day trip to Pompeii-good tour companies?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:20 AM
mimi

day trip to Pompeii-good tour companies?

Can anyone recommend a good tour company that conducts day trips to Pompeii, or any companies to avoid? I read another posting about someone who did not like Green Line Tours. Just wanted some info. before deciding. Thanks!!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jim

Wife and I did a day trip to Pompeii and Sorrento on Caranni Tours. Enjoyed it very much. Wonderful group lunch in Pompeii. Tour guide (Fabio) was multi-lingual and very personable. Cost was around 45 EURO PP. Booked thru Natalie Brown, who sometimes lurks around here.

Only thing that kinda of made me mad was that for some unexplained reason, they wouldn't pick us up or drop us off at our lodging, yet everybody else seemed to received that treatment. We had to walk to get to the Caranni office near the P. Republica. Turned out to be a very enjoyable walk, both early in the morning and late that night.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 01:24 PM
Karen

Jim,
Do you have a website or contact info for them?

Thanks

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:23 PM
Natalie

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the recommendation and I am glad you enjoyed the tour. I am sorry you were not able to be to be picked-up/dropped-off at your accommodation and I have spoken to the tour company regarding this.

Karen, please feel free to take a look at our website www.nlbtravel.co.uk regarding the tour, or contact me at [email protected]

Regards

Natalie

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:37 AM
Steve James

Hello Mimi,

If you're planning the trip from Rome, other Tour companies besides Greenline & Carrani are Vastours and Appianline.
Since they all offer basically the same tour, how good it is depends very much on the guide, - and that's the luck of the draw ...

Jim - are you sure you went for that price?

Last time I checked they all charge about EURO 95.00 (inc. lunch & admission).

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. You can also do it independently for about Euro 50.00.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
sandi

We used Golden Tours which we learned about at our hotel in Sorrento (Hotel Villa Maria at Via Capo,8). In 2000 it cost about $75.00 for 3 of us to be picked up in front of the hotel and taken to Pompeii and Vesuvius and dropped of later that day. The guide was wonderful. The price did not include admission to these sites.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
Q

Are you leaving from Sorrento or Rome?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Sky

Hello Mimi,

Why don't you go to the American Express office? They will be able to arrange your Pompeii day trip or you should talk to your hotel front/desk staff(s), I am sure you will have no problem arranging trip to Pompeii. Pompeii is a must see site. I have been to Pompeii three times.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Mimi

Thank you for the information. I was planning on leaving from Sorrento. Someone else suggested to take the train and hire a guide upon arrival.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Walter

Mimi: The audioguides at Pompeii are very good. Since '96 I've taken 1 bustour and 3 solo daytrips to Pompeii.
My advice, get the audioguide, a good guidebook & map and have a ball exploring the site on your own.
Also pack a picnic lunch (quiet places around the Amphitheatre or eat at the onsite tourist restaurant and definitely exit the site by the "Villa dei Misteri".
Some info that might be helpful at www.twenj.com click-on "Excursions". Regards, Walter

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Laura

Mimi,

Any military affiliation? USO tours at the base in Naples is cheap and wonderful.