Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Day trip to Morocco self tour or sign up for tour group
Notices

Day trip to Morocco self tour or sign up for tour group

Feb 11th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Day trip to Morocco self tour or sign up for tour group

We will have a rental car at our resort in andalucia. Want to spend a day visiting Gilbraltar and Morocco and maybe get down to Casablanca. Is that too ambitious for a single day? Is it safe to travel and self-tour in this area? Or should we sign up for a tour group.
Feb 11th, 2012, 04:50 AM

It's absolutely safe, but also an absolute waste of time for a single day. Wait to go to Morocco until you have at minimum a week to enjoy that wonderful country, and skip Casablanca and visit Marrakesh, Fez, Agadir, Essouira, the Atlas Mountains, and other places. Chances are, if you just zoom over to Morocco for a day in Casablanca, you won't appreciate the experience or get much of an understanding of the place. It's like spending a day in Tijuana and thinking you've experienced Mexico.
Feb 11th, 2012, 05:02 AM

seat61.com/morocco details your route 1 day experience not ideal. make more time if you can or skip it check your consualr advisories and your care rental contract generally you cannot go there due to theft risk.Was there for the High Atlas Ultra Marathon a few years back the south is wonderful but the north not so much pretty tourist trappy in many areas for me.Maroc forums are bad for scammers and attack touts/trolls check for no profiles firstimers carefully worst on the boards for this I never wire money always pay with CC check consualar advisories and get trip cover.

visitmorocco.com tourguides.viator.com reputable.

Good luck!
Feb 11th, 2012, 05:17 AM

I agree that it's safe, but that's a lot for a single day. For whirlwind trips like that I find it easier to go with a tour. Yes, it will only whet your appetite, but for me that's okay. Besides, spending one day in a city does not preclude you from coming back later and spending more time. In fact, it will probably give you even more incentive to do so.

I would pick Gibraltar for a day trip, or maybe a tour that does Gibraltar and Tangier. I agree that going to Tangier to experience Morocco is somewhat like going to Tijuana to experience Mexico, but IMO it is still worth the trip. Casablanca has a recognizable name because of the classic movie, but I didn't find it nearly as interesting as the other Moroccan cities I visited, and I wouldn't choose it for a day trip.

Go with your gut. We each travel in our own way and what's right for one person is all wrong for someone else. If you are feeling inclined to make that quick run, then my advice is to do it.

Search this Thread