Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece & Istanbul in 12 days, you think that's enough time? Please help...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2012, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...
I'm planning a solo trip to Greece and Istanbul next year. I want to plan it as early as possible so I have enough time to scout out places and air fares. So here's my situation: I'm only allowed 2 weeks off from work. In a span of 14-days I only have 12 to spare if you deduct my travel time. Do you guys think that's a decent amount of time to explore both places? Am I being too ambitious?
Greece would be my main destination. I'm interested in seeing historical sights and the beaches which is really what I'm dying to see and experience (scuba diving). I was thinking of tweaking Fodor's suggested itinerary to accomodate my time restrictions. I just don't want to compromise not seeing more of Greece just so I can visit Istanbul. On theflip side, I don't want to missed the opportunity to visit Istanbul because I would be so close.

I guess the point is, I want to experience as much as I can in every trip that I make.
So please offer your advice. I'll take any suggestions you have on places to see, itinerary, best transportation option, etc. BTW, I mainly want to see Hagia Sofia and some Byzantine architecture. Thanks!!!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 06:42 AM

We went to both Istanbul and Greece this spring -- for about 3.5 weeks. IMO you ought to skip Istanbul this time and plan a trip to Istanbul and beyond for later. Istanbul is a very large and vibrant city. It deserves several days at least. And if you're interested in history and archeology, there's a lot in Turkey. As well as beaches and scuba diving. I really wanted to go to Ephesus, but we weren't able to make time this trip. Next time.

But you say Greece is your main destination. There's a lot to see there too, especially if you have the time: Athens of course, the Peloponnese, the many islands (Santorini is a must), Delphi. Two shy weeks won't get you everywhere. Given your interest in beaches and scuba diving, you'll probably want to spend a lot of time in the islands. Crete might be a good destination for you: more historical ruins than the average island.

Research what you want to see and do in Greece. I'm sure you'll fill your time and more.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 04:59 PM
kja

I'm with Mimar: If we are correct that your primary interest is Greece, you'll probably have a difficult enough time trying to fit what you want to see into 12 days. It sounds like you will also enjoy Turkey when you have a couple of weeks to give to it. Enjoy!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM

You don't have enough time for both countries unless you just want a been-there-done-that sort of experience. You're going to be on the move the whole time if you try it.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:41 PM
sph

We just returned from a trip to Greece and Turkey. We had 15 days total including travel days so only a few days less than you have. We traveled to Athens and directly on to Santorini via air flight - stayed in Oia for 3 nights. We then took the ferry to Naxos for 4 nights and back to Athens via ferry for 3. Flight to Istanbul for 4 nights.

You can do a similar trip I would take out one night in Naxos and one night in Athens. We had an excellent trip and going to both is highly recommended. I would not change a thing unless I just wanted a beach type of vacation and then I would just go to all of the greek islands and go to Turkey on a separate trip. The above was a great itinerary for our first trip to Greece and Turkey.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 05:52 AM

sph must not be too interested in history and archeology if s/he thought one day in Athens enough.

There are examples of Byzantine architecture in Greece (and Italy). Look up Byzantine churches in Athens and elsewhere. And the town of Mystras in the Peloponnese looks fascinating.