Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Normandy from Paris: is Rouen worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:08 PM
Bennett Schneir

Now that I know what is and isn't open Sundays and Mondays (thanks everyone!), I'd love to pick the brains of the Paris experts on this: we'd like to do a day trip into Normandy (we're there for the food & sights, but not the D-Day stuff). It's an easy 70min train ride into Rouen. Is Rouen worth a day trip? Is there a better day trip idea? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Bennett

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:44 AM
Russell

Bennett, <BR>Rouen's fine for a day trip. One of the most interesting sights is the cathedral, which has an especially high bell tower. Close by is their great clock and well as the spot where Joan of Arc bade farewell. There's enough to do to keep you busy (with a fine lunch as well) from a late morning arrival through a mid to late afternoon departure back to Paris. Besides Rouen, you may also want to visit the Seine Valley, which runs north of Rouen up to the coast, and Honfleur (a lovely fishing village). <BR>In the alternative, consider a day trip out to Chartres to see the cathedral or possibly to Giverney to see Monet's house and gardens.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:20 AM
Clairobscur

Rouen is certainly worth a daytrip. Apart from the cathedral, the old streets and medieval buildings are quite interesting. <BR> <BR>There are a lot of other daytrips, depending on your interests. Chartres has already been pointed out. The stainted glasses are truly magnificient (though i must admit I'm especially moved by stainted glasses) and also has a number of very old houses. <BR> <BR>If you're interested in medieval buildings, you could check Provins (a little town east of Paris) which still has several medieval monuments and part of its walls (also extented subterranean galleries, part of them can be visited). I point out this town since (as opposed to other regions), monuments from the middle-ages are fairly rare around Paris. <BR> <BR>Provins is in my opinion especially interesting if you're with kids and during the summer, since several shows are organized (tournaments, prey birds shows, demonstrations of siege machines...)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:28 AM
Joe

Russell is right on. Only thing to add is a very interesting "old section" around the Cathedral. Many beautiful half-timber buildings. A day is just about right for Rouen.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:55 AM
Lizzie

Sorry to butt in on the question here folks, but my boyfriend and I are going to Paris in November - over Thanksgiving - and I'd love to make a day trip or overnight like the one Bennett is planning. We are cold-weather people, but will Normandy be miserable that time of year? Is it particularly windy/frigid? I'm more interested in the food/sights, as well, and would like to see Honfleur. Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:59 PM
Nancy

I took a day trip to Rouen in May and loved it. Left around 9:00 am and returned on the 5:00 pm train. There are 3 beautiful cathedrals and lots of half-timbered houses to view, plus the clock tower and a lovely park. I took the walk recommended in the Day Trips from Paris book. Also visited the wrought iron museum which was very interesting. I have a Paris trip report if you're interested which describes my trip to Rouen. E-mail me directly. Nancy

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:55 AM
Christina

I also found Rouen to be one of the best day trips from Paris. I don't think anyone's mentioned the tower/dunjon where Joan was supposedly held, I went up in that and that was interesting also. In addition to two old cathedrals, the new Joan of Arc church was actually very attractive and interesting architecture, it's worth a peek inside (extensive modern stained glass); it's right next to the square where she was torched. There is also a Joan of Arc museum which is touristy kitsch beyond belief, but kind of funny for that reason, it's not expensive. I think Rouen is a more interesting day trip that Chartres, myself.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:15 PM
clairobscur

Lizzie : <BR> <BR>Difficult to answer, since I don't know what your personal references for "windy" or "frigid" are (in the same way that the concept of "warm water" isn't probably the same for people living in Florida and Quebec) <BR> <BR>In my opinion, Normandy isn't very windy/cold in November. But the weather will probably be overcast, rainy, at best cool and possibly even cold. Along the coast it could be windy as well. Though one never knows.It's very unpredictable, here. You could be lucky and enjoy a sunny weather. Don't count on it, though.

Old Dec 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick Stieves 2012 Paris suggests early (ca 8am) train to Vernon, visit Monet gradens at Giverny catch train to Rouen for lunch and visit cathedral then back to Paris - sounds doable
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>Rick Stieves 2012 Paris suggests early (ca 8am) train to Vernon, visit Monet gradens at Giverny catch train to Rouen for lunch and visit cathedral then back to Paris<<

The Rouen post is over 10 years old. The Rick Steves recommendation is why many of us ignore his itineraries.

>> - sounds doable<<

perhaps - but nothing I would ever do or recommend to others. 8AM start is too early, and Rouen deserves most of a full day - even an overnight if possible.

Stu Dudley