www.lalaounis-jewelrymuseum.gr/en
Aug 23rd, 2013, 09:16 AM

ROFL!!

Jackie Onassis and Liz Taylor both wore Ilias Lalaounis!!!

Jackie wore Ilias Lalaounis earrings when she married Ari.

That is how far out of the loop you are.

You seem very uneducated to me. Did you graduate from secondary school?

Now you are claiming you lived on Rodos.

For years you claimed you lived in Italy, Mrs. Italian Doughnuts, hence your old sn.

Trip Advisor ratings mean nothing.

Anyone who knows anything about Rodos knows that the Rodos Park Hotel is posh.

Thin, laughing at all the stupid people who post here
Aug 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM

Is there a chair warehouse where all the rip off restaurants buy their seating? If you don't intend to overcharge do they stop you buying wicker chairs? What chairs should I look out for to get a reasonably priced meal?
Aug 23rd, 2013, 10:30 AM

Thank you, Thingorjus. That was priceless!
Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM

Thin, you are not going to win this one, even if you whack the doughnut around the head with a L.Vuiton handbag. He ran a bar on Rodos for six years, cornered the market in cane chairs, owned a Vespa and classic sports car on Rodos, walks for days in the backwoods, wears zip-off trousers and lives in Ottowa.

He is not an Italian doughnut, more your Berliner, maybe a Krapfen.

But not a Zepster.
Aug 23rd, 2013, 06:53 PM

Again I'll ask, provide a link that says Lalaounis is Greece's greatest goldsmith Pepper. You aren't going to find one. He is A Greek goldsmith and he is also very good at self-advertising. Go ahead and do a Google search. Here, I'll do it for you.
http://www.google.ca/#fp=1613f502405...ellery&start=0

Now remove all of his own websites and the links referring to the museum and what do you have left?

What he is good at is promoting himself, his jewellery is good but so is the jewellery of a lot of other goldsmiths. Rodos has plenty of fine goldsmiths to choose from and if someone wants a piece as a reminder of their time on Rodos then I suggest they pick one of them rather than a guy from Athens.

If you are going to make a statement, 'Greece's greatest jeweller' then you need to be prepared to back up that statement with references/links that prove it.

That some celebrity has worn his jewellery proves nothing about his greatness. He's great at saying he's great, I'll give him that.

Regarding my education, I don't think you really want to get into a 'mine is bigger than your's contest.

As for 'claiming' I lived on Rhodos, I lived there for 7 years and have never lived in Italy, I have no idea where you got that idea from. But again, if you have some way of proving differently Pepper, feel free to offer your proof.

I agree Trip advisor ratings mean nothing. Nor does your rating of the Rodos Park as 'posh' mean anything either. Anybody that knows anything about anything knows that the word 'posh' is meaningless in today's world other than the stage name of a horrible example of British womanhood.

The Rodos Park does not rate highly in any ranking of world class hotels. It's a nice little hotel and that's all. No better than a whole lot of others and there are a whole lot of others far better than the Rodos Park.

I knew that building back when it was a run down old building being used for a nursing college. They did a decent job of restoring it and made it into a decent little hotel and that's all it is.

'Posh', hilarious. Talk about someone being out of the loop. That word went out with the Queen Mary. Who uses the word 'posh' in this day and age? Answer, lower middle class Brits perhaps and those who have been taught English by one of them perhaps.

Rubicund, the wicker chairs have to do with the Greek way of thinking. If you have wicker chairs you have an upmarket place and can charge more. In the Old Town and elsewhere, the presence of the wicker chairs is a simple way to tell those who don't know, which places to avoid.

If you go to the New Town and along the Mandraki Harbourfront, you will find the Market across the street with a row of restaurants all along the front. All with wicker chairs, all with high prices.

As I wrote, unless you know where to go, it is hard to find a good restaurant in the tourist areas of Rhodes Town itself. If you want a good and reasonably priced meal you are better off going out of town and away from the main tourist areas like Ixia, Faliraki, Pefkos, Lindos, etc. The more tourists there are the poorer the food actually is. Is that a surprise to anyone?

I LIVED on Rodos for 7 years as I have said, who here is likely to have more knowledge of that island than me? When some local Greeks friends and I wanted to have a meal, we did not go into Rhodes Town to find it. We went to a village, any village.

All those restaurants in the Old and New Town are CLOSED in the off-season. Why? Because they are for tourists.

If you want a good restaurant on the island to go to I'll give you one. Go to Kamiros Skala on the north coast. As you turn in to the right there is a large parking lot (ferry for Halki Island docks here). Park and walk into the restaurant that was on your right as you turned in. That's arguably the finest seafood restaurant on the island. I don't even know the name. I never bothered to find out. There are a couple of others nearby and across the main road. This is the one right next to the parking lot.

And the chairs Rubicund are ordinary wooden chairs.
Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:22 PM

And take three compasses.
Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:47 PM

The one saving grace is . . . his posts are sooooooo long and sooooooo boring, no one reads them.
Aug 24th, 2013, 06:12 AM

I don't have to Google ilias lalaounis because I get a Christmas card from him every year.

And I could believe you lived on Rodos for 7 years if there were a prison or insane asylum on the island.

Thin
Aug 24th, 2013, 07:02 AM

Ah, you get a Christmas card, how nice. And that means what exactly? Are we to assume that since you get a Christmas card, that makes him 'Greece's greatest goldsmith'????
Yes, Christmas cards are a fine old Greek tradition.ROTFLMAO All the 'Greece's greatest' send them.

You can't back up your statement Pepper. You can't argue your case so you turn to feeble attempts to insult me. Very mature Pepper. For a 7 year old.
Aug 24th, 2013, 07:23 AM

I'm sure Baybars is extremely interested in this insider's chat!